The artwork in the Tower of Terror episode from 'Behind the Attraction' on Disney+ was stolen from YouTube creator Art of Engineering

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Can you tell what they said? (Sorry...I'm tired and don't have the energy to read through a ton of comments...)
The person discussing the building copyright issue -- the artist who created the work in question -- is claiming that Disney couldn't claim his work was an infringement of Disney's copyright on the ToT building under provisions of the Architectural Works Copyright Protection Act. More discussion on that is available here

Personally, I don't see it, since his drawing is not so much of the building as it is a representation of how the ride functions inside the building -- something unique to that (those) building(s) and not readily observable from the outside or to the casual observer inside.

But I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on the internetz.

Gringrinngghost

You peeps are bothered by this, meanwhile Olivia Rodrigo can steal whatever she wants to make her music and she is getting to replace Aerosmith? That’s ridiculous!
I can't wait to hear 'Good 4 U' erm I mean 'Misery Business' on Rockin Rollercoaster!

To quote Adam Neely, "Olivia Rodrigo was just wearing her influence on her sleeve maybe a little bit too brightly for some folks"

Gringrinngghost

Without being properly credited (by Disney in this case), your original art can be easily ignored. That's the problem and that's why this is not okay.
There are some messes in Copyright law, where at the end of the Day a company could for instance take the media as its directly owned by them whether it be copyright or trademarks. Looking at the two, I would say that the one used in the special is a derivative work, which are legally fine. Yes there are similarities, but even in the context of the Olivia Rodrigo case. Its a derivative work. All perfectly legal.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I can't wait to hear 'Good 4 U' erm I mean 'Misery Business' on Rockin Rollercoaster!

To quote Adam Neely, "Olivia Rodrigo was just wearing her influence on her sleeve maybe a little bit too brightly for some folks"

When I first heard it, I thought it was a concept rip-off of "You Oughta Know."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One year, Disney (or whoever they contracted the job to) stole some artist's image of the Sanderson Sisters for that year's Halloween merch. Disney immediately pulled the merch when it came to light and it took a few weeks to put out new non-stealy merch.

The funny thing is that Disney owns the Sanderson sisters, so again, we have the chicken and the egg chasing each other.

hismattjesty

Paramore has officially been added to writing credits, and Olivia Rodrigo has given up royalties on the song,

DoleWhipDrea

I imagine it is more likely that someone on the production team passed this off as their own work than a coordinated effort.

Sure, just in general this is how I feel. As an artist myself, when I see someone else do incredible work that inspires me I try to work with them, not just take their ideas and pass them off as my own.

Dunston

Its good art.

Weird for Disney to sell it (not even considering the stolen factor - its weird for them to sell because of what it shows about the ride), but its good art.
That's what I meant by weird shirt. Especially weird of Disney to lift someone's art of a ride schematic for a shirt. Not even a drawing of a character or something.

James Alucobond

I imagine it is more likely that someone on the production team passed this off as their own work than a coordinated effort.
Either that or they ignorantly Googled it, thought it was official, and used it without looking through the archives for the "original". I've seen many instances of companies using Googled versions of their own official artwork that they should have on file with someone else's watermark or unique identifier included.

Figments Friend

One year, Disney (or whoever they contracted the job to) stole some artist's image of the Sanderson Sisters for that year's Halloween merch. Disney immediately pulled the merch when it came to light and it took a few weeks to put out new non-stealy merch.

The funny thing is that Disney owns the Sanderson sisters, so again, we have the chicken and the egg chasing each other.

Yes, I remember when that happened!
The merch photos were circulating and then within a day or two it was all pulled.
A few items were reportedly sold ( shirts, and MagicBands with the design ) and are now collectors items.

Disney has a history of this happening...especially over the last few years with social media becoming so dominant.
A quick image search on any platform turns up many past Company produced designs as well as some fan art efforts that are so well done they can easily be mistaken for the 'real thing'.

One can see how such things happen -
Someone in Disney's art department for Consumer Products is browsing images online and comes across a design that looks like it has potential.
They think it's authentic Disney produced artwork, and 'steal' it to use for something...merch, media, etc.
However, in reality it's actually un-official 'fan art'....and it's used with said persons involved not realizing it is.
Disney has even swiped fan art for use on in-Park signage...assuming it's their own past artwork.

Most recent case of 'fan art theft' I recall is the great 'Humprey the Bear' decibel that happened over at Disney's California Adventure a few years ago.
A fan drew a really authentic looking graphic of Humprey, and next thing he knows Disney has 'stolen' the image and created a merchandise collection with it.
It was used to launch the then freshly redesigned area formally known as Condor Flats.
They also made a sign featuring the fan drawn Humprey graphic that was used in the Park....Disney being so convinced it was pre-exsisting artwork.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom