The Big Difference

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Last night I watched a 30 minute how to video on You Tube about Genie and Genie+, plus other new stuff happening on Oct. 19th. It was made to sound so simple but truthfully I didn't understand a single thing they were talking about. I understood situations but no idea how to easily traverse it. Probably just me, I got into computer crap pretty late in life and will admit that I do not understand all the terminology involved with it. When it is actually operational perhaps some real push this button and click onto that to get this will be shown. Until then I will have to stay away due to technical ignorance. Wasn't planning on going anytime soon anyway. It was made to sound simple because the lady explaining it on the video kept saying, "now this is really easy and it tracks every time you take a breath or sigh or pay attention to something else and know where you are to give you directions to your next "suggested" attraction based on your location, your planned meal times, your expected time to go to the restroom, etc. It just knows and does all the calculations for you. Right, do they think we have forgotten about the cluster that happened the last time they rolled out a new program? This one is 10 times more complex than that one was. Wake me when it is all fixed.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

I get the nostalgia really but most businesses try to keep up with the times.
Case in point, had to upgrade my phone last month. I was surprised to see my new phone a Samsung galaxy no longer has a port for headphones?? Why the vast majority of folks are now using wireless Bluetooth ear buds. So now the 4 pair of headphones with plug in Jack's are obsolete.
It's great that you have those memories but it's ridiculous to equate getting rid of them as an indication that the company doesn't care about its guest ( not saying that wdw does care).
The technology is becoming obsolete, like the typewriter, Sony Walkman and my wired earphones. Sure some people still have those things and look fondly on them and the cost is moot. Why produce tons of useless stuff. Most people no longer get their information that way.
I think you can get a little adapter so you can plug the old analog earphones into the USB port?

I was in the business, for a little while, of converting analog format media to digital, so anything from slides and photos to old VHS/Beta/8mm/etc into digital, which could then be put onto CD-ROM, or DVD (as files or video), or thumb drives or cloud storage. You'd be surprised (I was) at how little interest people have in the process (there are still a few services to do this, but I got out after a while). People are nostalgic for old home movies, photos, and all BUT no one wants to actually pay to move them to the newer tech (or at least not enough to have a sustainable business doing so). Even the reality that videotape, slides, and photos have a shelf life (videotape being the worst) didn't seem to sway many people into converting (and archiving) the cherished memories to be found on the older media.

I, personally, have digitized and archived just about every scrap of my family's media digitized, archived, and available for sharing in the cloud... but that's me.

I guess the point is, nostalgia does seem to have a price tag, and most people just don't want to pay it.

My mom, grandmother, and aunt (mom was born 1930)

pic1e.jpg

John park hopper

Funny as my parents and cousins parents pass on and cousins go through stuff-- family pictures of that generation and earlier turn up that we have never seen or remember and it's --well who is that. Really need to get them on a disk before they fade away

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
We LOVE this one! It's affectionately called "Dave" in our house.
We still watch this as well as many others that my kids grew up with. (Yes, we kept the DVD player plugged in.)
They weren't as much fun after this one, kinda like how the new resort channel isn't as good without Stacey.
We miss Disney being Disney in many, many areas.
I agree that they all went drastically downhill after that one. The next one had CM's floating in clouds or some such crap like that. It wasn't entertaining or even honest sounding. I know that people in this video where actors and getting paid to say a lot of what the were told, but it came across as sincere. The cloud people the next year sounded like a group of CM's that knew that that had to say what they said and because there weren't actors they were not very convincing.

Jrb1979

Last night I watched a 30 minute how to video on You Tube about Genie and Genie+, plus other new stuff happening on Oct. 19th. It was made to sound so simple but truthfully I didn't understand a single thing they were talking about. I understood situations but no idea how to easily traverse it. Probably just me, I got into computer crap pretty late in life and will admit that I do not understand all the terminology involved with it. When it is actually operational perhaps some real push this button and click onto that to get this will be shown. Until then I will have to stay away due to technical ignorance. Wasn't planning on going anytime soon anyway. It was made to sound simple because the lady explaining it on the video kept saying, "now this is really easy and it tracks every time you take a breath or sigh or pay attention to something else and know where you are to give you directions to your next "suggested" attraction based on your location, your planned meal times, your expected time to go to the restroom, etc. It just knows and does all the calculations for you. Right, do they think we have forgotten about the cluster that happened the last time they rolled out a new program? This one is 10 times more complex than that one was. Wake me when it is all fixed.
Genie might be a little complicated but I would imagine most people won't use Genie much maybe newbies who haven't been to Disney much. Genie+ is rather simple if you ever used your phone to book FP when FP+ was around.

DfromATX

I remember the DVD's. I guess part of the reason they don't do them is because most people no longer use DVD's. As for their marketing, they could so a similar production and have it available to stream on their website or YouTube. I would think most people considering a vacation there would start by going to their website, so I don't know why they don't do that - not to mention no more postage costs. You know what else I miss? Does anyone remember the customized maps we could order for free? I think you could order one every 6 months and it would come with your name on it and your favorites marked. I know I still have some somewhere.

Figments Friend

VHS rules. And it's coming back.....you wait and see.
Laugh all you want, but it's coming.
All those 'lost' and 'forgotten' tapes are about to become the next hot collectible.
Mark my words.

I love old technology.
Analog kicks butt.
Don't ask me how many tapes and how many machines I have in my house.
I can watch things nobody has seen on broadcast tv or released officially at any time on my terms.
And I 'own' it....in the archive....in my actual hands.
Physical formats rock.

:)

-

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Genie might be a little complicated but I would imagine most people won't use Genie much maybe newbies who haven't been to Disney much. Genie+ is rather simple if you ever used your phone to book FP when FP+ was around.
May not be complicated but the way it is set up involves having ones nose stuck in their phone all day. I thought originally that if you paid the $15.00 for the available attractions you could just hit those attractions when it was convenient to do so, and only once, like at Universal. However, you can only get one time slot at a time just like the old paper FP used to work and you cannot, under regular circumstances, get another until you have used that one. (situations that I can only describe as a cluster might happen like a ride breakdown which throws the entire dynamic off. They don't know how that is going to work yet.) So if you want to use all attractions that might be available each day I can envision you going back and forth across the parks all day or they will suggest one closer to where you are located in the park and question if you want that one instead. That is ok unless you have a priority that you might like to see first, then it is back to putting on a lot of miles.

Then, of course there are the extra charge attractions (from what they said, not a small amount of money), families are going to get more expensive than they already are. However, in all their gracious generosity you are welcome to use the Standby line anytime you want. The program will track your whereabouts so that custodians will easily find the skeletal remains of those still stuck in line waiting.

DfromATX

I think you can get a little adapter so you can plug the old analog earphones into the USB port?

I was in the business, for a little while, of converting analog format media to digital, so anything from slides and photos to old VHS/Beta/8mm/etc into digital, which could then be put onto CD-ROM, or DVD (as files or video), or thumb drives or cloud storage. You'd be surprised (I was) at how little interest people have in the process (there are still a few services to do this, but I got out after a while). People are nostalgic for old home movies, photos, and all BUT no one wants to actually pay to move them to the newer tech (or at least not enough to have a sustainable business doing so). Even the reality that videotape, slides, and photos have a shelf life (videotape being the worst) didn't seem to sway many people into converting (and archiving) the cherished memories to be found on the older media.

I, personally, have digitized and archived just about every scrap of my family's media digitized, archived, and available for sharing in the cloud... but that's me.

I guess the point is, nostalgia does seem to have a price tag, and most people just don't want to pay it.

My mom, grandmother, and aunt (mom was born 1930)

View attachment 593822
I had our home movies (from the 70's) converted to VHS and then later to DVD. I don't remember it being super expensive though and they were able to get all of the 8mm tape (?) onto one VHS tape/DVD. They even added background music since there's no sound, so I guess it's not quite as boring lol. But my parents enjoy them and they are the ones who I did it for. My mom thinks it's a treasure!

We've got photos dating back to the early 1900's. (I have one of my grandma, who was born in 1916, in a swimsuit. It goes to her knees and she's wearing a swim cap. We also have photos of HER parents so I guess we actually have photos from the 1800's.) It would be nice to have them preserved digitally. It's amazing that they are still in relatively good condition.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
We should be able to visit the past without feeling like we are hoarders or people unable to fit into the world of new technology. It was those now obsolete personal, in your home, media that got many of us hooked, but others feel that now that you can push a button on your computer that we should completely abandon and destroy our past and embrace the new that we can touch via that same computer button. Just not the same thing. After I'm dead I'm sure my family will just find the closest dumpster for my 30+ years of collecting those memories. At that point I will probably be fine with it. I still feel that their lives are much colder due to that attitude.

Oddysey

VHS rules. And it's coming back.....you wait and see.
Laugh all you want, but it's coming.
All those 'lost' and 'forgotten' tapes are about to become the next hot collectible.
Mark my words.

I love old technology.
Analog kicks butt.
Don't ask me how many tapes and how many machines I have in my house.
I can watch things nobody has seen on broadcast tv or released officially at any time on my terms.
And I 'own' it....in the archive....in my actual hands.
Physical formats rock.

-

Also when you own physical, the content does not get edited which is starting to happen with more regularity on popular streaming services. Often scenes get deleted when deemed offensive or the music is changed due licensing issues. Streaming is very convenient, and I have become part of the problem because I use the services. However, I hate the cost of potentially losing the original source material and the ability to view something as it was originally intended to be viewed. Not to mention the lack of real ownership associated with streaming.

Figments Friend

Also when you own physical, the content does not get edited which is starting to happen with more regularity on popular streaming services. Often scenes get deleted when deemed offensive or the music is changed due licensing issues. Streaming is very convenient, and I have become part of the problem because I use the services. However, I hate the cost of potentially losing the original source material and the ability to view something as it was originally intended to be viewed. Not to mention the lack of real ownership associated with streaming.

Another good point, yes.

Example I immediately think of is the VHS copy I have of the original 1977 'Star Wars'.
And when I say 'Original', I mean THE original film the world was stunned by and is unaltered.....before George Lucas decided it needed to be 'enhanced'.
The edited / altered / fluffed-with version of this film is now the only version available to anyone wanting to see it today.
I can watch the REAL 'Star Wars' anytime...and it's great.

Hmmm, talking about it makes me want to watch it right now.
Yay legacy technology!

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom