The Big Ol' Disney Movies Chart

seascape

Did I create this thread just to disparage Disney Studios?

I might have.

Though, they don't need help from me...

View attachment 351422

Mary Poppins Returns looks like it will have lost money in the theatrical window. But I'm sure it will have a profitable aftermarket.

If you look at which movies made the big profits in this decade (Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella), then you know why Disney is making a live adaptation of all their animated films.
Mary Poppins Returns is profitable in the theatrical window. So far it has grossed 170 million in North America and Disney gets a high percentage of the receipts than others do because of their dominance of the box office and tickets sold. So 60% of th as t is 102 million. Then add half the international box office of 170 and that is 85 million. Disney's cut is 187 million. Take off 130 million production costs (no one should believe any of these production cost numbers because of massive overhead built in profits) and that leaves 57 million for advertising, much of which was paid for by third parties. If it had been as bad as you claim Disney would not be looking into another Mary Poppins movie.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Mary Poppins Returns is profitable in the theatrical window. So far it has grossed 170 million in North America and Disney gets a high percentage of the receipts than others do because of their dominance of the box office and tickets sold. So 60% of th as t is 102 million. Then add half the international box office of 170 and that is 85 million. Disney's cut is 187 million. Take off 130 million production costs (no one should believe any of these production cost numbers because of massive overhead built in profits) and that leaves 57 million for advertising, much of which was paid for by third parties. If it had been as bad as you claim Disney would not be looking into another Mary Poppins movie.
Well, if you're not going to read the explanation of the chart figures and instead spout off bad information and unsupported assumptions, then there's no use talking with you about this. Good day.

BrianLo

So in order to figure out profitability for the studio, you take the BO, divide it by 2, and then subtract one and a half the production budget. Again, that’s just a ballpark figure, but, it’s one industry journalists use. So if a movie made or lost about $10 million, it can pretty much be called breaking even, since the numbers aren’t exact. In other words, don’t point to a $2 million dollar loss (for a modern movie) and call it a flop. It’s +/- about $10 million.

I've long been taking issue with the formula you picked to calculate true profit. I know you aren't purposely obscuring home video data, but I think in terms of aftermarket performance for most Disney movies the formula just didn't seem right. Standouts being something like Wreck it Ralph... that I just can't imagine they turned a loss on and rushed towards a sequel.

BUT, I finally realize there is actual better data on the internet to establish my hidden theory that it didn't seem to add up.

Deadline has been publishing semi-official profit analysis in their most valuable blockbuster competition for the last number of years.

Iron Man 3 – 391.8
Thor Dark World – 139.4
Winter Soldier – 166.224
Guardians of the Galaxy – 204.2
Age of Ultron – 382.32
Ant Man 103.9
Civil War – 193.40
Doctor Strange – 122.65
Guardians 2 -154.70
Spiderman Homecoming 210.10
Thor Ragnarok 174.20
Black Panther – 476.82

Frozen – 406.604
Big Hero 6 – 187.339
Zootopia – 294.90
Moana -121.30

Maleficent – 190.77
Cinderella 164.77
Jungle Book 258.15
Beauty and the Beast 414.7

Monsters U – 179.76
Inside Out – 279.51
Finding Dory 296.60
Incredibles 2 – 447.40

Force Awakens – 780.11
Rogue One – 319.60
Last Jedi – 417.5

Perhaps BO/2 - x1 production budget is the more accurate industry standard I've always heard quoted. Using that more accurately lines up with the majority of the numbers quoted above.

Maayyybe -1.25x Budget if you wanted to be picky.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've long been taking issue with the formula you picked to calculate true profit. I know you aren't purposely obscuring home video data, but I think in terms of aftermarket performance for most Disney movies the formula just didn't seem right. Standouts being something like Wreck it Ralph... that I just can't imagine they turned a loss on and rushed towards a sequel.

BUT, I finally realize there is actual better data on the internet to establish my hidden theory that it didn't seem to add up.

Deadline has been publishing semi-official profit analysis in their most valuable blockbuster competition for the last number of years.

Iron Man 3 – 391.8
Thor Dark World – 139.4
Winter Soldier – 166.224
Guardians of the Galaxy – 204.2
Age of Ultron – 382.32
Ant Man 103.9
Civil War – 193.40
Doctor Strange – 122.65
Guardians 2 -154.70
Spiderman Homecoming 210.10
Thor Ragnarok 174.20
Black Panther – 476.82

Frozen – 406.604
Big Hero 6 – 187.339
Zootopia – 294.90
Moana -121.30

Maleficent – 190.77
Cinderella 164.77
Jungle Book 258.15
Beauty and the Beast 414.7

Monsters U – 179.76
Inside Out – 279.51
Finding Dory 296.60
Incredibles 2 – 447.40

Force Awakens – 780.11
Rogue One – 319.60
Last Jedi – 417.5

Perhaps BO/2 - x1 production budget is the more accurate industry standard I've always heard quoted. Using that more accurately lines up with the majority of the numbers quoted above.

Maayyybe -1.25x Budget if you wanted to be picky.

Deadline has specifically said it's including the after-market. I'm specifically not including the after-market since I don't have access to those numbers. And I have no way to guess what that post-theatrical intake would be as a percentage of the original budget or compared to the B.O. take, so, I leave it out.

And I've said many times that while I'm not including the post-theatrical window and that the post-theatrical window can affect how a studio views that movie apart from just the theatrical window.

BrianLo

Deadline has specifically said it's including the after-market. I'm specifically not including the after-market since I don't have access to those numbers. And I have no way to guess what that post-theatrical intake would be as a percentage of the original budget or compared to the B.O. take, so, I leave it out.

And I've said many times that while I'm not including the post-theatrical window and that the post-theatrical window can affect how a studio views that movie apart from just the theatrical window.

Yup, I totally understand you chose not to. But I think we are drawing the wrong conclusions from some movies that are pretty aggressively being under-estimated as a result.

It's all guesswork, why not guess more accurately?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yup, I totally understand you chose not to. But I think we are drawing the wrong conclusions from some movies that are pretty aggressively being under-estimated as a result.

It's all guesswork, why not guess more accurately?

I know that the extra cost of marketing and administration is about 50% of production budget. I know that the studio's take of the B.O. is about 50% of international B.O.

I have no clue how to figure out the post-theatrical take. What was the post-theatrical take for The Nutcracker? What was it for Infinity War? Is that figure usually a percentage of budget or B.O.? I don't know. Thus, I can't calculate it.

BrianLo

I know that the extra cost of marketing and administration is about 50% of production budget. I know that the studio's take of the B.O. is about 50% of international B.O.

I have no clue how to figure out the post-theatrical take. What was the post-theatrical take for The Nutcracker? What was it for Infinity War? Is that figure usually a percentage of budget or B.O.? I don't know. Thus, I can't calculate it.

I wonder where or how Deadline is coming up with its numbers.

I mean it's all a bit moot heading into Disney+, since they are forgoing all their licensing deals moving forward. The funny math of Hollywood gets funnier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom