News The crane.....

Biff215

The old union contracts prohibited the electrical work being done at night. The new ones do allow it.
Interesting. I remember years ago we discussed the safety issues, particularly the crane and basket near the castle. Certainly makes sense from a show perspective to not do this during the day.

cheezbat

I believe they light the castle on non-party nights as well, but I would agree that projections could achieve a “similar” effect. It’s not often I’d suggest WDW do less work but this is one of those times for me.
Do they really? As a passholder, ive visited so many times during the Christmas season and haven’t seen them in person since at least 2012. I know it used to be for everyone, but I thought they made it an exclusive thing now where you only get to see the lighting happen during the event show.

Biff215

Tom P.

They’ve been doing this for so many years now and I’m used to it, but I don’t like it. I also don’t much care for the castle dreamlights anymore. Been there done that.

Personally, I don’t see why they don’t just skip doing this now and just use the projection mapping for a similar effect. After all, it would save them LOTS of time and money, and they only use it for the Christmas parties anyway.
While I see your point, I for one am glad to see them actual doing something real and physical instead of projections and screens for a change.

Goofyernmost

While I see your point, I for one am glad to see them actual doing something real and physical instead of projections and screens for a change.
Aren't the projections actually the change. Disney has been doing the for real for over 60 years. The castle projections are relatively very recent. One of the last big expensive things they did for real was the Castle Cake... remember how that went over. I don't know why the try to do anything anymore. We get what we ask for.

Goofyernmost

I liked the cake.
That makes two Three of us and I am not ashamed to the tell that to the whimsically dead. It was great, creative and I'm sure I wish I had what it cost to do that in my retirement account. Many take their theme parks way too seriously.

Last edited:

boufa

I love the people who complain about the crane but have not realized that it has not been up during park hours in several years. There is no longer anything to hate... unless you love the small spot of concrete where the crane is stored during the day (when it isn't in use)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They’ve been doing this for so many years now and I’m used to it, but I don’t like it. I also don’t much care for the castle dreamlights anymore. Been there done that.

Personally, I don’t see why they don’t just skip doing this now and just use the projection mapping for a similar effect. After all, it would save them LOTS of time and money, and they only use it for the Christmas parties anyway.
Projectins don't have anywhere near the intensity and impact of the LED night sources. And haven't we had enough of projection mapping? Once you've see one, you've seen them all - and they are everywhere now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Projectins don't have anywhere near the intensity and impact of the LED night sources. And haven't we had enough of projection mapping? Once you've see one, you've seen them all - and they are everywhere now.

I'll put you down for covering the castle in LED screens, then.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom