The Cars are finally here

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster
Lightning McQueen and Mater have arrived at the Disney-MGM Studios. They were out doing Meet and Greets at the hat and were the Grand Marshals in the Stars and Motorcars Parade. They look absolutely fantastic.

IcicleM

Score. I CAN'T WAIT to see what they look like. If anyone gets pictures, send 'em on over.

So, here's al ittle ANCIENT Disney information:

So, does everyone remember the ORIGINAL Disney Channel, where they would just randomly show a Mickey or Donald Cartoon? Like, back in the early '90s.

Well, somewhere in there was a cartoon about a mother and father car, and they had a child. The father was a Taxi, and they livedi n New York, and they couldn't wait for their son to grow up to be a Taxi, just like his dad. Well, the son was a little different. Growing up, he admired Race Cars, and wanted to be just like one, one day. One of those days, he left the house, went to a gas station, and got special gas to make him really fast. He was so excited with his new speed, that he tried racing the great big train. When he tried crossing the train tracks, he was hit by the train, and his parents rushed to the hospital. Though he was battered up pretty bad, he was okay, and they lived happily ever after... But the little car never stopped dreaming of being a race car...

Now, you're probably wondering why I brought this up, right? Well, the cars in that cartoon looked EXACTLY like this new Cars presentation. And it also follows the story of this race car character. Pretty strange, huh? If I can find pictures of the old cartoon, I'll post them. :)

welovewdw

Yep, I remember that little show.

My wife and I were talking about it a few days ago. In Mickey's Garage in Toontown, I think there is a book on the shelf and that little hot rod is on the cover.

Had to be inspired by that old cartoon.:)

Edit: Here is the link to the pic, he is the little blue car on the book next to the lamp. Notice the round edges and the big eyes where the windshield is. Could be a coincidence. I mean, how else would you draw an animated car?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Photos/MagicKingdomToontownFair/pages/Mickey%27s-Toontown-FairIMG_2569d.htm

animay

The cartoon with the Taxi wanting to be a hot rod was an MGM cartoon called "One Cab's Family" directed by Tex Avery.

The Disney short that looks very much like inspiration for Cars was "Susie the Little Blue Coupe". She's the car on the book from welovewdw's photo.

Interestingly, both shorts came out within less than a month of each other. A good year for car cartoons. :)

Kin

Here's some pics:

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

Pics by Butlin Boy

DLP Fan

They look fantastic! Thats amazing. Wasnt gonna go to MGM in the summer cause im only gonna be there for a few days but think I might try and stop by now! Are they able to sign autographs? Remember it saying a while ago that they would but dont know how!

bassman

WOW they look incredible,please tell me they are staying at MGM for good, ime not going untill september and i would love to see them, 2 things though,
1- are they driven or are they really big RC cars(ime only asking this because of the eyes that are on the windscreen and we all know anything is possible at walt disney world so they could be RC cars)
2-i wonder if their autographs are tyre marks and oil sploges:D

IcicleM

Everyone who replied to my post about the Cars Cartoon, thanks SO much. I've been looking for information on those cartoons forever, haha. :)

Adn yes, I miss Old School Disney Channel, too. I, personally, loved those old shows like "Under The Umbrella Tree" and the Mickey Cartoons, and even that Storytelling with the Jim Henson Puppets. And we can't forget FRAGGLE ROCK! OOOHHH YEAH! Now THERE is a show I need to get the DVDs, for. If they decided to bring it back, I'd be SOO happy. And maybe even a show next to The Muppets 4D would be awesome, too! :)

Those pictures look absolutely amazing. I was JUST there last week, and I feel so sad that we weren't able to see them, haha. I'll be back in the summer, though, so hopefully they'll still be there.

I'm personally, very excited about Cars. I don't know TOO much about the story, and I like that. When the trailers show too much of the story, it ruins it. With Finding Nemo and stuff, I was so happy that when I saw it, I never knew what was happening next, and I think this is going to do amazingly.

We own two houses down near Disney, that we rent out to people, and we are designing the rooms. One of the houses has 6 Bedrooms, 2 of which are Queen sized, 1 is a King, and the other 3 are twin bedrooms. We wanted to theme them Disney, and we thought it would be AWESOME to make a Cars room. We already got the Bedsheets, which are really cool, and they even have a couple different kinds of Plushie pillows, and then we're going to hang the poster in a frame, in the room, and try to do whatever else we can. ^_^

kanepresten

animay said:
The Disney short that looks very much like inspiration for Cars was "Susie the Little Blue Coupe". She's the car on the book from welovewdw's photo.

YES. Lasseter himself said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly magazine, referenceing the film as one of his favorites, and mentioning the influence on the design:

"SUSIE THE LITTLE BLUE COUPE
1952; Disney short. ''The way they put the eyes in the windshield inspired how we did Cars.'' "

From the article "The Fantastic Five:These oldfangled, hand-drawn cartoons make the Pixar pooh-bah animated."
<a href=http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1186017-4-4_1|114323|233612|1_0_,00.html>http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1186017-4-4_1|114323|233612|1_0_,00.html</a>

theyyago.

KP

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
When you do meet n greets with the cars do they do anything? Make a noise, rev the engine, blink, honk, etc? Is there any way to get an autograph from them? I hope they are still there when I go in August. I am so excited for this movie!

macsmom

Wal*Mart is going to have some kind of tie-in with "CARS". Not exactly sure what, but I know one department is automotive. I would think others, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom