The Beastly Kingdom that Never Was.....

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Interesting article.....

http://www.worldofwalt.com/the-beastly-kingdom-that-never-was.html
The Beastly Kingdom that Never Was

Disney’s Animal Kingdom, which opened in 1998, was intended to celebrate both real and imaginary animal species. Real species, both current and extinct, would be featured in the lands of Africa, Asia, Discovery Island, and DinoLand, USA. The imaginary animals of legends and fairy tales were to live in a separate land known as Beastly Kingdom, or Beastlie Kingdomme.
Designs for Beastly Kingdom were drawn up, and the area even received significant promotion as Disney prepared for the park’s opening. The Disney’s Animal Kingdom logo features a dragon front and center, indicating Disney’s initial commitment to incorporating imaginary creatures into the world. Unfortunately, time and budget constraints eventually led Disney to replace this imagined area with Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Beastly Kingdom was relegated to the world of legend along with the animals it was to celebrate.
Plans for Beastly Kingdom

Disney Imagineers originally planned for Beastly Kingdom to occupy the land that is currently home to Camp Minnie-Mickey. Visitors would cross to Beastly Kingdom from Discovery Island over a bridge guarded by a troll.
Beastly Kingdom was to be divided into a realm celebrating good creatures from myth, and a realm dominated by evil creatures. Dragon’s Tower was to be the looming centerpiece of the evil realm, while Quest of the Unicorn and Fantasia Gardens would be the major features of the good realm.
Dragon’s Tower was to be a thrilling roller coaster located inside the charred shell of a ruined castle. Riders would join a thrilling adventure to seek out the dragon’s treasure, and end up being chased by a furious fire-breather determined to protect his hoard. After working up an appetite on this adventure, guests could grab a bite to eat at the Loch Ness Terrace.
On the good side, Quest of the Unicorn would send visitors on a journey through a maze occupied by mythological creatures. Those who successfully navigated the maze would encounter the Unicorn living at the center. Also in the good realm, Fantasia Gardens was to be a musical boat ride filled with dancing hippos, winged horses, centaurs, and other creatures from the classic animated film “Fantasia”.
Dinosaurs Over Dragons

While original Animal Kingdom plans included lands dedicated to both extinct species and imaginary creatures, Disney Imagineers ultimately were forced to choose between the two. The expense of the many live animal exhibits in Africa and Asia had proved higher than expected, and it was decided that either Dinoland, USA or Beastly Kingdom would become a second phase project and open several years after the grand opening of the park. DinoLand, USA eventually prevailed, and plans for Beastly Kingdom were put on hold.
A Quick Filler

To replace Beasty Kingdom, plans for Camp Minnie-Mickey were quickly drawn up using the plans for Mickey’s Birthdayland, later known as Mickey’s Toon Town (a former area at Magic Kingdom). The only attraction – The Festival of the Lion King – was created using old floats from the Lion King parade, and Disney expected to replace Camp Minnie-Mickey with a more permanent kingdom within a few years.
beastly-kingdom-lion-king.jpg

The Festival Of The Lion King was a quick filler when Beastly Kingdom was cancelled, but it is still one of the most popular shows in all of Disney World.
The first years of Disney’s Animal Kingdom ultimately discouraged Disney from moving ahead with their shelved plans for Beastly Kingdom. Although Disney’s Animal Kingdom performed relatively well for a brand new park, Disney feared that the high cost of creating Beastly Kingdom would not reap benefits. Although surveys prior to the opening of DAK suggested widespread support for Beastly Kingdom, surveys of Disney World visitors in the years following the park’s opening suggested that attendance would not grow enough to justify the expense of its construction.
Mythology Comes to Disney’s Animal Kingdom

While Disney’s Animal Kingdom does not have the strong mythological presence originally envisioned, imaginary creatures eventually came to the theme park with the arrival of Expedition Everest. The Yeti who terrorizes riders on this exciting roller coaster now bears the weight of the entire imaginary animal kingdom on his furry shoulders.

Spikerdink

i had never heard about the attractions that were to make up Beastly. For me, AK is a less than full day park. I do a few attractions (avoid Dino-Land) and am usually back at the hotel to relax. If the plans as discussed had happened, I would spend more time in the park, and my gut feeling is with a second coaster it would have attracted a good amount of others also. I don't know if Avatar is the answer, but AK definitely needs something to add to its 'must do' list

Weather_Lady

Interesting article.....

While Disney’s Animal Kingdom does not have the strong mythological presence originally envisioned, imaginary creatures eventually came to the theme park with the arrival of Expedition Everest. The Yeti who terrorizes riders on this exciting roller coaster now bears the weight of the entire imaginary animal kingdom on his furry shoulders.

...and now the idea of a "guest-terrorizing" Yeti has once again passed into myth! [sigh] ;)

Lucky

Too bad they chose Dinoland over BK.

The article implies FotLK is the only attraction Camp M-M has had. But for at least several years it had a 2nd attraction - an outdoor show called Pocahantas and Her Forest Friends. It was a very nice show for families with young kids.

jlsHouston

fascinating read.. and me too about the what might have been:( , I still LOVE mythical creatures...one of my favorite movies is Willow..

lebeau

Dinosaurs Over Dragons

While original Animal Kingdom plans included lands dedicated to both extinct species and imaginary creatures, Disney Imagineers ultimately were forced to choose between the two. The expense of the many live animal exhibits in Africa and Asia had proved higher than expected, and it was decided that either Dinoland, USA or Beastly Kingdom would become a second phase project and open several years after the grand opening of the park. DinoLand, USA eventually prevailed, and plans for Beastly Kingdom were put on hold.

Bad call.

MagicMike

Dueling Dragons I believe. Correct?

Unless I'm contributing to the Disney urban legend rumor mill, that is correct.

Too bad they chose Dinoland over BK.

I wish we could have seen the park developed to its full original concept incorporating both Beastly Kingdom and a Dinoland built to its full potential. An Animal Kingdom spanning living, extinct, and mythological creatures would have been fantastic to see.

Lucky

I wish we could have seen the park developed to its full original concept incorporating both Beastly Kingdom and a Dinoland built to its full potential. An Animal Kingdom spanning living, extinct, and mythological creatures would have been fantastic to see.
Dinoland probably could have been added later more easily than BK, if you could only build one of them at a time. Once HP became so closely identified with mythical creatures & Uni ran with it, there was no way WDW could go back to BK.

MagicMike

Dinoland probably could have been added later more easily than BK, if you could only build one of them at a time. Once HP became so closely identified with mythical creatures & Uni ran with it, there was no way WDW could go back to BK.

Good point. It would be difficult for Disney to move forward with the addition now even if they wanted to.

Just as DHS was a response to Universal building its original park, could the choice to build Dinoland instead been influenced by the Jurassic Park area in the then soon-to-open Islands of Adventure? Disney wanted to boast having Dinosaurs too?

Side Note - THAT'S WHY THEY SHOULD HAVE BUILT IT ALL!

The Empress Lilly

is there any more room for expansion still?
Plenty, but not easily accessible. The top half of Asia was never really filled in, but it is difficult to reach. Other potential sites would require expensive rerouting or infrastructure work. I'd sooner expect a re-do of Dinoland, especially the eastern half of Chester and Hester.

jbeachboy

Plenty, but not easily accessible. The top half of Asia was never really filled in, but it is difficult to reach. Other potential sites would require expensive rerouting or infrastructure work. I'd sooner expect a re-do of Dinoland, especially the eastern half of Chester and Hester.

that rerouting and infrastructure work wont happen, whats wrong with dinoland by the way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom