The Choice Competition Thread

DSquared

Disney's Nature Glen

Drawing (3).png

Since Disney's Animal Kingdom can no longer use live animals, the park will now use a more broad theme... nature and humanity's impact on it. It will also focus on the history of nature as we know it, and even some of myth. The park already has many great attractions that can be retooled to suit the parks new needs, so here is a rundown of new changes and additions to the park.

*Note - the format below is as follows: # on map, name, description of changes with new names underlined, price in quotes

akmap2015.jpg

Oasis
1. The Oasis Exhibits - The area is made into a sitting area/park. The biggest change will be the animal exhibits being cleaned up and made into sitting areas. (1 million)

Discovery Island
2. It's Tough To Be a Bug - The show is moved and replaced with an updated Symbiosis . The theater remains mostly the same. The section at the end where you can meet the bugs is just removed in favor of a new path around the tree. (10 million)

Africa
6. Kilimanjaro Safaris - The area is slightly reduced to a Jungle Cruise sized area with new AA animals. It also gets 'New' added to the name. In the back, there is a new path leading to almost an exactly similar cloned A Bug's Land. This one expands more on scenery though. (350 million)

7. Pangami Forrest Trails - This area serves as the hub to the path to Bug's Land, as well as a new indoor Meet and Greet with The Lion King Stars. This is where you can meet the performers from the show in Harambe, in costume of course! (5 million)

Rafiki's Planet Watch

Since this is based all on live animals, it gets some re-imagining. It becomes Industrialville, a bleak city street with no living thing besides humans in sight. (10 million for props, facades, ect.)

Skyscraper Swing -This will be a new chairswings ride that brings you up (there's stuff around so you can't see the trees in back), and shows you what man's destruction has done to the world around you. (20 million)

Nature Forgotten will be a dark ride that shows you how nature and humanity affects each other, how humans have destroyed parts of natue, and how to solve it. It uses fire, water, air, scent, and many other things to show the true nature of nature and humanity. (150 million)

Asia
12. Flights of Wonder - This exotic bird show has it's theater rebuilt into more of an indoor style, and features a re-imagined version of Journey into The Jungle Book. (20 million)

13. Marajah Jungle Trek - This walkthrough gets a new theme and is re-imagined into Jungle Meet and Safari Greet, a larger version of the old Meet and Greet area from the old Camp Minnie-Mickey. (10 million)

Dinoland
18. Finding Nemo: The Musical - This show has no purpose being where it is. It is taken out in exchange for The Good Dinosaur: An Adventure on Stage, which will be a new stage show using advanced puppeteers and some AA figures similar to The Lion King on Broadway. The theater is also updated.(50 million)

Here's a rundown of total costs:

Oasis Exhibits - 1 million
Symbiosis - 10 million
A Bug's Land/New Kilimanjaro Safaris - 350 million
Meet and Greet with The Lion King Stars - 5 million
Industrialville - 180 million
Journey Into Jungle Book - 20 million
Jungle Safari Meet and Greet - 10 million
The Good Dinosaur - 50 million

I hope you enjoyed Disney's Nature Glen

Brer Panther

Disney’s Animal Kingdom: A Renovation
Disney’s Animal Kingdom without the animals? Isn’t the whole point of Disney’s Animal Kingdom to see animals up close and personal? Of course, we still have the magic of Audio-Animatronics. Plus, Disney has lots of animal-themed movies to choose from, such as The Lion King, The Jungle Book, and PIXAR’s upcoming The Good Dinosaur. Let’s see what the now-real animal free park has in store for us.
The Oasis and Discovery Island
The animals that once inhabited the Oasis and Discovery Island have all been released into the wild. So what’s left? Nothing but foliage. Not really exciting, but we don’t come to Discovery Island for thrills, do we? A show based on the 2009 DisneyNature film Earthhas also opened in place of It’s Tough to Be a Bug!.
WDWAK_Tree_of_Life.jpg
Africa
Somehow, I believe that if Kiliminjaro Safaris, the park’s flagship attraction, were to go, Disney fans would freak out. Never fear, it’s still around, but the animals you encounter on the ride have been replaced with extremely lifelike animatronics. The Pangani Forest Exploration Trail had to go, however. Where gorillas once played is a small play area for the little ones, Gorilla’s Grove. Where okapi and hippopotami could once be found is a buffet restaurant that serves “hippo-sized proportions”. And the meerkats have been replaced by a theater where Tarzan: the Musical plays daily, and a gift shop called Professor Porter’s Traders.
kilimanjaro_safaris1.jpg
Rafiki’s Planet Watch
With the petting zoo out of the way, the land once occupied by Rafiki’s Planet Watch can now be used for three new areas. Where the Wildlife Express Train once chugged along is now the Pridelands, an area themed to one of Disney’s most popular animated movies, The Lion King. Guests can relive scenes from the movie on a new dark ride called The Lion King: Simba’s Quest, dine on some grubs at the Hakuna Matata Restaurante, explore the spooky Elephant Graveyard play area, fly over the park on Zazu’s Flight, or run with the wildebeest on a new roller coaster; Stampede!. The park’s incredibly popular Festival of the Lion King has also been moved here.
latest
Conservation Station has flown the coop, too. In its place are two new areas. In the Great American Forest section, you can slip down waterfalls like a salmon at the Salmon Run, explore a beaver dam, grab a bite at the Hungry Bear Restaurant or the Polecat Pastry Shop, or take a ride on Humphrey’s Photo Shoot, a new dark ride featuring Humphrey the Bear from many old Disney cartoons. Souvenieers can be bought at the Fox and Hound Hunting Supply store and the Owl’s Nest.

The last new area is the Beastly Kingdomme, a revived idea dating all the way back to 1998! Do you dare face the terrible reptile that can be found on the Dragon’s Lair roller coaster? What lies at the end of the Quest For the Unicorn hedge maze? Mother Goose’s Gifts is open, but is she home? Is that the Loch Ness Monster swimming in the lake nearby?
bk.jpg
Asia
While Kali River Rapids and Expedition Everest were both able to survive the park’s refurbishment, the Maharaja Jungle Trek had to be replaced. Now in its place is Journey Into the Jungle Book, a dark ride through the story of the Disney adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s stories. Flights of Wonder is gone, too: now a theater-in-the-round show in which guests are menaced by a hungry komodo dragon stands in its place.
Expedition_Everest.jpg
Dinoland U.S.A.
Out of all the lands, Dinoland U.S.A. has never been a particular favorite for Disney Parks fans. Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama in particular has always been pretty infamous. Now it, like Conservation Station, is gone. The park’s popular DINOSAUR! attraction remains unchanged, as does the Boneyard play area. Chester and Hester’s, however, is gone. To replace it, I decided to bring back another old idea from the vault, the Excavator roller coaster, and a new log flume themed around the ice age, Prehistoric Plunge. And finally, Nemo and friends are gone, but PIXAR still has a presence in the park via a new musical in its place: The Good Dinosaur.
The%20Excavator%20(3).jpg
Sorry I didn't include the costs. I would've but I have no idea how much money it would cost to build a Disney attraction.

DinoInstitute

Challenge 8: Animal Kingdom, Hold the Animal
@IDInstitute's Presentation

This challenge is something that really made me stretch my mind, as a lot needs to be done to the park to make it fit requirements, yet at the same time, you can only do so much to it, not only because of the budget but also because the park fits an "archetype", if you will, of nature. Taking this idea, I decided to completely move the park into this direction. Presenting...Disney's Nature Kingdom!
33u4z83.png

Disney's Nature Kingdom Theme park is very much like it's predecessor, the Animal Kingdom, though has some minor but important changes. Per the requirements, the park will no longer have any living animals in it, meaning all small exhibits will be removed, the larger paths (such as the Maharajah Jungle Trek) will stay, however with the focus being on the aesthetics of the region you are discovering (as well as a few audio animatronic friends!), and a large change with the safari (more on this later). The updated mission statement is as follows:

"Welcome to a celebration of nature... Whether real, fantasized, or extinct landscapes, those you experience everyday of your lives to those you never thought you could appreciate in person, kingdoms ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival. This is a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and above all, to learn, about all Mother Nature has shared with us." -Bob Iger, CEO Walt Disney Company

Now, onto the updates and changes to the lands/rides them self. Because the park is on a tight budget, only what is necessary to receive changes to fit the requirements/new mission of the park will receive them (for the most part- of course there are still a few new treats!).
disney-animal-kingdom-map.jpg

Current Park Map for Reference

Africa:
Africa's main claim to fame is the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Because the focus shifts to nature over animals, the ride's backstory will be more of a beautiful tour of the savanna of Harambe. There will be audio animatronic animals along the path to add to the realism, as well as new show scenes with special sets that depict the location.
Fotolia_4994985_L.jpg

africa-4.jpg

img_7152.jpg

Asia:
Asia remains relatively unchanged, as how it currently is truly gets across the beauty and majesty of the area, and the emphasis on animals in their main attractions isn't quite as big as the themes of respecting nature. The only attractions that need changing are the Maharahja Jungle Trek (as covered earlier), and the Flights of Wonder show, which will be the DNK Special Events Theater, which will get more use as the park starts staying open later and more hard ticket events/special celebrations are able to take place.

DinoLand USA:
Dinoland USA will definitely be the one land that receives the most changes out of all of them. While representing the prehistoric world for sure would be an amazing and huge part of the Nature Kingdom, to be honest, an old gas station fair really doesn't :p (I do actually love C&H, but it wouldn't work in this new park). Dinoland will get the long rumored/desired by fans refurbishment to become a much more immersive environment that transports you to the age of the dinosaurs. Lush, jungle-like trees will surround you, a large waterfall will take up take the spotlight on the eastern side (where PW is now), housing a dark boat ride that slowly and calmly tours some of the friendlier dinos and exotic plant life. This land is set in the Jurassic period, which is also a part of the new storyline for DINOSAUR (re-renamed back to Countdown to Extinction), where the scientists that used time travel to bring you here to the Jurassic Period are zooming you ahead to the last possible second to find that darn Iguanadon! The new facade will be like a makeshift laboratory set up at the base of a giant, looming volcano (think DisneySea). Finally, the land's name will change from DinoLand USA to 'Prehistoria'.

Rafiki's Planet Watch

This land too has to receive changes as it no longer really has a purpose in this park. It will remain open, still mainly as an area for younger children, however throughout the day it will have different small stage performances and indoor exhibits demonstrating the importance of protecting our planet and taking steps to keep your environment clean and healthy. The land will also receive a new name (named after one of the areas in the current land), The Conservation Station.

Discovery Island:
Not many changes take place here, other than the removal of the many little animal exhibits. However, the walking paths around them will still remain open to add little peaceful "getaways" from the sometimes craziness in the park.

Upcoming Attractions (Already Planned):
The Pandora project will continue on as planned, fitting the theme in the park's mission statement of "landscapes real or fantasized". The new nighttime show, Rivers of Light, will also continue, however will be updated from its original plans. Originally, because of the animals, fireworks were not able to be used. Now, innovative and incredible firework effects will be added to the show.

All merchandise will have to undergo a complete makeover with the new park name. In addition, throughout 2016, signage around the resorts/road signs will undergo updates to recognize the new name.
Overall, Disney's Nature Kingdom takes what was an already amazing park and makes it even more fascinating for new reasons. While Ronald Rump thinks he may have foiled our plans, this new concept of a park refurbishment solves this problem.
Still though, I love animals, so I'm voting Harold Hump.

spacemt354

Chili's
spacemt354's reviews:

I've run into a bit of a time crunch with an exam coming up, but I wanted to still give the reviews for you all.

Flippin'Flounder

I think you had some great ideas here, and in a way that's why I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't more content to back it up. I really like how you dispersed your funds and gave at least a numerical value for each change, but at the same time I couldn't get a full appreciation for your overlay without the use of images and/or more description.

I know you ran into a bit of a time crunch (like myself). We will see how you hold up against the rest of the competition, but I'll just say that from the start of The Creator Games until now I've seen you grow into a great imagineer, and one who has now made it deep into 2 competitions in a row (1984 and The Choice). I see a bright future for you in future comps and going into 2016.

RMichael21

I like the title of Earth, I think it fits well with the conservational aspects of your overlay, gearing more towards the protection and care for Earth over animals which couldn't be used. I think your initial name for it was Disney's Adventure Kingdom? I only say that because I believe you changed the name up top, but forgot to change it in the paragraphs. I think Earth is more unique than Adventure Kingdom anyway, so good change.

For the park as a whole, I think every addition or change that you made was superb, especially being very creative (imo) changing Kilaminjaro Safari into basically the Jungle Cruise, and closing the Jungle Cruise to make room for a new E-ticket in MK. Clever idea based on the prompt.

The one change I thought was a bit of a misfire was the giant Camp Minnie Mickey esque redo of the Planet Watch. I thought that was an opportunity to have this huge overarching landscape, or if the funds didn't allow it, at least mention that in the future there would be a Earth based natural wonder land perhaps? Something that shows off the beauty of Earth and why we need conservation.

Other than that though, a great presentation once again!

DSquared

I thought the logo you made was very well done! The name at first threw me, but after reading on it sorta grew on me. I very much appreciated the organization of this project. I thought it was a great idea to include the map and then show your additions based on the numbers in the map. Nice thought!

Is Symbiosis our attraction from SA Challenge 6? ;) Well..it didn't sound like it...it sounded more like the old show from Epcot, but I must say that Symbiosis was probably my favorite attraction we on Team Goofy created. :D

Industrialville was a bit odd, especially considering that the theme park is called nature glen. Perhaps that would have been better as a scene in a dark ride? Or a show? Something that hints at the negative effects of pollution and so on without actually having it in the "nature" park? Idk, that was just my initial thought. A nice idea, but one I thought broke from the theme of the park as a whole.

Overall though, a solid project!

Brer Panther

You took a really different spin on this project than I thought, and after reading through it, it doesn't sound too bad! From the prompt, I was expecting most people to change the theme of AK entirely, or at least remove the animal theme since you can't use real animals. But basically you were able to design a park that still used animals and kept the central theme of AK, without changing too much of the great park backstory and ideas. Kudos to you.

My favorite part was Beastly Kingdom...as soon as i saw that ...I was like ...
yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

;)

While finance and attraction costs are tough to come up with...and by no means was my Omega Challenge attractions costs completely accurate (most I looked up, some I had to guess) it was part of the prompt to at least guess and try to keep your budget under 800 Million. You probably did do that, but for the future, even if you're unsure, it's best to try.

Overall, nice job!

IDInstitute

Great logo and intro! There really isn't much I have to say about this project. For one, basically everything you said I would agree with. I liked the Safari ride focusing on Nature. I thought the additions to Asia were subtle, yet solid. And the Dinoland retheme to Prehistoria I thought was good as well. And I also appreciated the nice mention that you can use fireworks now for the Rivers of Light since there are no animals...something I don't believe I saw in other projects. A minor thing, but attention to detail is great!

One thing I might say was it would have been nice to see at least an estimate of how much each individual thing would cost. While it didn't have to be specific, it would have been interesting to think about how much a complete AA Safari ride would cost (probably a lot:p)

Anyway, very well done!

I'll add mickeyfan's review to it later but for now great job to all contestants and thanks for making another wdwmagic competition possible! Onto the finale tonight...couldn't be done without the contestants!

spacemt354

Chili's
The Final Challenge: How the WestCOT was Won
westcot2_resortillustrative.jpg

First off, congratulations to the final four! After almost 2 months, 8 challenges, and 17 eliminations in-between, you all should be very proud of yourselves for achieving this accomplishment. And thanks again to all 21 contestants and 4 advisors for making The Choice something special. None of this would be possible without all your efforts.

But the game isn't over yet....

For the final challenge we are traveling back to sunny southern California, with a twist. We are also traveling back in time as well...

The year is 1992. The previous year, Disney had announced plans for the creation of WestCOT to be built in the Disneyland parking lot. However, the plans have seemingly stalled and the project is having trouble getting approval. It looks as if it may never happen.

That's where you come in...

As skilled and proficient imagineers...you have been called by WDI to come in and save this project. Each of you has been tasked with designing a new plan for WestCOT. And with such a daunting task, you're going to need some help...

1. In order to familiarize yourselves with the initial WestCOT design, it's recommended that you take a look at this article. Should only take 15 mins or so, but it will definitely help each of you narrow down what the positives of the project were, and what things you might need to adjust for it to be approved.
  2. Based on a first come, first serve basis, each of you may select an advisor to help you with the project (@MonorailRed, @TheOriginalTiki, @englanddg, @Sam4D23)
  3. A helpful tip - don't get bogged down in scene by scene texts for this project. This challenge is about the idea... the concept itself. And plus, it's only 9 days. While detail is great, the winning project will be the one with the best idea as a whole, not necessarily the one with the most scene descriptions.
  4. Another helpful tip - the year is 1992....it might be good to familiarize yourselves with what attractions Epcot had in 1992 (hint: it wasn't Test Track or Mission: SPACE) So if you're going to add attractions, you must take the time period into consideration...so KUKA arms, trackless dark rides like Rataouille, were not invented yet.
With that said, this should be an awesome finale to end The Choice!

Challenge is due Wednesday November 25th at 8PM EST
The winner will be announced that night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom