The Cars Movie and Indy Speedway

bgraham34

Original Poster
Anyone think Disney Might Change the Speedway to Cars to tie in the Movie. I would not be surprised.

shakes20

I really do hope that they change that attraction. Of everything in MK, I think the Speedway is the biggest waste of space. There is nothing unique about the ride, it's the same thing that you could find at many other parks in the world, the lines are awful and the fumes are overwhelming when you get to the front of the line. I know that I loved it as a kid, and I know that my children want to go on it again, but throw me a bone, please! If Cars is good at all, I would love to see a refurb of this ride!

sniggle74

I have heard grumblings here on the board and other places (I believe Miceage, but I can't put my finger on it) that possibly Hong Kong was going to be the first to see the Cars overlay when it was to go into Phase 2. However, I believe something happened and they wanted the speedway sooner so they axed the idea. (I wish I had my membery with me today - still early - if there are others who remember this idea, please help me out)! That's not to say WDW might not get it....I can see that possiblity. The concept (I suppose) is created - all they would need is funding.

As for my feelings on the Indy Speedway.....what exactly do cars have to do with Tomorrowland? I have never quite figured it out. Will they ever leave? I highly doubt it. We love our cars and would do anything to be in one, touch one, drive one (I think you get my point). Proof to the point - we have the speedway at MK and we have TT at EPCOT. So, until we have some other mode of transportation that we love - the cars are around for awhile.

If they were to ever get rid of the Speedway, that's quite a bit of land to do whatever with......however, like I said, I don't think that will happen. We are more than likely to see the overlay before the removal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
All we will possibly see (if anything) is logos and a lick of paint like RnRjoe said. There have been plenty of opportunities to really do something with this attraction... and we still have the basis of the October 1971 version. Magic Highways its not...

Now to tie in Test Track technology with the current raceway idea, and theme it more like DLP`s Autopia...

Sorry. I`m at it again.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
yeh, i agree. i think it does need some changes..... not sure if the movie will do well or not to work it into an attraction, ei: nemo and LS, but the attraction needs something done to it reguardless. maybe the movie would be a good excuss to rehab.

ralz28

The indy speedway is the best disney ride in my opinion. I loved the ride as a kid and look forward to in December riding it with my daughter. Nothing is wrong with the track or cars.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They could tie it in, but I'll have to see the movie first to figure out if it would make sense, and what they could do for tie-ins.

Certainly not my favorite ride, but my kids enjoy it, so that makes it OK in my book. :)

dave

well said my 6 year old last year loved it too but the older and wise people on this thread,thats a joke still want a change!!!

Is it just me or am I the only one who feels that not every attraction needs to be tied into a movie?

I'm not really a fan of the attraction but I wouldn't like to see it with just a Cars overlay. Leave it the same or do something else with it. [Plus, with the Disney/Pixar deal over I don't think the WDC is going to rush into highlighting more of the joint venture movies at the parks. At least not yet.]

Since it is in tomorrow land, the opportunities are next to endless. They could change it to a real spaceage raceway. Make all the cars round and have them spin in 360 degrees in addition to staying on the track. :)

shakes20 said:
I really do hope that they change that attraction. Of everything in MK, I think the Speedway is the biggest waste of space. There is nothing unique about the ride, it's the same thing that you could find at many other parks in the world, the lines are awful and the fumes are overwhelming when you get to the front of the line. I know that I loved it as a kid, and I know that my children want to go on it again, but throw me a bone, please! If Cars is good at all, I would love to see a refurb of this ride!

I agree its a boring ride. They should also take out the bar in the middle of the car so you can actually go somewhere.

Rosso11

I really wish they would just move it Epcot and try to fit it next to Test Track. It can't be expensive to move at all its just a track on grass. Besides Epcot needs more kid friendly rides and MK could use the space plus in my opinion this is by far the worst themed ride to fit into tommorowland let alone the rest of the park. With this being right next to 20,000 leagues now is the time to do it. The imaginears can really come up with something spectacular if you put these two giant pieces of land together. This is probably the only time in MK's history that they will have this much space to use within the park. Just imagine the possibilities.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ok, i havent ridden the speedway in years.......... at least since late 80's. i cant remember if the gas pedal is actually a pedal or is it a handle/shifter.

the reason i ask, i remember riding some sort or speedway (i think it was in destin FLA) but the gas pedal was like a "shifter" on the outside of the car. you had to lean way forward to press it if you were little. by the end of the ride your back was killing. they wouldnt let you use your foot (that makes sense).

i guess i need to make a trip down to refresh the memory :lol:

sniggle74

ThreeCircles said:
Is it just me or am I the only one who feels that not every attraction needs to be tied into a movie?

I agree with you on this one. No - not every attraction needs a movie tie-in. It seems to have been of recent that it has become manditory (sad to say). I'm all for an attraction that has a Disney flare or touch - I mean, fantasyland would look pretty silly without at least a character related attraction.

BigNorm

sniggle74 said:
I agree with you on this one. No - not every attraction needs a movie tie-in. It seems to have been of recent that it has become manditory (sad to say). I'm all for an attraction that has a Disney flare or touch - I mean, fantasyland would look pretty silly without at least a character related attraction.

I totally agree. I'm personally getting a bit overloaded by attractions that are movie tie-ins, especially in Tomorrowland. However, I think the Speedway is in need of a redo. New Autopia anyone?

Epcot82Guy

Add me in with resounding support for stopping the movie tie-ins! It just seems like a cheap way of adding "creativity" and marketing. Don't get me wrong, marketing ability is great, but overlaying something just to advertise it is cheap and shows (SGE for example).

Having said that, I think the Indy Speedway has some great potential if retooled. I personally think it is simply in the wrong place. I think this attraction could easily serve as the foundational attraction for ToonTown. You have Pete's Garage, why not dramatically expand that and have the cars take a tour of ToonTown. Reserve the space that currently houses the queue for a new tomorrowland attraction (NOT tied into a film) to make the transition smoother and add a lot of small scenes from Toontown to the trip around. This could actually serve as a HUGE movie tie in using famous Disney vehicles, including Cars, and then it would make sense inthis part of the park.

That would never happen, though...

Epcot82Guy said:
Having said that, I think the Indy Speedway has some great potential if retooled. I personally think it is simply in the wrong place. I think this attraction could easily serve as the foundational attraction for ToonTown. You have Pete's Garage, why not dramatically expand that and have the cars take a tour of ToonTown. Reserve the space that currently houses the queue for a new tomorrowland attraction (NOT tied into a film) to make the transition smoother and add a lot of small scenes from Toontown to the trip around. This could actually serve as a HUGE movie tie in using famous Disney vehicles, including Cars, and then it would make sense inthis part of the park.

Wow. That is a really great idea! I promote you to Imagineer! :sohappy:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Epcot82Guy said:
Add me in with resounding support for stopping the movie tie-ins! It just seems like a cheap way of adding "creativity" and marketing. Don't get me wrong, marketing ability is great, but overlaying something just to advertise it is cheap and shows (SGE for example).

Wow, this is a very good idea!

Jseven

It has always been my idea to change the diesel cars to hover mobiles. That would be haaaauuutt (as paris hilton would say)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom