The Big Berm Theory

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
I live up in the northeast, and we have a "weed" with purple flowers that people love to plant (it's very pretty) that has been illegalized because of it's invasive quality. It's not a forest killer, but it has been a huge problem with taking over marshes and suffocating the native varieties of marsh plants.

EDIT: You'd think we'd realize that we should stop trying to import animals/plants that aren't here on their own.
Ahh, no doubt Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria). Fun facts: purple loosestrife can become the dominant plant species in wetlands. One plant can produce as many as 2 million wind-dispersed seeds per year and underground stems grow at a rate of 1 foot per year. It was introduced in 1800 for ornamental and medicinal purposes. 🙄

We did actually realize that, but not before way too much made its way over. Then of course, there's the stuff that comes over as seeds, eggs and what-not in everyday shipping containers. Of course, anyone that flies internationally knows that trying to bring over foods, vegetables, plants, insects and other animals - will get you in hot water with customs. They even want to know if you've spent time at farms, near livestock, etc. Think foot & mouth disease, bird flu and all that fun stuff.

Brad Bishop

Reminds me of the landscaping at The Land in Epcot. Specifically the right side at stroller parking.

New rumor!! In an effort to increase guest satisfaction, Stroller Parking to be relocated just outside the MK entrance.. LOL

I heard they're building a stroller parking garage just North of the Bay Lake Tower.

I don't know what changed from when I was a kid to now but the stroller deal is pretty out of hand.

ImperfectPixie

Ahh, no doubt Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria). Fun facts: purple loosestrife can become the dominant plant species in wetlands. One plant can produce as many as 2 million wind-dispersed seeds per year and underground stems grow at a rate of 1 foot per year. It was introduced in 1800 for ornamental and medicinal purposes. 🙄

We did actually realize that, but not before way too much made its way over. Then of course, there's the stuff that comes over as seeds, eggs and what-not in everyday shipping containers. Of course, anyone that flies internationally knows that trying to bring over foods, vegetables, plants, insects and other animals - will get you in hot water with customs. They even want to know if you've spent time at farms, near livestock, etc. Think foot & mouth disease, bird flu and all that fun stuff.
THANK YOU! Couldn't remember the name.

Seems as though we did A LOT of damage in a (relatively speaking) short amount of time.

fradz

I don't know what changed from when I was a kid to now but the stroller deal is pretty out of hand.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-parks-annual-attendance-history.940544/
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2017-theme-park-attendance-data.943129/page-4

More people, more problems.
Or more precisely: what used to be a mere inconvenience is amplified when the park is twice as crowded as historically, and strollers take space. Space is capacity, capacity is money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom