The Choice Competition Thread

RMichael21

So it's officially past 8PM EST. Thanks to everyone who submitted, and you're all going to be rewarded for your work because you're all advancing into the next round!

Reviews will be coming at 10PM tonight. Going to do it with Matt tonight and after the reviews Matt will post the next challenge and away we go!
Wait I'm confused... Since when are we all advancing? :confused: I thought two people were being eliminated. Will 4 be eliminated next round? :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Wait I'm confused... Since when are we all advancing? :confused: I thought two people were being eliminated. Will 4 be eliminated next round? :p
Count how many people submitted projects...then subtract it by how many people were in this round...;)

ie - 6 people submitted projects out of the final 8. So the 6 that submitted are advancing. The two who didn't submit can not move on...and are unfortunately automatically eliminated due to no proposal

RMichael21

Count how many people submitted projects...then subtract it by how many people were in this round...;)

ie - 6 people submitted projects out of the final 8. So the 6 that submitted are advancing. The two who didn't submit can not move on...and are unfortunately automatically eliminated due to no proposal
Oh... By the way you worded it, I thought that everyone was advancing. :cool::p So, who was eliminated? I always like to know who exactly it was, plus I'm working out the ICS rankings as I go this time so I don't have to do it all at the end. :D

spacemt354

Chili's
Oh... By the way you worded it, I thought that everyone was advancing. :cool::p So, who was eliminated? I always like to know who exactly it was, plus I'm working out the ICS rankings as I go this time so I don't have to do it all at the end. :D
Gotcha. I was referring to everyone who submitted...sorry if it was worded poorly.
So it's officially past 8PM EST. Thanks to everyone who submitted, and you're all going to be rewarded for your work

ScorpionX and mharrington did not submit.

spacemt354

Chili's
My reviews!

RMichael21 - Wonderful World of Progress

Nice presentation! I like the concept of progress as the theme. As I'll get to later, while I do like for nostalgic purposes that GE was the sponsor of the attraction, based on the nature of the attraction I question what GE would be showing off in the attraction? The time-machine? In Carousel of Progress, it showed the progress of a suburban family with GE appliances throughout the years..but anyway, let's move on.

I really enjoyed the backstory of the Institute and the buildup to the attraction, but i was confused why you chose a facade similar to it's a small world, when it's more inspired by Carousel of Progress. I felt like something more futuristic and modern would fit better if the queue is through an Institute of "Progress"

The ride vehicles themselves were very different and, while I'm not sure how realistic an elevator shaft+KUKA arm+trackless dark ride is...well, the prompt said to use your imagination, and you did! In terms of the ride itself, why did you choose the internet for two generic monologue scenes as the point of "progress"? If the time machine allows you to travel anywhere...I feel like there are a lot more awesome places to show progress that you could have better utilized your crazy ride vehicles for. The first car, traveling to the moon, flying a futuristic jet, that would have made the entire attraction as awesome as I thought the last few scenes were in the futuristic city.

Great job though, kudos for being first as well!

DSquared - HoloLens

Good work! I didn't even know this was real. If you didn't post the video in the beginning, I would have thought you made it up. Nice job with the sponsor, and especially it makes sense since they are the ones behind this technology. I like the concept of the attraction queue but for the safety of guests and such, I probably would wait until everyone is seating in the ride before putting the HoloLens on. It's like the 3D glasses for a show, just for safety reasons and such. Anyway...

I actually think this is a really neat ride through. I was surprised at the script too, it's very well written and it sounds like something that would be in a Disney attraction. The only thing I can say is I wish there was more. You did a great job explaining your scenes but I wish there was a few more leading up to the reveal of Epcot.

Overall though, very nice!

Flippin'Flounder - Walt Disney's Wonderful Worlds

I really like the effort to design multiple attractions in one central hub almost like an Epcot pavilion. I think you chose nice sponsors for the specfic attractions, however World of Motion, I wish you used a different title because that just seems like a duplicate of the old attraction. And World of Color sounds like the DCA show, even though they don't have anything to do with each other.

That being said, I do like the options you have here. I wish there were some images to go along with it, but what are you going to do. You got it in, and that bodes well for you!

IDInstitute - Progress Onward!

I like this one! I think you did a great job implementing the ideals of Epcot, yet at the same time making it your own unique attraction, much like RM did with CoP. I wish there was a bit more description on the "trackless omnimover" just out of curiosity, because it sounds interesting, but omni by root origin means "all" so...all-mover, and in one direction like an industrial line so I'm curious how that would change here.

While the queue is kinda bland, but again not a requirement, the ride itself makes up for it in my view. I really like the detail and description of every scene. From sea to energy to transportation, and to space (hey that's me!:cool:) You did a good job with it. I'm still not sure how the ride vehicles can create a zero gravity effect if they are attached to the ground, but again, as with all of these reviews, I'm nitpicking. The ending also reminds me of the climax of Spaceship Earth, and in a good way, because that's one of my favorite scenes in any Disney attraction.

Great overall!

Brer Panther - Around the World in Two Minutes

Something is better than nothing, and you got something in. This ride actually sounds awesome if it was fully fleshed out. Maybe a project for the future?

mickeyfan5534 - World in Motion

Same with Brer, this sounds like a great attraction if there was time to fully flesh out the ride scenes, add images and so on. But thank you both for turning something in. I'm sure it will pay off in the end!

Matt's reviews coming shortly!

Last edited:

Matt7187

Original Poster
@RMichael21

Pretty much what space said. I really liked the imagination and expansive idea, but some of the smaller things like realism and sponsor choice, but it isn't that big of a deal. Good job!

@DSquared

This was a very creative idea, and it paid off in spades. Microsoft is such an obvious idea for a sponsor, and I'm glad someone used them. This would really be cool, but I feel like the software may need some time to be 100% synced so people don't get sick using it, but that isn't a big issue. Very good job this round!

@Flippin'Flounder

Your idea was great, and the sponsors were as well. Probably my favorite thing about it is that you had them replacing things in the theme parks, which is what happened in '64, and I really liked that touch. I would have liked some more words and some pictures, but the ideas were great! Good job!

@IDInstitute

Just as I said for RMichael, look at spaces review, it is basically what I thought.

@Brer Panther

I wish you hadn't forgot about this until the day before, because I feel you could have had a great project, but this isn't. When I think Worlds Fair, I think innovative, and that isn't. There will be an attraction in EPCOT soon called Soarin' Around the World, and that will be this on steroids. Also, Coca Cola would be a strange sponsor considering they would have nothing to do with this. Hopefully next challenge you remember it, because there won't be a guarantee you advance.

@mickeyfan5534

The idea is good, it just needed fleshed out with more words and pictures. Also, you have no sponsor. Use the advice I have brer and put your all into next round, because there is no guarantee you advance.

Because you all submitted and two people did not, you are all safe. This was a double elimination, so both @mharrington and @ScorpionX will be eliminated. Thank you for competing!

Challenge 8 coming in a few minutes!

Matt7187

Original Poster
Challenge 8: Animal Kingdom, Hold the Animal
fedi729.jpg

It is January 21st, 2017, and Ronald Rump is now the President of the United States. After shocking everyone and storming onto the scene as an independent backed by PETA in March 2016, Ronald won by a landslide, toppling the Republican and Democratic candidates. On his first day in office, he fufills the pact he made with PETA so they would back him fully; he outlawed the captivity of animals. Americans are still allowed to have dogs and cats as pets, but all major zoos and animal exhibits must be shuttered, immediately. That includes Animal Kingdom, Disney World's fourth theme park. Now that the federal law states that they may not operate, the animals must be freed into the wild. But what is Animal Kingdom without the animals?

Having just completed many new additions such as Pandora, Soarin' Around the World, and Toy Story Land, and with Star Wars Land almost complete, there is not much money to be spent. Disney also recently announced in December 2016 that there would be a Monsters Inc land built in Hollywood Studios and that a 5th park based on many different IP's (Disney's Islands of Adventures) that was in blue sky phase. The last thing Disney wants is a repeat of the Disney Decade, which fans would not tolerate. So all previously announced additions must be still in development, with no budget cuts. With all of this going on. the new park to replace AK must be open by Summer 2018, or too massive of an amount of revenue will be lost that other projects will be shut down.

Only $800 million dollars has been allotted to the renovation, so you must be realistic and frugal. Keep in mind that Pandora has just been completed and only open for a couple weeks, so it must fit into the theme of the new park. You only have around a year and 5 months for designs and construction, so nothing can be too groundbreaking or innovative, but it has to be Disney worthy. The park must also use at least all of the land used right now, so for example you can't cut out half of the Safari land to not be used.

For new attractions, lands, restaurants, whatever you add, just give a brief description of it, along with how much it costs towards your budget of $800 million. You don't have to be exact, but be consistent and close to what the additions would actually cost. Also, 2 people will be eliminated this round, and the survivors will be in the finale!
This Challenge is Due Monday, November 16th at 8 PM EST.

spacemt354

Chili's
This is very creative, but how do we use the whole safari area, it's huge?
Imagination dude!

In all seriousness though, if you're stumped, I'll just say there are other things that take place outdoors with vehicles that require large spaces...or with an 800 million dollar budget (keep in mind that the most expensive attractions cost like $300 million tops) if there's something you always wanted to see...but didn't have enough room...there would be a good place to put it.

But I'll let you do the rest;) Have some fun with it. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Just for reference. You think the prices from the CG Omega challenge are accurate enough?

And is Rivers of Light still in the park?
They are, but you don't have to be that specific with the prices. The 800 million is just there so you don't add just a bunch of E-tickets.

And yes, Rivers of Light is still there.

RMichael21

Challenge 8: Animal Kingdom, Hold the Animal
fedi729.jpg

It is January 21st, 2017, and Ronald Rump is now the President of the United States. After shocking everyone and storming onto the scene as an independent backed by PETA in March 2016, Ronald won by a landslide, toppling the Republican and Democratic candidates. On his first day in office, he fufills the pact he made with PETA so they would back him fully; he outlawed the captivity of animals. Americans are still allowed to have dogs and cats as pets, but all major zoos and animal exhibits must be shuttered, immediately. That includes Animal Kingdom, Disney World's fourth theme park. Now that the federal law states that they may not operate, the animals must be freed into the wild. But what is Animal Kingdom without the animals?

Having just completed many new additions such as Pandora, Soarin' Around the World, and Toy Story Land, and with Star Wars Land almost complete, there is not much money to be spent. Disney also recently announced in December 2016 that there would be a Monsters Inc land built in Hollywood Studios and that a 5th park based on many different IP's (Disney's Islands of Adventures) that was in blue sky phase. The last thing Disney wants is a repeat of the Disney Decade, which fans would not tolerate. So all previously announced additions must be still in development, with no budget cuts. With all of this going on. the new park to replace AK must be open by Summer 2018, or too massive of an amount of revenue will be lost that other projects will be shut down.

Only $800 million dollars has been allotted to the renovation, so you must be realistic and frugal. Keep in mind that Pandora has just been completed and only open for a couple weeks, so it must fit into the theme of the new park. You only have around a year and 5 months for designs and construction, so nothing can be too groundbreaking or innovative, but it has to be Disney worthy. The park must also use at least all of the land used right now, so for example you can't cut out half of the Safari land to not be used.

For new attractions, lands, restaurants, whatever you add, just give a brief description of it, along with how much it costs towards your budget of $800 million. You don't have to be exact, but be consistent and close to what the additions would actually cost. Also, 2 people will be eliminated this round, and the survivors will be in the finale!

This Challenge is Due Monday, November 16th at 8 PM EST.
Does the fact that dogs and cats are still allowed apply to other domesticated animals such as goats, sheep, donkeys, Eric (i.e. Rafiki's Planet Watch)?

spacemt354

Chili's
Does the fact that dogs and cats are still allowed apply to other domesticated animals such as goats, sheep, donkeys, Eric (i.e. Rafiki's Planet Watch)?
Dogs and cats are allowed as pets (in the real world), and I guess you can throw other domesticated animals in the "pet" category (those two were just examples)

However, there are no animals allowed in Disney's Animal Kingdom in this scenario, so the challenge is to retheme the park without animals with the budget given.

Esentially, all animals are off the table and any animal based attractions/shows need to be redone

Hopefully that helps!

Flippin'Flounder

Disney Lands of Legend

First of all, all animal encounters would be removed, along with Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pangani Forest Exploration Trails, Mahrajah Jungle Trek, Flights of Wonder, and the Affection Section. The Oasis would get a new skyway that takes you above the canopies to see the beautiful treetops of the Oasis and Discovery Island. It would stop in Discovery Island. 20 Million. Discovery Island would have Meet and Greets with animal Disney Characters throughout, like Flik, Meeko, and Tarzan. 5 Million. It would also have a new flat ride called. Flik and Atta's Waterbug Slide, which would use the new ride system for Luigi's Tires. 20 Million. Where KS is currently there will be a new dark ride, simulator, and roller coaster. The simulator will be themed to Egyptian Mythological creatures like the Sphynx and Griffon. 60 Million. The dark ride will be called The Legend of the Lion King and will follow Simba's journey through Africa. 60 Million. Tarzan Swings will be an indoor coaster through the jungles of Africa. 75 Million. Where PFET is currently will be a show called Africa: Real Life, which will teach about real African animals. 30 Million. The Affection Section will become an expansion of the Conservation Station and will teach about domesticated animals. 30 Million. FoW will be replaced with Asia: Real Life which would be a counterpart to Aftica: Real Life. 30 Million. In the current location of MJT a new dark ride would be added called Journey into the Jungle Book. 45 Million.

Total Cost: 360 Million

Last edited:

RMichael21

The Choice Challenge 8: Animal Kingdom, Hold the Animal
@RMichael21 presents…
Disney’s Earth

Welcome to Disney’s Earth, the newly renamed, revamped and remodeled Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Here, all live animals will be lost due to the Wildlife in Zoological Establishments Act, in which no live animals are permitted in any kind of zoological setting, including Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As a part of this transition, the Walt Disney Imagineering team, led by Joe Rhode must re-focus on Disney’s Animal Kingdom in order to make an attempt to properly remove the animals and not damage the story told in the park. While some Imagineers may be tempted to move simply remove the animals and onto other things, Joe Rhode found it vitally important to carefully fix problem areas created before moving onto bigger projects.

Firstly, this involves changing the name. While Disney’s Animal Kingdom has a name that could potentially still live on after this transition, it would certainly put a damper on the guest expectation and experience. So, the name of the park will be changed to Disney’s Earth, and move the focus of the park to the exploration and conservation of the world and its environment, rather than the planet's animals.

Areas Not Touched:

Due to Dinoland USA and Pandora: The World of Avatar not having any live animals, they will be mostly untouched during the transition into Disney’s Earth.

Updates:
The Oasis - Total Updates: 2 million

Oasis%2022.jpg

The Oasis is the very first land that guests see while visiting Disney’s Adventure Kingdom. So, there has to be a grand first impression that can’t disappoint guests of the park. All of the animal exhibits will be replaced by educational interactive displays that inform guests about conservation of the environment. While these additions may gather a small crowd, the main goal of the area is to push guests towards Discovery Island.

Discovery Island - Total Updates: 203 Million
ak-tree-of-life-2.jpg

While Discovery Island isn’t the center of problems created as a result of the recent law passing, there are still several issues that need to be addressed. First, all animal exhibits on the Tree of Life will be removed. In their place will be a peaceful trail around the Tree of Life that guests can walk through. Theme Parks in this decade often have no quiet spots, so an attempt to give Disney’s Adventure Kingdom this is much needed. (30 Million)

In addition, It’s Tough to Be a Bug will be swapped out in favor of a show. While it will not be based on an IP, The Tree of Life will be a stage show in the round housed inside the park’s icon featuring acrobatics and illusions as guests are told the story of the Tree of Life. (110 Million)

Next, any and all references to animals in restaurants and merchandise locations will be changed into environmental conservation reference (8 Million)

Finally, the recently opened Rivers of Light will be updated to feature less animals, and be more environmentally focused. (55 million)

Africa - Total Updates: 325 Million
Animal-Kingdom-Africa2.jpg

One of the biggest problem areas created after the passing of the Wildlife in Zoological Establishments Act is Africa. Centered around the animals of Africa, a large portion of the 800 million dollar budget will be going towards Africa.

Firstly, Kilimanjaro Safaris will remain similar to its current state. However, all live animals will be removed from the attraction and replaced with state of the art, weather resistant, full range of motion audio animatronics. In addition, to help bring back some of the life lost (literally and symbolically) during the transition, the Little Red storyline will be brought back to the attraction. In order to replicate the sheer size and scope of the attraction 1,000+ animatronics will be added into the attraction. Due to the upgraded attraction being similar to the world famous Jungle Cruise, the Adventureland attraction will close in order to make way for new Magic Kingdom experiences. (250 Million)

Next, the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail will stay relatively the same, with a similar update to Kilimanjaro Safaris, except on a smaller scale. In addition, an interactive game will be added, to give an extra something for the guests to do. (75 million)

Rafiki’s Planet Watch - Total Updates: 175 Million
01%20Sign.jpg

The name of this area will be changed to Camp Minnie Mickey. This new area will embody the former area of the same name, but in a more permanent way.
maxresdefault.jpg

For the transition into Disney’s Adventure Kingdom, all of the animals on Rafiki’s Planet Watch will be removed, as well as the main building itself and its animal hospital, as it no longer has any use. Instead, Rafiki’s Planet Watch will become a large meet and greet center for the Disney Characters. Characters meeting here include Mickey and Minnie, Donald and Daisy, Goofy and Pluto, Chip and Dale, Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio, Pocahontas, Flik and Dot, as well as a rotating schedule of characters in two other “huts.” The layout of this meet and greet will be similar to the former Camp Minnie Mickey. I chose to place a Meet and Greet hub for the characters here because I felt that it could alleviate some crowds to meet the characters by placing them in the back of the park and separated by train, while still being accessible enough that guests would still make the trek to visit. (100 million)

In addition, a new building will be constructed to the side of this meet and greet center, to promote further conservation. (75 Million)

Asia - Total Updates: 85 Million
disney-animal-kingdom-asia.jpg

The final area that will need work as a result of the passing of the new law is Asia. Firstly, the Maharajah Jungle Trek will turn into another peaceful walking trail through the rich Asian temple ruins. Once again, the animals will be removed from the trail. Throughout the new Jungle Trek, guests will be told the story of the spirits of the village; guests can play an interactive game as they search for artifacts throughout the trail. (75 million)

In addition, an all new Flights of Wonder show will be introduced using movie/film technology rather than live animals. (10 million)

The rest of Asia will remain relatively untouched, due to there being a lack of animals in the rest of the area.

Conservation Efforts – Total: 10 Million:
learn-three-boys-river.jpg

Due to the recent passing of the Wildlife in Zoological Establishments Act and the requirement that all wildlife housed in zoological setting must be released into the wild, the Walt Disney Company will be giving the remain 20 million of the 800 million dollar budget to the efforts that attempt to properly relocate millions of animals into the wild and conservation efforts throughout the world.

Thanks for reading and have a wild day! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney Lands of Legend

First of all, all animal encounters would be removed, along with Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pangani Forest Exploration Trails, Mahrajah Jungle Trek, Flights of Wonder, and the Affection Section. Discovery Island would have Meet and Greets with Animal Disney Characters throughout, like Flik, Meeko, and
Is this the full presentation?

I just wanted to ask because it seems like it ended mid-sentence...you still have 3 1/2 hours till the deadline if you need to make any adjustments!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom