Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Better ride? Explain.
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal's Islands of Adventure

Transformers: The Ride – 3D at Universal Studios Florida

JT3000

Spider-Man. Better story, better pacing and more intricate practical sets. The only thing Transformers has going for it is higher intensity. Well, that and the fact that the size of the characters actually makes sense, but that's easy to ignore on Spider-Man.

Rob562

While I enjoy Transformers, and it's definitely grown on me over time, I prefer Spiderman for multiple reasons.

-More physical sets/props, many of which interact with or directly expand on the images on the screens.
-More 4D elements. (Fire!)
-The biggest one is that for a first-time rider you can fully grasp what's happening throughout the ride on Spiderman. On Transformers it's just in-your-face ACTION! ACTION! ACTION! ACTION! that can be difficult to follow what's going on. It took me a couple rides to understand everything. And while re-rideability is important for any attraction, it shouldn't be necessary to understand the basic flow of what happened along the way.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

I actually like Transformers more than most theme park fans. I feel it accurately captures being in a Michael Bay movie action sequence. Both attractions are also a masterclass of audio-visual design. However, Spider-Man is still an unquestionably better attraction.

- Cinematic pacing. Spider-Man begins slow and amps up the craziness as you go. In fact, the screens themselves are not used to simulate movement and speed until the final "act" of the ride. Transformers uses the modern Universal design pitfall of being full throttle the entire time.
- Prior to the final act, the screens in Spider-Man are all extensions of the physical set. There are also several stretches of no screens, just physical sets. In Transformers, the physicals sets are little more than dividers between screens. You're only not looking at screens for mere seconds at a time. At least half of the screens are used to simulate moving through environments rather than being an extension of the physical environment.
- Transformers also has several instances of another annoying modern Universal design choice, where you're sitting there watching a fight. It is so much more entertaining and engaging when the action is happening to YOU at all times. Thankfully, Universal seems to have moved away from this after the disaster of F&F.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I actually like Transformers more than most theme park fans. I feel it accurately captures being in a Michael Bay movie action sequence. Both attractions are also a masterclass of audio-visual design. However, Spider-Man is still an unquestionably better attraction.

- Cinematic pacing. Spider-Man begins slow and amps up the craziness as you go. In fact, the screens themselves are not used to simulate movement and speed until the final "act" of the ride. Transformers uses the modern Universal design pitfall of being full throttle the entire time.
- Prior to the final act, the screens in Spider-Man are all extensions of the physical set. There are also several stretches of no screens, just physical sets. In Transformers, the physicals sets are little more than dividers between screens. You're only not looking at screens for mere seconds at a time. At least half of the screens are used to simulate moving through environments rather than being an extension of the physical environment.
- Transformers also has several instances of another annoying modern Universal design choice, where you're sitting there watching a fight. It is so much more entertaining and engaging when the action is happening to YOU at all times. Thankfully, Universal seems to have moved away from this after the disaster of F&F.
You pretty much nailed it.

BubbaisSleep

Spiderman by far.
But I love Transformers too. It serves it's purpose offering a action-packed thrill that most can ride.
If they are using the same ride system though, it would seem like Transformers came out before Spiderman.
Notice people are already brining up a Transformers replacement whereas Spiderman doesn't need an update at all.

champdisney

Spider-Man. To me it’s just overall superior when you stack it up against Transformers.

Perhaps Transformers will shine once the Marvel rights expire. Probably not in my lifetime though.

seascape

Marvel rights for Universal do not expire, they are held in perpetuity
I know the Marvel rights don't expire but with AT&T destroying DC Comics, not the movies, do you think Comcast would be interested in buying DC Comics from AT&T and then buy back the themepark rights from Six Flags?

JoeCamel

I know the Marvel rights don't expire but with AT&T destroying DC Comics, not the movies, do you think Comcast would be interested in buying DC Comics from AT&T and then buy back the themepark rights from Six Flags?
I think Comcast is interested in whatever makes business sense. I could see it as an addition in another park and some movies.

champdisney

Marvel rights for Universal do not expire, they are held in perpetuity
Didn’t know. Thanks for clarifying this to me. Although, I hope this comment of mine doesn’t spiral into another Marvel theme park debate. That wasn’t the intention. As is my opinion on these attractions stand.

alexxargen

I have these type of discussions often about dark rides of this sort and spiderman almost always is top. I like to give an attraction the dumb dad test. If a clueless dad is asked to describe the plot of the ride how well can he explain it. Universal kept it simple and easy to understand on Transformers but Spiderman is the perfect amount of simple. Good guy vs bad guys/girl with a levitation gun. Transformers is almost that simple but prior knowledge of the machines and their skills and all spark makes the ride make more sense. Universal is known to really give you your needed info in the queue and that needs to be simple for those dads lol. As for spider man, the basic plot is repeated on on the computers in the Daily Bugle as headlines. All the effects and screens in the world are cool but if not used in the right way together to make a amazing adventure ( see what I did there ) its just screens and effects. There are definitely some cool new ideas and effects in Transformers but most people chimed in above why the effects in Spiderman make it better than Transformers.

OG Runner

It really is funny. The rides use the same ride system and have very similar stories, yet 100% of the votes have gone for Spiderman.
People just like Spidey and his foes better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It really is funny. The rides use the same ride system and have very similar stories, yet 100% of the votes have gone for Spiderman.
Well, they're both paced very differently. The Transformers for me <explosion!> is way too frenetic <explosion!> and chaotic, and like <explosion!> a Bay movie, the action is nearly <explosion!> impossible to follow <explosion!>.

JT3000

Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid use the same ride system too. Would you say the only difference is the characters used?

Spider-Man & Transformers have very different tones, pacing, set design, integration of the technology, and I don't even see many similarities in their stories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom