The British are invading!!!

rharvey78

Original Poster
Don't usually write, just read, but had to make this observation. We just returned from a week at WDW, and could almost swear that 80% of the people we talked to in lines at the parks, and at the water parks, were from England. It must be the vacation season over there. I am not complaining at all. They were the friendliest people, and we were just amazed at how polite their children were. Don't know if they were the exception other then the rule, but I would just like to acknowledge them publicly and say they did their country proud, to this colonist anyway. (Plus we just adored hearing the little ones speak.)

Tom

Beta Return
Don't usually write, just read, but had to make this observation. We just returned from a week at WDW, and could almost swear that 80% of the people we talked to in lines at the parks, and at the water parks, were from England. It must be the vacation season over there. I am not complaining at all. They were the friendliest people, and we were just amazed at how polite their children were. Don't know if they were the exception other then the rule, but I would just like to acknowledge them publicly and say they did their country proud, to this colonist anyway. (Plus we just adored hearing the little ones speak.)

You are exactly right about our good friends from across the pond....and they are indeed one of the VERY few exceptions :)

My sister-in-law, bro-in-law and niece are over there with the Air Force. We saw them a few months ago and my niece wanted to watch Mary Poppins. It was SO cute to hear her say "Mary Poppins"!

Mickey92

Thanks for the compliments :) I only went earlier this year at Easter (UK Holiday) and yes you are right, most of the schools have broken up for what we call Half-term, which is usually 1-2 weeks off so that probably why there were quite a few british people there. But thankyou so much for your kind compliments :)

Regards,

Tristan

powlessfamily4

I agree, This past June while at WDW I had a lengthy conversation with a woman from London. Halfway through her children arrived on the scene. They were very polite (did not interrupt once) and they even shook my hand when she introduced them to me. I was highly impressed. :)

bgraham34

I always run into people from the UK and always strike up a conversation with them. Since I have worked over their I can relate to them even more. I even had lunch with a family when we ate in Germany and we had such a blast. I wish I kept in touch with them.

MillerPoppins

I noticed it too. We actually ganged up with one English couple against the Brazilian Tour Groups to get out of Fantasmic. It was awesome! We met a lot of friendly folks from across the pond.

Fable McCloud

I went to WDW in October '08, and it was nothing but English, French, and German people. The European kids have their vacation in mid-October, so they were everywhere.

I agree that they were all so friendly and agreeable, and polite! They make the American kids look like rude little brats...*coughmycousincough*

It was really nifty, like an England vacation with better temperatures and food.

I'd be okay with a bunch of British people around the parks. It'd make things feel more Disneyish. Everything would be like Marry Poppins. I'd take that over all the Brazillian tour groups any day.

minnie2000

So glad that the British holidaymakers left a good impresssion! I'm surprised, though, that there were so many there. Flight prices seem to have rocketed lately - we have visited WDW every year from 2005 - 2009, but will not make it in 2010, and probably not in 2011 either. :(

disney magic 06

What a lovely thread! Britis abroad usually get pretty bad press, although I like to think "Disney people are good people"! (OK, not always, I know!)

For my part, I would like to add that we really enjoy listening to the North American children speaking, I do find accents fascinating. We like trying to guess which region they are from.

Incidently, why is Mary Poppins funny???? :shrug:

WDW 3

We were there last week too and noticed the same. My DH commented that he felt like we were the minority:) It was a wonderful week!

Tom

Beta Return
What a lovely thread! Britis abroad usually get pretty bad press, although I like to think "Disney people are good people"! (OK, not always, I know!)

For my part, I would like to add that we really enjoy listening to the North American children speaking, I do find accents fascinating. We like trying to guess which region they are from.

Incidently, why is Mary Poppins funny???? :shrug:

I think what people mean (well, at least what I mean) is that it's funny/cute to hear a kid with a proper English accent say "Mary Poppins" just like the kids in the film :)

It's funny that you can listen and identify so many of our US accents (and by George, there are plenty), but when I hear someone speaking with what I think is a British accent, I can't even narrow it down to the correct country :lol:

Graham9

We was on our honeymoon and we took the boat from Downtown Disney to our resort Port Orleans. The CM in charge of the boat noticed our British accents and said "Is there anyone left in your country?" and my response was "We came here to get away from them all."

:lol::lol:

disney magic 06

I think what people mean (well, at least what I mean) is that it's funny/cute to hear a kid with a proper English accent say "Mary Poppins" just like the kids in the film :)

It's funny that you can listen and identify so many of our US accents (and by George, there are plenty), but when I hear someone speaking with what I think is a British accent, I can't even narrow it down to the correct country :lol:

I said we enjoyed TRYING to identify the accents, not that we were successful! It's incredibly difficult for us but entertains us on the buses :animwink:

Tom

Beta Return
I said we enjoyed TRYING to identify the accents, not that we were successful! It's incredibly difficult for us but entertains us on the buses :animwink:

Ha! I can only imagine how entertaining it must be.

Heck, in Indiana alone, there are at least 3 dialects (regions) - and a few variations of each within each dialect.

We've got some "northerners" up north who often sound like Canadian Jr's. Then there's us in the middle (not sure what we sound like....besides redneck). Then there's the real hillbillys down in southern Indiana :lol:

greebomusic

We was on our honeymoon and we took the boat from Downtown Disney to our resort Port Orleans. The CM in charge of the boat noticed our British accents and said "Is there anyone left in your country?" and my response was "We came here to get away from them all."

:lol::lol:

Line of the day! :ROFLOL:

imagineer boy

I noticed that too. Just about everywhere I went in WDW I'd overhear someone speaking in a British accent.

I wonder if it has somthing to do with WWoHP...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I never see british people LOL but I do see austrailens, they fit in perfectly at Animal kingdom. I dont want to offend anyone but there is one nationality that is verry abusive to their kids. I never go on a trip where I see a kid get abusivly get smacked to the ground. I hate seeing them dragging todlers by their rists with the feet and legs dragging. My parents never did that no me, they just put me in one of those big plastic strollers.

Tom

Beta Return
I never see british people LOL but I do see austrailens, they fit in perfectly at Animal kingdom. I dont want to offend anyone but there is one nationality that is verry abusive to their kids. I never go on a trip where I see a kid get abusivly get smacked to the ground. I hate seeing them dragging todlers by their rists with the feet and legs dragging. My parents never did that no me, they just put me in one of those big plastic strollers.

Now THAT is what I call parenting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom