The Carousel of Progress?

DisneyGirl11

I heard that it WAS a ride created by Walt Disney for the 64-65 World's Fair. I hope they don't remove it because that was Walt's ride. I love that ride. :dazzle:

Waldo.Pepper

Probably not going anywhere

The COP was one of Walt Disney's pet projects therefore it probably is not going anywhere. The only hitch is that it just isn't open all the time.

Then again, all things are subject to change.

Xadllas

They did away with CoP at DL years ago, so it's possible that the same could happen to the WDW CoP at some point. Note that I do NOT have any inside information ragarding this - I am just pointing out that since they did away with one, they could do away with the other.
They didn't destroy it they moved it to WDW. They are using the same Carousel Of Progress that was at The World's Fair. There has always only been one Carousel of Progress.

manda_01

After a little research, there is a whole web site dedicated to COP.

Quoting from http://www.carouselofprogress.com/main.htm

"COMMENT FROM ANOTHER CAST MEMBER...
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:12 AM
"While I can't say that no-way, no-how will COP be shuttered for good; I'm convinced that Management has heard enough guest feedback, and enough insiders have said "Walt said this is the one thing he wanted to stay" --- that COP is secure for the foreseeable future."​

WLF219

Original Poster
thanks

Thank you all, I appreciate your responses.

I am more hopeful now that it will be there. The map we got is the one they send with your materials - I don't know - i guess there are some things that aren't on there.

I was at the Magic KIngdom VERY briefly (stopped in for 5 hours) in September 2002 and that was the ONE attraction I wanted to take my colleague on - and it was closed. So I guess I am traumatized. Maybe it was being renovated or something. I assume it will be open, which is so exciting! (I guess for me it is a nostaglia thing, going on it as a child w/ my family.)

Thank you all! The countdown is on! 8 more days till i'm there!

Buford

Thank you all, I appreciate your responses.

I am more hopeful now that it will be there. The map we got is the one they send with your materials - I don't know - i guess there are some things that aren't on there.

I was at the Magic KIngdom VERY briefly (stopped in for 5 hours) in September 2002 and that was the ONE attraction I wanted to take my colleague on - and it was closed. So I guess I am traumatized. Maybe it was being renovated or something. I assume it will be open, which is so exciting! (I guess for me it is a nostaglia thing, going on it as a child w/ my family.)

Thank you all! The countdown is on! 8 more days till i'm there!
be sure to stop by guest relations and let them know that you enjoyed the show being open!! :) or, even more effective, email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com -- this will let Disney know that people still appreciate the show :wave:

PintoColvig

CoP's time has come and gone. It needs to be totally updated or removed.

side note to lee, no offence but i think it would be a sin to remove it.
CoP fan here. I happen to disagree--somewhat--with you both. CoP's time has not come and gone, IMO, but it needs another home. It doesn't need to be updated; it needs to be restored back to the original show as it was in '64 and presented as a classic and historical attraction personally conceived by Walt Disney himself. But, I would think that it needs to be relocated elsewhere (I've posted this elsewhere numerous times) to Main Street, somewhere in Epcot, the Disney Museum in San Francisco or back to DL. It doesn't fit thematically in TL anymore. Whatever happens, I would just hate for this attraction to be dismantled.

Xadllas

Lets see... COP stays in Tomorrowland, it doesn't belong in Epcot or on Main Street. Its fine where it is, they're not going to move because some people think it should move.. Its been in (a) Tomorrowland since 1966, it still fits the theme in a way. But really its fine where it is nuff said.

PintoColvig

Lets see... COP stays in Tomorrowland, it doesn't belong in Epcot or on Main Street. Its fine where it is, they're not going to move because some people think it should move.. Its been in (a) Tomorrowland since 1966, it still fits the theme in a way. But really its fine where it is nuff said.
:rolleyes: And it's not necessarily going to always be there because some people think it should stay (Any Mr. Toad fans out there?) And exactly how does CoP fit the theme of Tomorrowland when it can't even remain up-to-date with "Today"? And the "nuff said" rationale won't hold back the Imagineers when it is time to put in an E-Ticket on that pad. The tragedy for me is that if they ever decide that CoP's location would be better for another attraction, it is most likely that they will shutter it permanently. That's why I advocate even now that it be relocated. I love CoP and want it to exist somewhere other than in a fond memory.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
They often omit things on promo maps.
If you're referring to the maps in the current vacation planning DVD, note that Snow White isn't listed, either. I doubt it's going away anytime soon.
In last year's DVD maps, the Country Bear Jamboree wasn't marked, either.

In Epcot, the Land pavilion lists Living with the Land but not Circle of Life.
In the Studios, One Man's Dream isn't listed, but it's probably not going anywhere for a while.

-Rob
Good riddence to Circle of Life!

Xadllas

:rolleyes: And it's not necessarily going to always be there because some people think it should stay (Any Mr. Toad fans out there?) And exactly how does CoP fit the theme of Tomorrowland when it can't even remain up-to-date with "Today"? And the "nuff said" rationale won't hold back the Imagineers when it is time to put in an E-Ticket on that pad. The tragedy for me is that if they ever decide that CoP's location would be better for another attraction, it is most likely that they will shutter it permanently. That's why I advocate even now that it be relocated. I love CoP and want it to exist somewhere other than in a fond memory.
As you should know WDW's Tomorrowland is not based on a factual Future. Its based clearly on fiction, CoP was put in Tomorrowland because of marketing for GE, now that they're sponsorship is over it has become a Tribute to Walt Disney's Carousel Of Progress. Though it doesnt show a future that never was.. it does add on to a reacurring theme "The world on the move" which you cant find at DLR anymore. And if you remember the fictonal company: "The Tomorrowland Metro retro Historical Society" that took over for Delta when they dropped sponsorship of Dreamflight. So it fits in a way. In early 2005 I sent several emails to the WDW communications Department about several topics/complaints. One was about the rumor that CoP was going to be removed. I got a reply from one of the Disney Executives and she told me herself (on the phone) there are no plans to remove CoP. She even stated that they had recently updated it with new plazma Tvs for the preshow. So it may be removed but I dont think it will. Thank you for reading. And P.S. If you have noticed and it was recently mentioned that CoP has been taken off the seasonal opperation list for almost 2 years so tis gonna be more than a memory for awhile.

Sooner96

Good to hear that the CoP is open all the time...

Last time I was there it was on seasonal status and I didn't get to show my kids. That will be one of our first stops this time. We will be there the 19-27 too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom