Trip Report The Better Late than Never Halloween (and boy can I be stupid) Report

Well, here it goes. I've never done a trip report before, but I'll give it a go. Even though we went 2 months ago. See, after we got home, it was Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas........and on and on. So FINALLY, a free minute.

The Place: Art of Animation Family Suites.

The Players:
myself- somewhere over 50 year old Disney-holic extraordinaire. I can't get enough. Love the place and usually wearing my rose colored glasses while there. Stop telling me about burned out light bulbs and let me live in the bubble! I get to go usually 1-3 times per year. Anytime someone in the family wants to go, I get to be tour guide.
And planner! With very tight schedules, laminated pocket cards with entire schedule, including order of rides, times, and reservation numbers, and in general type A personality. I try to schedule bathroom breaks but the family rebels- but when they do come out with FP+ for the bathrooms, I'm IN! Then I can make them accept the schedule.
DSCN7382.JPG

my brother Dan and his wife Dottie- both somewhere over 40 (but she's MUCH younger than him), hard working parents of four. Also love Disney but not like me, but that would be hard to achieve. They live life late, and never worry about anything. (hoop de doo reservations in 15 minutes and we're still in the hotel at AoA?- don't worry, we'll make it). Makes for challenges for a type A tight scheduled person to travel with. Fortunately we all love each other, so no blood was shed. Even though it was close at times!
DSCN5419.JPG

And their wonderful children. Dan, 12, Maeve 10, Patty 6, and Kieran 4.

DSCN5411.JPG

well, ok, one on one they're wonderful. put four kids together and there's mass chaos and fighting. But again, no blood was shed.

So here goes, we left Philly on Friday Oct 18 at 8 o'clock at night, to arrive at MCO at 10:30 PM. I have learned that it is easier to fly in late at night Friday than Saturday. We leave after work on Friday, the tickets are cheaper, more than pays for the hotel and we have a fresh non-sleep deprived start in the morning. We stay right in the Hyatt at the airport, and the kids enjoy watching the planes taking off and landing from their hotel room.

THIS TIME HOWEVER, was different than any before. And here's where the I AM STUPID thing comes in. Since we had sooooo many people with us (7), we wouldn't all fit in the rental car at the same time as our luggage. (or so I thought at the time- more on that later)
No problem. Little Miss Type A personality can fix anything. We will leave our luggage with bell services at the Hyatt overnight, and I will get up super early in the morning, go pick up the rental car and head out to AoA and drop off everyone's luggage and come back and get everyone to go to Typhoon Lagoon.

Here's the thing, I had so much trouble with MDE before leaving home, that all I had on my mind was going to concierge while I was dropping off luggage and getting things straightened out.
So with this on my mind instead of my assigned task, NOT GOOD!
I got the car, and headed out to WDW, just as I saw this sign
disney dan 562.JPG

my favorite in the World- I realized that I never got the luggage!
Yup, all the way there without the luggage!
Holy Moly, all the way back to the airport I go

Forty minutes and several dollars in tolls later, I arrive back at the hotel and put all the luggage in the car.

Off again I go to WDW. Saw this sign again...
disney dan 562.JPG

Yup, I agree with you. Not nearly as exciting second time around, And now one hour behind schedule. And I LIKE SCHEDULES!!!!

So, anyway, check in at Aoa, which I really do love

disney dan 1225.JPG
disney dan 285.JPG

and go in and talk to concierge, takes some time, but things get straightened out and off I rush to get back on the road and try to make up some of the lost time.

Another 45 minutes back, another set of tolls and I arrive back to get the family and head out.

OK, SO HERE IT IS...........ANYONE ELSE NOTICE?

I FAILED TO DROP OFF THE LUGGAGE, THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE TRIP !!!!!
YUP, GOT ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE AIRPORT, TRIED TO PUT PEOPLE IN THE CAR AND THEY DIDN'T FIT! OH YEAH..... THE LUGGAGE!

I WANT TO BLOW MY BRAINS OUT! I'm not normally scatter brained but this MDE thing had my goat!

Well, no way I was going BACK to WDW again! So, I proved that I wouldn't have had to make that trip in the first place. I manage to get 7 people, 7 full size suitcases, 7 carry on suitcases and 1 stroller all into a mini-van at the same time. IT WAS NOT PRETTY!
but it worked, so off we go to Typhoon Lagoon so we can unpack everything so people can crawl out of the minivan. alas, finally someplace fun!

docdebbi

Original Poster
really great seats, don't we all look happy just to be there?
it's the miracle meal

DSCN8005.JPG

the actors do indeed get close to this table.

DSCN8006.JPG

but this is a little TOOCLOSE !
we actually had to lean back as they went by to give them their "personal space"

DSCN8007.JPG

food is good as always
DSCN8010.JPG

kids certainly seemed to love it
DSCN8026.JPG

Mom's strawberry shortcake

DSCN8033.JPG

the musical talent in our family is just incredible
DSCN8043.JPG

the show is very entertaining

disney dan 189.JPG

disney dan 191.JPG

still enthralled.....

disney dan 192.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
OMG- you don't even want to know how the next morning went.
I love my brother and SIL
but may I repeat..........there is a SCHEDULE FOR A REASON!!!

so we are supposed to drop the 2 younger girls off for a pirate cruise on the way to downtown disney
purposely picked the one from caribbean beach so that we could all drop the kids off and go right to downtown, since caribbean beach is between the two. I plan so well.

of course it didn't work out that way.
of course, not ready to leave when we should, then there is shopping going on, then there are people getting lost on the way to the car..........and on and on

i repeat I do love them and had a wonderful trip, but schedule is not their strong suit

so Dottie and I take the girls to CB to drop them off, and arrive 15 minutes after scheduled departure time. fortunately, they are still there. last kids to get suited up as pirates

DSCN8057.JPG

DSCN8063.JPG

but they made it....once again, by the skin of their teeth
DSCN8066.JPG

DSCN8073.JPG

bye bye girls, have fun.

DSCN8083.JPG

now we have to go back to Art of Animation and find the missing personnel. at least I got them to get me a soda and have one for me when we got back. some bonus......

now the adults got to do shopping. fortunately for us, our experience was nothing like fractals, that description of the sea of humanity he encountered still has me laughing. ("I'll stop the world and melt with you", in case you missed it- nearly wet my pants!)
fortunately, early in the morning, the place was pretty empty, although the crowds were starting to build by lunchtime.

our assigned project was to do all of our souvenir shopping while the girls were having fun. then my brother was to pick them up while we finish up shopping and all meet for lunch at T-Rex.

that part of the plan went almost according to schedule. well, almost meaning, yup, he didn't leave quite on time but still made it as they were arriving back. how do they keep pulling this stuff off? they amaze me.

the conquering pirates return

disney dan 207.JPG

with the treasure, matey

disney dan 215.JPG

the girls had a ball, and came home with treasures beyond compare. gold and jewels and toys, oh my!

i will say, we sent the bigger two out on the pirate cruise when they were little, but the one from the Grand Floridian, and was more impressed with that one.
we chose Carribean beach for the location and the boat is not done up at all like a pirate ship like the one at GF and they did not do nearly as much aaarrrggg-ing and ahoy-ing. girls still had fun and didn't know the difference, but given a choice, i would do GF one next time

this is the ship several years ago from GF

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

so, after he brings the girls back, it's off to T-Rex for lunch

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
so we all meet up for an adventure at T-Rex.

Kieran decided she was really a dinosaur. ooohhh, terrifying.....I'm scared. but apparently her mother is not.

DSCN8088 (2).jpg

but let us not forget, she's also a pirate.
just look at this "loot". dinos playing with treasure.........not sure that works for me. but it does for her.
DSCN8100.JPG

i do love the theme of this place, and the food is decent, but boy is it noisy. Worth it though.

DSCN8103.JPG

we shared the appetizer plate, it was actually delicious. better even than their meals

DSCN8123.JPG

not sure what dino did what to her, but apparently, it WAS NOT good

DSCN8104.JPG

we were seated in the ice cave, but we spent a bunch of time in the undersea room as Kieran preferred fishes to dinos. i guess they are more her size, and a little less scary.
DSCN8105.JPG

Maeve was her protector. what a good big sister

DSCN8113.JPG

apparently being actually eaten by a dinosaur is less distressing than whatever bothered her in the earlier pic. that must have been one ugly dino!

DSCN8116.JPG

I got into a roaring contest, that dino won't be bothering my little Kieran again

disney dan 252.JPG

hey finally, Kieran sized dino that doesn't bother her. hooray

DSCN8118.JPG

Last edited:

FlaggNL

thanks, glad you are following
we are a crazy lot, but it makes things more fun!

Lol, join the club! I guess we are as crazy. Absolutely will show it here after our trip here with a TR, so far 'just' a PTR and some TR's of some of our trips to DLP!

docdebbi

Original Poster
now, we are supposed to make a quick stop at the Lego store and then go back to the hotel and actually take some time to look around at the amazing job Disney did theme-ing AoA.
Of course not, a quick stop turned into 2 hours.
go figure.................

DSCN8126.JPG

have to take all the classic shots there though, so here they are

DSCN8127.JPG

DSCN8151.JPG

DSCN8150.JPG

however, once again, lots of fun to be had while cheating on the schedule,;
but once again, rest time significantly cut down for the day............

everyone got into the act, even the grown ups

DSCN8129.JPG

the cute little girls made Cinderella's castle and a house and garden.

DSCN8137.JPG

Cindy's castle-

DSCN8142.JPG

while the gross older kids had a contest to see who could make the most Zombie proof safe house.
What?
What is wrong with you guys, you are at Disney World, there ARE no zombies.
DSCN8144.JPG

DSCN8145.JPG

but after much craziness, finally I talked them into going back to the hotel..............

docdebbi

Original Poster
when we finally arrived home we all went on a hike to visit each different area in AoA.
although we had been here for a week by now, it was always quick in and out and no time to explore.
but I did have it on the SCHEDULE for today! ha ha

first up, Cars section

DSCN8157.JPG

DSCN8153.JPG

DSCN8156.JPG

DSCN8161.JPG

disney dan 316.JPG

DSCN8160.JPG

the Lion King section

disney dan 322.JPG

DSCN8168.JPG

DSCN8165.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
so back to our section, Finding Nemo building, and some time at the pool
which we really no longer had time for, but we had promised the kids, and that's a hard promise to break.
but we'll just cut it short and still get out in time for dinner.......right?
ha ha ha ha ha
even you guys know better than that by now :confused:

disney dan 388.JPG

disney dan 358.JPG

DSCN8184.JPG

ok, off to the pool, swim fast!

DSCN8196.JPG

DSCN8193.JPG

disney dan 391.JPG

disney dan 374.JPG

disney dan 378.JPG

so, out of the pool, dress quick and off to try out Best Our Guest for dinner. I've been there for lunch, but not dinner, and the family have never been there. A big night coming up.........

docdebbi

Original Poster
We dress quickly, or as quickly as a group of seven that includes my brother can dress, and drive over to the TTC. As tonight was a MNSSHP night, the line to get on the monorail was LOOONNNGGG. so we opted for the ferry, good idea, as it's nice to use all the types of transportation while at WDW, just for the experience.

Here comes the Richard F. Irvine

DSCN8205.JPG

disney dan 408.JPG

Beautiful views from the ferry, much nicer than from the monorail IMHO

DSCN8202.JPG

DSCN8207.JPG

sun was setting, how wonderful

disney dan 416.JPG

Pass the Joe Potter on the way, Hi all!
DSCN8208.JPG

We seem to be running just a little late, which is good for us, so we stop for a pic with the Halloween decorations

DSCN8214.JPG

then Dottie lets me know that she bought the wrong item when shopping at DTD this AM and intends to go into the Emporium and trade it. We are just going to make it to BoG on time if we rush, and we have one of the last reservations of the night as the party is going on, so we need to be there shortly after our reservation time.
Notice, how I've moved from "on time" for our reservation, to "shortly after" our reservation.........what a week.
So while Dottie is doing the exchange we enjoy some of the store windows

disney dan 420.JPG

DSCN8216.JPG

DSCN8215.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
some done up very nicely for Halloween

DSCN8217.JPG

DSCN8218.JPG

Well, by now, I am very antsy to get to our reservation. but Dottie is having trouble deciding what to buy instead of what she originally purchased. so she is on the phone with folks back home trying to figure out people's birthdates so she can get the right birthstone.
ok, I'll distract myself a little more with some balloon photos.

DSCN8209.JPG

DSCN8212.JPG

alright, nothing is now distracting me......we gotta go
my brother and I and all but one kid run like the wind to go check in and save our reservation

now we know for a FACT, that they don't let you check in until everyone in your party is present, but we were hoping for the best as we are about to lose the reservation altogether

I resort to lying, since I see a long line of folks waiting after they have checked in
"Yup, we're all here, yup, every one of us"
figured God would forgive me this one small lie.........I REALLY want to eat here and nothing is moving Dottie.

finally Dottie and the missing one arrive, just plodding along, no rushing, no running. nothing bothers this group. I am sweating bullets, and we are all sweating real sweat from running, and they just wander along, clueless and happy.........but again, it worked out, they win! see, no reason to worry

while we wait, time for some pictures and posing.
i really am excited, only my second time here and I think the place is great!

DSCN8222.JPG

taken from the bridge

DSCN8224.JPG

DSCN8225 (2).jpg

everyone loves a good gargoyle

DSCN8228.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
i certainly do

DSCN8242.JPG

but i think Dottie may like him a little more

DSCN8239.JPG

a shot of Maurice's cottage from behind

DSCN8230.JPG

a kind soul volunteered to take a shot of all of us

disney dan 427.JPG

i love the detail of Beast's castle, incredible it's only about 5 foot tall, forced perspective is great

disney dan 432.JPG

little mermaid from our vantage point, shame the construction walls are there, but they'll be gone soon

disney dan 433.JPG

can you tell we were really enjoying ourselves at this point, and we hadn't even had a wine yet

disney dan 437.JPG

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
and then, it happened, as I was taking shots of the construction of Seven Dwarves Mine Train................
DSCN8235.JPG

and thinking this is pretty cool as a keepsake.............

DSCN8237.JPG

they test the cars for I believe the first time- at least according the a report on WDWMAGIC the next day- and I was just shooting along. how cool is that?
DSCN8236.JPG

they call us in, I had requested the ballroom and we were lucky enough (jeez, these guys ARE lucky) to get it

DSCN8251.JPG

DSCN8252 (2).jpg

DSCN8253.JPG

beautiful presentation

DSCN8248.JPG

DSCN8244.JPG

DSCN8250.JPG

we were seated right on the aisle where the beast makes his frequent appearances, how lucky can these guys get?

DSCN8284.JPG

up next, the great food and a SPECIAL family tradition rears its ugly head...........oh no, not in public!

docdebbi

Original Poster
absolutely beautiful setting, we did like this place (once we finally got there!)

DSCN8265 (2).jpg

I had the braised beef, absolutely wonderful
DSCN8268.JPG

my brother had the shrimp and scallops

DSCN8272.JPG

i admit, i took a few moments to eat my meal, between taking pictures, but before I could get any more pics,
THIS HAPPENED

DSCN8273.JPG

DSCN8274.JPG

DSCN8275.JPG

DSCN8276.JPG

not even a crumb left, first time this happened all week

guess they liked their food

docdebbi

Original Poster
beast kept coming by, even waved to the girls

disney dan 487.JPG

whoopeee dessert time

disney dan 496.JPG

kieran had no trouble picking hers

DSCN8288.JPG

they had the classics, like strawberry cupcake, absolutely delicious

DSCN8289.JPG

and some seasonal halloween treats

DSCN8290 (2).jpg

looks interesting, but purple icing doesn't do it for me

DSCN8290.JPG

danny enjoyed his halloween chocolate cream puff

DSCN8292.JPG

but i HAD to try the gray stuff

DSCN8291.JPG

it had a hard shell crust and soft chocolate cake filling- it was excellent

DSCN8293.JPG

now thus far, i have not shown you what happened during the meal

we have a very interesting family and sometimes our joint genetic makeup just takes over......

one person starts
then another joins in
then another

not every family has the distinct talents that ours does...................
very few people can pull this off, let alone an entire family...............

docdebbi

Original Poster
ok, here it is...........

we can hang spoons from our noses........often while continuing to eat and drink- and maybe even laugh a little

DSCN8279.JPG

this is bad enough, but it seems to always come out in public places
in particular, upscale restaurants

disney dan 495.JPG

or weddings

DSCN8282.JPG

i'm never sure exactly who starts it, but once it's started, there's no drawing back, it's an out and out contest to see who can hang it longest while doing the most outrageous things

IMG_2353.JPG

DSCN8285.JPG

alright, SOME of us apparently can't do it,
i believe this is called cheating

DSCN8278.JPG

he must have been adopted, he certainly isn't my brother

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
after displaying to everyone in the restaurant our absolute and total lack of class, we went into the West Wing to sort of hide in the dark

disney dan 504.JPG

disney dan 506.JPG

then we checked out and went to meet the beast.

DSCN8296.JPG

wdw201329915906959_6873542800.jpg

you walk out through the armory
and for some reason, no one pretended violence with this armor
maybe after the prior display, they were afraid we would ACTUALLY be tossed out on our noses!

disney dan 519.JPG

stopped for some girlie pics

DSCN8301.JPG

disney dan 523.JPG

and some not so girlie pics

disney dan 529.JPG

now is where it got even weirder--- is that humanly possible?

i had heard that this would happen, and wasn't too happy about it, and it was just as bad as i had heard

since MNSSHP was going on at the time we finished our meal, at the exit of the restaurant you are met by a CM who checks you for tickets. if you aren't staying for the party, they radio for your "escort".
a CM with a big sign with a light on top, comes and gets you and leads you all the way out of the park. people know you have been caught trying to sneak into the party and are being led out. not the case with us, we weren't cheating, but get the same escort as they.

not only was it embarrassing, but absolutely ridiculous. there were about 12 of us being escorted out, the guy gets in the front of the line, and expects everyone to follow him.
now picture the crowds at this party and we are weaving in and out of them in the pitch black.

see the white ghost in this shot, there's our escort.

disney dan 531.JPG

if we had really wanted to stay it would have been ridiculously easy to zig when he zagged, he never even looked back to check on us, and he set quite a rapid pace. we actually had trouble keeping up with him. but since we had no intention of staying, we ran as fast as we could to get thrown unceremoniously out of the park.

then, on our last night at WDW, we couldn't bring ourselves to just go home and pack as the schedule called for.
OUR LAST NIGHT? SAY IT AIN'T SO
THERE MUST BE A WAY TO EXTEND THIS THING
WE'RE HAVING TOO MUCH FUN

i know, let's take the monorail over to the poly and get the dole whip that we missed when in the parks because we didn't follow the schedule and didn't have time

i have a great idea, let's not follow the schedule to make up for not following the schedule :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom