Trip Report The Better Late than Never Halloween (and boy can I be stupid) Report

Well, here it goes. I've never done a trip report before, but I'll give it a go. Even though we went 2 months ago. See, after we got home, it was Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas........and on and on. So FINALLY, a free minute.

The Place: Art of Animation Family Suites.

The Players:
myself- somewhere over 50 year old Disney-holic extraordinaire. I can't get enough. Love the place and usually wearing my rose colored glasses while there. Stop telling me about burned out light bulbs and let me live in the bubble! I get to go usually 1-3 times per year. Anytime someone in the family wants to go, I get to be tour guide.
And planner! With very tight schedules, laminated pocket cards with entire schedule, including order of rides, times, and reservation numbers, and in general type A personality. I try to schedule bathroom breaks but the family rebels- but when they do come out with FP+ for the bathrooms, I'm IN! Then I can make them accept the schedule.
DSCN7382.JPG

my brother Dan and his wife Dottie- both somewhere over 40 (but she's MUCH younger than him), hard working parents of four. Also love Disney but not like me, but that would be hard to achieve. They live life late, and never worry about anything. (hoop de doo reservations in 15 minutes and we're still in the hotel at AoA?- don't worry, we'll make it). Makes for challenges for a type A tight scheduled person to travel with. Fortunately we all love each other, so no blood was shed. Even though it was close at times!
DSCN5419.JPG

And their wonderful children. Dan, 12, Maeve 10, Patty 6, and Kieran 4.

DSCN5411.JPG

well, ok, one on one they're wonderful. put four kids together and there's mass chaos and fighting. But again, no blood was shed.

So here goes, we left Philly on Friday Oct 18 at 8 o'clock at night, to arrive at MCO at 10:30 PM. I have learned that it is easier to fly in late at night Friday than Saturday. We leave after work on Friday, the tickets are cheaper, more than pays for the hotel and we have a fresh non-sleep deprived start in the morning. We stay right in the Hyatt at the airport, and the kids enjoy watching the planes taking off and landing from their hotel room.

THIS TIME HOWEVER, was different than any before. And here's where the I AM STUPID thing comes in. Since we had sooooo many people with us (7), we wouldn't all fit in the rental car at the same time as our luggage. (or so I thought at the time- more on that later)
No problem. Little Miss Type A personality can fix anything. We will leave our luggage with bell services at the Hyatt overnight, and I will get up super early in the morning, go pick up the rental car and head out to AoA and drop off everyone's luggage and come back and get everyone to go to Typhoon Lagoon.

Here's the thing, I had so much trouble with MDE before leaving home, that all I had on my mind was going to concierge while I was dropping off luggage and getting things straightened out.
So with this on my mind instead of my assigned task, NOT GOOD!
I got the car, and headed out to WDW, just as I saw this sign
disney dan 562.JPG

my favorite in the World- I realized that I never got the luggage!
Yup, all the way there without the luggage!
Holy Moly, all the way back to the airport I go

Forty minutes and several dollars in tolls later, I arrive back at the hotel and put all the luggage in the car.

Off again I go to WDW. Saw this sign again...
disney dan 562.JPG

Yup, I agree with you. Not nearly as exciting second time around, And now one hour behind schedule. And I LIKE SCHEDULES!!!!

So, anyway, check in at Aoa, which I really do love

disney dan 1225.JPG
disney dan 285.JPG

and go in and talk to concierge, takes some time, but things get straightened out and off I rush to get back on the road and try to make up some of the lost time.

Another 45 minutes back, another set of tolls and I arrive back to get the family and head out.

OK, SO HERE IT IS...........ANYONE ELSE NOTICE?

I FAILED TO DROP OFF THE LUGGAGE, THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE TRIP !!!!!
YUP, GOT ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE AIRPORT, TRIED TO PUT PEOPLE IN THE CAR AND THEY DIDN'T FIT! OH YEAH..... THE LUGGAGE!

I WANT TO BLOW MY BRAINS OUT! I'm not normally scatter brained but this MDE thing had my goat!

Well, no way I was going BACK to WDW again! So, I proved that I wouldn't have had to make that trip in the first place. I manage to get 7 people, 7 full size suitcases, 7 carry on suitcases and 1 stroller all into a mini-van at the same time. IT WAS NOT PRETTY!
but it worked, so off we go to Typhoon Lagoon so we can unpack everything so people can crawl out of the minivan. alas, finally someplace fun!

docdebbi

Original Poster
After dinner at the plaza, we went to the bathrooms next door to change into our costumes. thought I'd be embarrassed changing here, but we had to wait for a stall..........apparently everyone had the same idea.
the only problem? it was still 90+ degrees and humidity was awful! and some of us were in fleece costumes. can never guess the weather this time of year.

apparently the little girls didn't mind. they so loved their costumes they really didn't care

every year I make everyone's costume, and the girls just love getting to pick their fabric and style.

merida- or "sparkly merida" as she requested

DSCN7721.JPG

rapunzel

DSCN7723.JPG

minnie, of course

DSCN7726.JPG

and Winnie the pooh and friends, boy were they hot!

DSCN7732.JPG

see how happy he is to be in fleece?

DSCN7736.JPG

Mickey wasn't happy about posing, but caught him in the family/castle photo

DSCN7740.JPG

Winnie and company had to ride Winnie............

DSCN7741.JPG

lots of candy to be had - notice the lightweight clothes on the lady behind us...smart girl

DSCN7750 (2).jpg

DSCN7753.JPG

never pull a tigger's tail, doesn't she know this?? it was her favorite game all night

disney dan 1003.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
the parade was crazy crowded, were several rows of folks back standing on the stocks in Liberty Square, and we lined up an hour plus ahead. the heat was crazy, and it wasn't our happiest time, but when the parade started it got a little better.

actually caught the headless horseman en route

DSCN7755.JPG

DSCN7757.JPG

had to catch a shot of our namesakes..............
DSCN7761.JPG

did ride the haunted mansion, a requirement for me at this party. no more appropriate night of the year....
wdw201329615127406_6875492134.jpg

wdw201329615127406_6875497315.jpg

all in all, a tiring but fun night. late night getting in, and still needed baths, a little bit of sweat to deal with!!!

docdebbi

Original Poster
Next morning again we got to see an empty castle. You know what that means? We were on schedule. Yea!
Breakfast at CRT. A little girl's dream and an adolescent boys nightmare. He's a good sport and didn't whine a bit. Seriously, I was surprised. maybe he knew Jasmine would be there........now THAT is an adolescent boys dream.

DSCN7785.JPG

first stop, cinderella

DSCN7791.JPG

then Ariel. I must admit, I love the new fancier fabrics of the outfits, not such a fan of the off the shoulders deal.
disney dan 1061.JPG

Jasmine, yup, he didn't mind posing with her at all.

disney dan 1072.JPG

DSCN7824.JPG

apparently my brother has no issues with his masculinity. Waved that wand all around.

DSCN7801.JPG

We really are a nice loving family, but somehow armor brings out the violence in the family........

disney dan 1073.JPG

I think I see her tonsils

DSCN7834.JPG

Right after breakfast we went to see Merida. We were there 1/2 an hour before she opened and there will still an incredibly long line. we had actually tried the night before at MNNSHP, but the line was over 2 hours long! Wow. Even more amazing because the bow and arrow weren't being used. they told us that it was broken. So since the older kids only wanted to see her so that they could do archery (maybe violence is a bigger trend with us than I thought), we went off and did splash mountain while the little girls and Dottie waited for Merida.
disney dan 1083.JPG

She just loved twirling. what little girl wouldn't?
disney dan 1084.JPG

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
disney dan 1091.JPG

they got to at least pose with the nonfunctional target

disney dan 1092.JPG

DSCN7844.JPG

not sure what was going on, think he was just being silly

DSCN7841 (2).jpg

We all met for the new Princess Fairytale hall
fortunately we had FP+ because the line was crazy long, and it is not really air conditioned in there, and even with FP+ we waited over half an hour. it was just recently opened, hopefully, they will work out the kinks. it is beautiful, just hot.

DSCN7853.JPG

DSCN7854.JPG

some of the art work in the waiting area
DSCN7856.JPG

snow white again, we certainly had our fill of princesses this trip.

DSCN7862.JPG

Rapunzel, meet rapunzel.

DSCN7871.JPG

kids get to look at the original story on the way out, kids didn't believe I could really read German, but after seven years of it in school, I could remember some.........at least enough to read these pages :)
DSCN7864.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
Next up.........A Tale of Two Beauties

Side by side they sat down..........
both excited to become princesses

DSCN7891.JPG

Precious Patty

DSCN7892 - Copy.JPG

and sweet little Kieran

DSCN7893.JPG

but then.........it happened.................

exhaustion began to catch up with her

DSCN7894.JPG

no, she wouldn't, not here, in BBB.........can't happen. she waited the whole trip for this..........

DSCN7897 - Copy.JPG

oh, I was wrong, it could AND DID happen. out she went.

DSCN7902.JPG

even face jewels and make up and hair pulling and nail polish couldn't wake her.

DSCN7905.JPG

had to be carried out and still didn't wake.
truly, a sleeping beauty. you knew it was coming, didn't you?

meanwhile, back with the awake child..........

she certainly appreciated the pampering

DSCN7896.JPG

DSCN7904.JPG

DSCN7909 - Copy.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
anyone else enjoy the dichotomy of the evening gown sparkle material and the dirty sneakers?

DSCN7907.JPG

how our bigger princess left BBB

DSCN7912 - Copy.JPG

got so into the role, she wanted to be carried like a real princess.

disney dan 1194.JPG

how our littler princess left BBB,
well, at least she got a good rest........

DSCN7911.JPG

and so ends the Tale of Two Beauties

disney dan 1181.JPG

a quick snack, first time I got a mickey pretzel, fun fun fun

DSCN7914.JPG

then Tom Sawyer Island
DSCN7916.JPG

Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdins Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise,
DSCN7917.JPG

and finally home. a looonnnggg tiring day, but one of the best.

oh no, now princess number 3 is out..........
if we just kept to THE SCHEDULE, they'd get enough sleep ! only kidding, but true!!!!

DSCN7921.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
Went back to the hotel and the little guys slept while once again the big kids went to the pool. we were getting brave enough with their behavior that they actually started going to the pool without us. of course it helped that we were on the first floor, closest to the pool and if you stuck your head out the door you could actually see the pool! it also helps that they are both competitive swimmers with scholarships in their future, so we felt pretty safe.

tonight's plan was back to the park by 6:00 to claim a spot on main street near Tomorrowland noodle terrace because we had reservations for the Wishes dessert party.

Guess what? Yup, we were a little late getting there. I make a schedule for a reason people! alas.........
but we did arrive by 6:30, not that far off schedule. Unbelievable- main street was taken pretty much in it's entirety. An hour and a half before the parade, and barely a spot to be had. I did snag us a small spot just a little down from Tony's where three kids could sit in front and adults stand behind.
But, oh yeah, Railroad wasn't on the schedule, but they decided that they wanted to do it, and now was the time. It was MY job to fend off all comers while they took a quick ride on the RR. I dutifully spread out my blanket, put several backpacks all over it, rolled the stroller up next to it, and plopped my down to defend the homefront.

Wouldn't have been so bad, but apparently the train stopped somewhere en route for 20 minutes! That's a lot of extra time kicking people and their little urchins off my property! Well, I tried to MAKE it my property.

Long story short, as always seems to be, we have a turf war. the people next to us suddenly have a bunch more people, OK, but you don't get to stand in front of me- especially on my blanket. It was actually pretty funny as I texted my brother- standing beside me- what we needed to do each time one of them sat on one of our kids. A TURF WAR! it actually put a bit of a damper on the experience, but as always, once the parade starts, things improve.

I don't know why, but I absolutely love this parade, maybe because "sparklies" have always been my thing. I love anything that sparkles, and this parade sure does.

disney dan 1244.JPG

disney dan 1248.JPG

disney dan 1250.JPG

disney dan 1255.JPG

disney dan 1259.JPG

disney dan 1262.JPG

disney dan 1269.JPG

disney dan 1276.JPG

disney dan 1278.JPG

As the parade is finishing, now we have to really hightail it to the Wishes party since we weren't sitting that close to it. It is always my goal to be right there, and after the parade, just pop over, we're there by 20 after and still have plenty of time for desserts before the show.

My brother must have felt a little guilty about being late for the parade and the far away seats because I've never seen him move so fast. We made a little train and he was our fullback, we got through that logjam on Main Street in 4.5 seconds flat.

Woo Hoo Dan!

docdebbi

Original Poster
they always skip the hyphen in my last name, and make it look like the world's longest name.
IMG_2315.JPG

I really didn't care, I was so excited by our table. Guess it pays to be the first guy to book the party. We were at the closest seat to the railing, close enough no one could get between us and the rail so we actually got to sit for the show. HOW NICE!
disney dan 1282.JPG

Ain't no way anyone is sneaking in between us and the railing, had enough turf wars at the parade.

IMG_2317.JPG

First the light show, Memories,Magic and You, I think.
IMG_2326.JPG

then Wishes. Again, LOVE that show. makes me cry everytime, and I've seen it alot!

IMG_2323.JPG

My brother's family has never attended this party before. It was a big hit, and I was quite the hero for booking it. Love it when a plan comes together.

disney dan 1286.JPG

This was the end of the night's plan. although I knew there were EMH after, I had figured that we would be cooked and need to get to bed early. Again, off schedule, the kids wanted to do a couple rides before leaving. Against my better judgment, but excited at the thought, off we went.

Apparently we were punchdrunk by this point. Much silliness ensued, but it was a great time. Don't tell my brother or SIL, but some of the best times were when we cheated on my schedule. This was one of them.

disney dan 1290.JPG

The down side to this cheating, is this..................

disney dan 1320.JPG

disney dan 1321.JPG

long way to carry a sleeping kid, but worth it. Especially since I didn't have to carry her :)

disney dan 1322.JPG

another busy day and busy night drew to an end, and bed was very welcome!

docdebbi

Original Poster
Now, before you go thinking we just have bad taste in clothing, and coincidentally on the same day, Animal Kingdom is "Hawaiin Shirt Day" with me. No matter who I go with, there has to be one super tacky everyone in Hawaiin shirts day. And if you accidentally "forget" yours, don't worry, I always have extras.

So, we begin the next day...........already off schedule.
and where, you may ask, is everyone else for this photopass pic? why dawdling along, not getting moving, being OFF SCHEDULE ! See how happy Kieran is to be in the "good group"?

wdw201329715409973_6873542785.jpg

we did let them into our next picture when they arrived, but I was being lenient. late again, no pictures for you!

wdw201329715414459_6873542742.jpg

first up the safari.
Since it was early morning, decent amount of activity.

disney dan 009.JPG

disney dan 007.JPG

Patty really like the safari, and was happy to pose.
DSCN7932.JPG

disney dan 015.JPG

disney dan 027.JPG

disney dan 036.JPG

even got a decent shot of the lions
disney dan 053.JPG

disney dan 030.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
Bug's life......

disney dan 067.JPG

followed by Lion King. I'm going to miss that show while it is closed.
DSCN7950.JPG

DSCN7960.JPG

disney dan 083.JPG

then time to split while we did dinosaur and someone stayed with Kieran who was too short and more importantly, we didn't want nightmares the rest of the trip!

DSCN7939.JPG

patty went once, but opted out for the second trip, preferring to play on non-moving, non-roaring dinos. and going to the boneyard

DSCN7941.JPG

DSCN7942.JPG

DSCN7946.JPG

DSCN7945.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
first trip included poor little Patty, you can tell she wasn't too happy. Guess that's why she sat out the second trip. Anyone notice I'm the only one not scared? Guess I've done this before, huh?

wdw201329715449729_6873542794.jpg

don't get why the kids were scared again second time through?
short memories maybe?

wdw201329715451759_6875423433.jpg

photopass time. gotta do this shot.
wdw201329715496396_6873542738.jpg

I asked for magic shots occasionally. the kids had no idea what was going to happen, but they're just used to Crazy Aunt Debbie making them do weird things, they don't even ask anymore.

they were quite happy when we got the disk and I showed them why.

wdw201329715496398_6873542740.jpg

wdw201329715581620_6873542788.jpg

my SIL reasonably asked me what folks do who don't know to ask for these since no one ever offered us one. Have to agree with her, they should be offered, you shouldn't have to ask.
But that's why wdwmagic exists, teach us these things.

next up lunch at Anandapur local cafes and then Expedition Everest

docdebbi

Original Poster
first time for most of the guys trying chopsticks

kieran seems to have it figured out, well, at least it's effective

DSCN7964.JPG

but not very filling. forget those chopsticks........i'm still hungry

DSCN7966.JPG

maeve also gave it a whirl....

DSCN7969.JPG

worked just as well, time for a fork..............

DSCN7970.JPG

ha ha Dad can do it

DSCN7971.JPG

after tummies were filled, the girls found the hat shop.

DSCN7972.JPG

then off to Majaraja trails

DSCN7977.JPG

love the fruit bats, just cause it grosses out the little girls.....

DSCN7979.JPG

tiger friend came to visit

DSCN7982.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
time for a little pin trading, even though it's not on the schedule!

DSCN7985.JPG

DSCN7987.JPG

I'll have that one please.....

DSCN7988.JPG

then used FP+ for Finding Nemo. Was a little disappointed. We used to do the Tusker House lunch so that we could get reserved seating for the show. This time I used FP+ thinking that we would have reserved seating and didn't have to get there early. No, all it means is that you are guaranteed to get in, there was no reserved section, we have to scavenge for seats at the last minute. Even though you do get to bypass the long line to get in, don't think I will spend a FP+ on this again as you still need to get there pretty early to get decent seats.
But as always, the show was great, I think possibly the best of all the parks. IMHO.

disney dan 131.JPG

remember, fish are friends, not food....
disney dan 132.JPG

uuggga waagga uuuggga waagga......
disney dan 133.JPG

Go with the flooowwww- my favorite song

disney dan 138.JPG

i love a happy ending

disney dan 140.JPG

Next up, Kali River Rapids
I agree with Maeve, not sure why Daddy tried to make us wear ponchos, that's for wussies.

disney dan 144.JPG

disney dan 145.JPG

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
Kali River Rapids- Dad sat it out, didn't want to get wet, what a old man! (don't care that he's 13 years younger than me chronologically, I'm really much younger, or crazier)
so Dan took Kieran up to the bridge to shoot us with the water guns, while we rode

disney dan 169.JPG

look, we ditched the ponchos when Dad wasn't looking
Maeve got a little wet,
ok, she was the one who got hit the wall of water so she got a LOT wet

disney dan 158.JPG

started shivering immediately, but she was up to do it again
this time they convinced the old man to come along
disney dan 162.JPG

this time there were 2 of them aiming for the family, and unsuspecting bystanders
I think one thorough drenching was enough for Patty

DSCN7990.JPG

ha ha Dad you are going to get WET

disney dan 166.JPG

yeah, not with his old man poncho on, what a baby
DSCN7993.JPG

but at least he wasn't shivering llike Maeve. maybe he's got a point, but he's still an old fogey
DSCN7999.JPG

docdebbi

Original Poster
oh my goodness, how could I have forgotten
on the way to Nemo, we stopped by Expedition Everest and used our FP+ coupled with child swap to get 2 rides in.

my brother and nephew on the first trip

wdw201329715504424_6875484483.jpg

Maeve and I on the first trip
wdw201329715505368_6873542787.jpg

now comes the second trip
nothing scares that kid, only second trip ever and acting all cool, notice above, I still brace like it's somehow going to save me. not Maeve

wdw201329715511691_6873542796.jpg

Now back to where we are.
Or rather should be

See, here's that schedule thing again
My schedule called for us to bring a change of clothes and anyone who was wet would change so we could go straight to the 6:15 hoop de doo

my brother that morning informed me that he wanted to go back to the room to change.

"Oh Dan, I don't think we'll have time, but if you insist, we can skip the parade, rush home, rush the change and get right back on the road, but boy is it going to be tight"
"don't worry we'll make it"
"alright, but promise me you'll hurry" (not his strong suit)

so after Kali, we need to hightail it out of there
"oh, but poor little Maeve is drenched, i'm going to stop and buy her a towel"

wdw201329715581752_6875489514.jpg

"really? every other kid is drenched and they're not getting a towel,
OK but hurry"

"oh, wait, Dottie called, she stopped to buy some musical instruments for the little girls"
"ok, but hurry"

"oh wait, the FP+ for charging is down, I need to run a credit card to her"
"ok, but hurry"

"oh wait, even the charge card system is down, I need to run her cash"
"ok, but hurry"

"oh wait, we need some ice cream"
"not ok, just hurry"

by now, it is almost 5:00 and we are due at Hoop de doo at 6:15 all the way over at Fort Wilderness, and we need to change first!!!

"don't worry we'll make it"
"ok, but hurry"

we see the photopass guy on the way out, they want to stop for photos
"ok, but hurry"

notice the new musical instruments in the shot.....

wdw201329715581752_6875489323.jpg

make your best "be a lion" faces.
"ok, but hurry"

wdw201329715581753_6875490633.jpg

well, we get to the hotel at 5:30, change, actually quickly for them, and are back on the road

we hit Fort Wilderness parking lot at 6:05, but have to wait for a bus

he finally says "hey, maybe we're not going to make it"
"really? really? NOW you think we're not going to make it?"

God is SOOOO on his side, as we literally run from our car to the bus stop, a bus pulls in, running and panting we make the bus and step off it at 6:12

As we literally run from the bus to Pioneer Hall, they are just closing the photos, ok with me, not a big deal

"oh, hold on, let us take your picture"- no lines, no waiting, nothing. how do they pull this off?

by now everyone else is just finishing going in to the building so we walk right in like the King of the World. really- I think I hate them! HOW DO THEY PULL THIS OFF???

then, they walk us right to the front and seat us essentially on the stair up to the stage.

DSCN8018.JPG

REALLY, HOW DO THEY PULL THIS OFF? really, are these the luckiest folks you have ever seen?

no lesson learned by them today! Jeezz

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom