The Charm of DCA

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
This will be an ongoing series. Feel free to contribute.

20190608_170509.jpg

It looks just like the opening of Jaws! They didn't even attempt to make the concrete edges of the platform look like real beach, but somehow that makes it even more charming.

20190608_170503.jpg

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
My favorite ride at DCA is probably the Goofy ride. Even though it's been altered from its (deplorably wonderful) original version like so many full screen VHS tapes, it still retains that classic DCA feel: Cold, industrial, metallic, cheap...slapped together. This is Imagineering at its very worst. It's a big blue nightmarish mess of beams and fencing.

The warm fuzzies are completely absent from this one, even with its crudely assigned "Goofy" "theme". Check out the "bulletin board" before you get on the ride. The roller coaster itself offers some good physical thrills, but it's made even more thrilling by its cheapness. You are just surrounded by a janky metallic jungle that no one could really be bothered to make even feel remotely like a real Disney ride. Impressive!

20190608_182500.jpg

20190608_182529.jpg20190608_183134.jpg20190608_182701.jpg

socalifornian

This will be an ongoing series. Feel free to contribute.

View attachment 380157

It looks just like the opening of Jaws! They didn't even attempt to make the concrete edges of the platform look like real beach, but somehow that makes it even more charming.

View attachment 380158
I was riding Mickey’s Funwheel one time and was placed with someone who ended up being an off duty CM. He told us a story about how a group of tourists thought that was a real beach. They laid out towels and took off their clothes to reveal swimwear before going for a dip in the lagoon. Said it took like 30-45 minutes to finally get them out and eject them from the park

SuddenStorm

I was riding Pixar Pal-Around one time and was placed with someone who ended up being an off duty CM. He told us a story about how a group of tourists thought that was a real beach. They laid out towels and took off their clothes to reveal swimwear before going for a dip in the lagoon. Said it took like 30-45 minutes to finally get them out and eject them from the park

Fixed that for you

shortstop

Today I commented to a friend how remarkable it is that with all of the change and turmoil DCA has gone through, Jumpin’ Jellyfish has remained untouched the entire time. It’s nothing less than a miracle. The fact that you can still ride the big three of DCA 1.0 holdovers (Zephyr, Jellyfish, and Goofy/Mulholland) is amazing.

SuddenStorm

Today I commented to a friend how remarkable it is that with all of the change and turmoil DCA has gone through, Jumpin’ Jellyfish has remained untouched the entire time. It’s nothing less than a miracle. The fact that you can still ride the big three of DCA 1.0 holdovers (Zephyr, Jellyfish, and Goofy/Mulholland) is amazing.

If we're gonna count Goofy's Flight School as a DCA 1.0 holdover despite the retheme, we should also count Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Soarin'.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Hollywood Pictures Backlot has featured many of the best attractions at DCA. Superstar Limo, cut down before its prime, The Tower of Terror, the painting of a blue sky on a big building, Studio Store and Muppet Vision 3D. There is a strange mural of objects in the wall behind a sitting area. I couldn't tell you what it represents, but it has a butter knife embedded in the wall for you to admire while enjoying your vegetarian Portobello Mushroom and Filmstrip Fries on a tiny plate from Award Wieners.

20190608_180641.jpg

20190608_180744.jpg

20190608_180711.jpg

20190608_180647.jpg

shortstop

If we're gonna count Goofy's Flight School as a DCA 1.0 holdover despite the retheme, we should also count Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Soarin'.
I should’ve been more specific - rides that reek of the cheapness of DCA 1.0. The three you mention were solid back then and have held up relatively well (Incredicoaster retheme aside).

truecoat

Hollywood Pictures Backlot has featured many of the best attractions at DCA. Superstar Limo, cut down before its prime, The Tower of Terror, the painting of a blue sky on a big building, Studio Store and Muppet Vision 3D. There is a strange mural of objects in the wall behind a sitting area. I couldn't tell you what it represents, but it has a butter knife embedded in the wall for you to admire while enjoying your vegetarian Portobello Mushroom and Filmstrip Fries on a tiny plate from Award Wieners.

View attachment 380169
View attachment 380170
View attachment 380171
View attachment 380172

I went to Cuba last year and an interesting area was a neighborhood in this style by Cuban artist José Rodríguez Fuster.

51FE7B82-E481-487D-823F-C64292C0E9DB.png
5DD7DF7E-B333-4D49-95F0-31BBF68C5D21.jpeg

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
20190609_185533_HDR.jpg

The bootlegish decor of the Incredicoaster is simply unbelievable. I've never seen the Incredibles series of movies, but I feel like it isn't a stretch to imagine them being absolutely nothing like this ride. The charming beach decor from classic DCA is still there at the end. Who were they kidding with this redo? Cheap industrial slapped-together crap? Check!

20190609_191445_HDR.jpg

Californian Elitist

View attachment 380381

The bootlegish decor of the Incredicoaster is simply unbelievable. I've never seen the Incredibles series of movies, but I feel like it isn't a stretch to imagine them being absolutely nothing like this ride. The charming beach decor from classic DCA is still there at the end. Who were they kidding with this redo? Cheap industrial slapped-together crap? Check!

View attachment 380380

Facts!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom