The 2010's - A Disneyland Resort Decade In Review!

TP2000

Original Poster
As of 2019, the only Disney Theme Parks that didn't get the Talking Mickey heads (and his friends in general) is Tokyo Disney Resort and Shanghai Disney Resort. It's been used at the other parks for years now.

Yes, but in the early 2010's everyone (including Disney) assumed that these talking heads would be everywhere within a few years and remake the way we interacted with characters. It didn't happen. But they tried, and had a few tests in Disneyland's Toontown meet n greets. Like this one from June, 2010.

But as this decade ends, when you go to Toontown it's the same non-talking Mickey heads they've always had. The "Living Character" thing as I remember people calling it in the early teens never really panned out. It was a 2010's thing that just sort of fizzled into very limited use in stage shows, and only Mickey Mouse.

mickEblu

2015! Now there was a year! The 60th Diamond Celebration wasn't quite as massive as the 50th, but the 60th was classy and upbeat and actually brought quite a few new things to the Resort.

The theme was obviously diamonds, with heavy emphasis on the color blue. Disneyland kicked off the celebration in May, 2015 with a 24 hour party which was so crowded and so messy that they never tried it again.

Crowd-Waiting-Begin-24-Hours-Disney.jpg

But once the dust settled on the kickoff, the 60th party featured a big new night parade called Paint The Night.

maxresdefault.jpg

Plus a new fireworks show called Disneyland Forever! that used lighting and special effects on Main Street and prominent Disneyland facades around the park.

disneyland-forever-fireworks.jpg

There was also a new version of World of Color for the 60th, but the one thing I personally remember the most from that year was the exit music and "outro" after the show that played the official ballad of Disneyland's 60th called "Forever Young". I normally don't get sappy, but this song was really nice, and that clever Walt appearance at the very end from the 1962 World of Color TV episode was simply fantastic!

I thought the 60th was extremely well done and captured what so many of us like about Disneyland. It's classic and classy, but also fresh and modern. The 2010's have been good to Disneyland, and the 60th Celebration mid-decade was a perfect example of that.

Don’t forget Grizzly Peak Airfield! A real gem.

brb1006

Yes, but in the early 2010's everyone (including Disney) assumed that these talking heads would be everywhere within a few years and remake the way we interacted with characters. It didn't happen. But they tried, and had a few tests in Disneyland's Toontown meet n greets. Like this one from June, 2010.

But as this decade ends, when you go to Toontown it's the same non-talking Mickey heads they've always had. The "Living Character" thing as I remember people calling it in the early teens never really panned out. It was a 2010's thing that just sort of fizzled into very limited use in stage shows, and only Mickey Mouse.

I remember before they suddenly discontinued the Talking Mickey Heads at WDW. They were doing a test of having Mickey, Minnie, and Donald interacting with guests at DCA a while ago out of nowhere.

brb1006

Another concept that I liked for both Disneyland and WDW was the idea of "Long Lost Friend Week" as part of Limited Time Magic back in 2013. When both parks were able to bring at Disney Characters that are rarely seen or meetable (It's the opposite at the non-US parks where these characters are very common. Especially at Paris and Tokyo).

Disneyland

WDW

The only thing that bugs me is that the Ludwig Von Drake's costume is just a reskin of Scrooge's old park design. And the Pinocchio characters are considered "Rare" at WDW (they used to be common at WDW).

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Another concept that I liked for both Disneyland and WDW was the idea of "Long Lost Friend Week" as part of Limited Time Magic back in 2013. When both parks were able to bring at Disney Characters that are rarely seen or meetable (It's the opposite at the non-US parks where these characters are very common. Especially at Paris and Tokyo).
This was awesome, I wish they'd keep doing this.

brb1006

Speaking of Rare Characters, I just noticed that Disneyland (and recently WDW) has started to bring in some Disney characters that were previously exclusive to Tokyo Disney Resort and Paris into the parks sometime in the early 2010's. For example, Clarice (from the Chip N Dale cartoon "Two Chips And A Miss") and Marie from The Aristocats made their Disneyland debut at a former dance party at DCA called "Dancing With Disney" which ran from 2013-2014. Say what you will about Dance Parties, but at least we get to see characters that aren't seen that often.

Just recently, the other kittens from The Aristocats (Toulouse and Berlioz) finally made their American debut at a Christmas Dance Party at Tomorowland for this year. Both debuted at Disneyland Paris in 2013 and Tokyo Disneyland then showed up at Shanghai Disney Resort in 2016.

I forgot to mention that Thumper from Bambi has also returned to the American Parks this decade at Disneyland (mainly at the Springtime Roundup for Easter that no longer exists.) Thumper's been absent at Disneyland and WDW since the late 70s (80s if you count the old Easter Parade at WDW). He was even joined by his mate Miss Bunny (the female rabbit that Thumper falls in love with).

The only character from Bambi that hadn't returned is Flower the Skunk who's been MIA since the late 1970s (possibly between 1977 and 1979). Considering that the foreign Disney Parks has been using Disney's lesser-known/obscure characters of the past (most notable being Miss Bianca and Bernard from The Rescuers). I'm surprised Flower hasn't shown up at Disneyland Paris and Tokyo at this point.
AtaR6rF.jpg

If Flower ever returns to the parks, then I hope he gets a more cuter design sticking closer to his original design in the original film.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
And with only 36 hours left in the year and the decade, that brings us to 2019. It was a monumental year, we all knew it would be, and a year that several prior years had all been leading up to. But it turned out wildly different from how we had assumed.

The first half of the year had several newly rethemed and repurposed rides appear in Pixar Pier. Jessie's Critter Carousel replaced King Triton.

latest

And the old Flik's Flyers ride from A Bug's Land was reworked, rethemed and moved over to Pixar Pier onto the old platform that had been used by the Maliboomer from 2001 to 2010. It was christened Disney-Pixar Inside Out: Emotional Whirlwind, which just rolls off the tongue. The excitement at the opening ceremony was palpable. Or something.

Also in the first half of the year Disneyland was undergoing many refurbishments and physical plant upgrades as part of "Project Stardust", a targeted plan to improve traffic flow and crowd control around the park. Because once Star Wars Land opened on May 31st the park was going to be slammed with massive crowds for years to come!

Project Stardust created new walkways, new dining areas, new places to sit or park your stroller, and rebuilt several park icons like the Adventureland marquee, shown here under construction with the big spring crowds that still descended on the park before Star Wars Land opened. ;)

adventureland-sign1.jpg

And beyond the berm the Disneyland Resort was also getting ready for Star Wars Land by rushing to complete the massive new Pixar Pals Parking Structure, adding 6,500 spaces, all new security and tram loading, and a new skybridge across Disney Way.

20190719_125556_wm.jpg

All in anticipation of the biggest expansion in Disneyland's history; Star Wars Land! They planned the opening summer like Normandy, with an elaborate "Reservations Only" system via the Disneyland App and a media marketing push that reminded everyone that reservations were all gone and that Disneyland would be packed to the rafters.

Bob Iger hosted the event and the opening ceremony was star-studded with George Lucas, Luke Skywalker, Harrison Ford flew in, the guy from the Colt 45 Malt Liquor commercials was there, and Chewbacca!

Although, the big Resistance ride didn't work and the Millennium Falcon: Target Run ride was the only attraction in the new land for the opening summer.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35332.jpg

And then Disneyland had one of the slowest summers it's had since the 1984 Olympics when everyone stayed home. The scary marketing message and reservations only thing backfired big time, we noticed it immediately here on the board, and by mid June the local and national media had caught on and were running stories about how empty Disneyland was.

This photo ran in the New York Post in June with a story of how dead and uncrowded Disneyland suddenly was.

empty-disney-454.jpg

Or this photo that ran in Associated Press stories nationwide.

WuydnKVc.jpg

This one from the London Sun, because even Great Britain's media was talking about how empty Disneyland was.

RB-COMPOSITE-DISNEY-2.jpg

Or photos like this that ran on Disney fan websites in the weeks after Star Wars Land opened. No wait! See now!
Star_Wars%2C_Galaxy%27s_Edge_at_WDW.jpg

The Disney Parks Blog responded with their wonderful Ahora! campaign, which did absolutely nothing to increase crowds. The pressure to get the delayed Resistance ride open Ahora! has never been greater.

But even though the park had a very slow summer and everyone seemed to be waiting for the much delayed Resistance ride to open in 2020, Disneyland had been transformed both physically and culturally in 2019.

Star Wars Land may have arrived with an unexpected whimper in 2019, but it will undoubtedly find its footing and its audience in the new decade. It's changed Disneyland forever, that is for certain.

DL_galaxysedge-800x445.jpg

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

The 2010s was a long-awaited return to the parks after a prolonged absence. My parents took me to Disneyland in 97 to celebrate my 7th birthday, to WDW the following year for my father's work conference. The parks ignited something in me that no other Disney media ever had, something that still hasn't changed. I wanted desperately to go back to either of the US resorts, but my father had no desire to go back, and so we didn't return. The internet, however, kept my interest alive, and at one time I was actively reading MiceChat and doing research online to keep up. I looked up the international resorts (I specifically remember doing this in 2002 when WDS was brand new and being promoted, haha!), and thought that it would be cool to get to the international parks someday, but who knew if it would ever happen?

Fast forward to 2010. My college had a 12-week long East Asia program that took us all over Japan and China, and with that came the opportunity to visit Tokyo Disney Resort and Hong Kong Disneyland. These parks, Tokyo especially, really intensified my desire to get back to the US resorts.

I was able to get back to Disneyland in 2013 because I had a friend studying at USC at the time. The memories of the first night are still vivid; I walked the fifteen minutes or so from my hotel to the Esplanade, which was abuzz with people around 9 at night, including CMs leaving in their costumes. Getting in was something of an overwhelming experience; people everywhere, people speaking English at a Disney park seemed jarring after Asia, and being directed by crowd control CMs on to the sidewalk because Magical in process. I remember that one of my first rides back was the Nemo subs, because they had a short wait, and that my last ride of the night was Haunted Mansion. At last, being able to experience my favorite childhood ride for the first time in 15 years! (I had gone to Tokyo in September, and so had ridden HMH there instead). Then, when I was walking back to my hotel, in front of the Anaheim Plaza, I felt something hit my leg. I looked around and heard laughter but saw no one. I couldn't figure out what had happened, but it turned out I had gotten egged! The rest of my visit to the park was fun but a bit jumbled in my memory.

In 2014, my grandparents happened to be staying in Anaheim to watch my grandfather's college teams play and they invited me along. This was over a long weekend in September, and I was able to experience the Halloween overlays, WOC for the first time, and RDCT. I was able to convince my Grandfather to join me for a day at the park, a memory that I will always treasure. While I enjoyed my 2013 visit, this was when I truly fell in love with Disneyland.

My mother decided that she wanted to visit for the 60th in 2015 on the way to my aunt's wedding, and I will never forget the energy and vibe of the park that year. With the Grizzly Peak Airfield newly finished, the diamond celebration swag everywhere, and the combined powerhouses of Forever and PTN, it was truly a special time at the resort. It really felt like anything was possible, the right moves were being made, and I felt such optimism about where the parks were heading. For me, 2015 was Disneyland at its peak.

2017 was a solo trip, and Disneyland was part of a longer Southern California park excursion. As much as I enjoyed seeing MSEP on Main Street and the return of RDCT, both felt like a step backward, as did MB, which I only rode once on this trip, and the new Soarin'. My visit was just weeks before MaxPass launched, but right when FP rules had changed a bit; it had been added to things like HM and the frequency and distribution of FP seemed to have changed, which allowed for several instant FPs on Big Thunder and Mansion, which I loved. The last few days of the trip coincided with D23, and originally I thought about attending; I opted against it because of all I had heard about lines and organization. It was a decision I was happy to have made, because D23 sounded like it was a busy mess and the parks were virtually empty those last few days. The last day, I remember checking the internet for D23 updates, and sharing the Pixar Pier news with a CM, who was just as baffled by it as I was. But the D23 chatter had also clued me in that there was to be a preview that night of the new Fantasmic. I initially thought against it, but it was the last day of my trip, I was tired, and the thought of being among the first to see something new was too tempting. I got a spot two hours early, sat, and watched the show. Say what you will about the new Fantasmic, but seeing the show in that first audience was electrifying; there was so much tangible energy and excitement in the air! Seeing that show at that performance was one of my favorite moments in any Disney theme park ever.

2018, the year of Pixar Fest. I loved the diversity of snack options, but hated most other aspects of the event, which seemed spectacularly tone-deaf (PPP at DL? Pixar ball bunting on Main Street? Pixar Pier? Replacing music loops with Pixar-exclusive tracks? And Together Forever, which even my friend, otherwise drinking the Pixar Fest kool aid, hated). I thought the new-to-me changes to the River and the Railroad were very well done. My friend really enjoyed Mission Breakout, so we ended up doing more than I would have ordinarily, and gradually, begrudgingly, it started to grow on me. We saw the Frozen show, which both of us thought was better than Aladdin! We had the Lobster Nachos at the Kool Kids' Lamplight Lounge, which underwhelmed in every detail (Why did they make this? Does this decor fit with anything? The Lobster Nachos are $20 and mediocre?!?). On the upside, I loved seeing PTN at DCA, finally catching the Cars Land lighting, and being there on the park's birthday. Maxpass made everything easier. In spite of everything I don't love that has happened/is happening, I can't wait to go back.

Favorite CM memories:
1. The CM on Main Street who saw us playing Heads Up (while waiting for PTN) and decided to join us. When it was my turn to give my mother clues, the CM and I both looked at each other and laughed when one of the clues I had to describe turned out to be Disney World!
2. The CM in 2018 who ran after me on Main Street to give me a fork after I bought a cupcake.

If I could ask anything of the parks in the next decade, it would be to allow them to be themselves. Disneyland and the other Disney parks have always had IP, but it was never the focus or main component of the experience; it was always incredible experiences (that may or may not have had IP embedded within them) and great service that were at the forefront. If the prices rise, everything is all IP all the time, and the guest experience declines, then what makes Disney different than Six Flags other than the characters out front?

brb1006

This was awesome, I wish they'd keep doing this.
The "Long Lost Friends Week" idea reminds me of Disneyland Paris' "Disney Dreamers Everywhere"/private event but on a bigger scale. For the event they brought out even more rare/obscure characters and had a special show for some of them. Here's three short clips from that event from 2013.

Edgar also made his park debut at Disneyland Paris in 2018.

They even had a show that recreated The Aristocats featuring Edgar for this year as part of "Disney Love Jazz" event.

Currently the only characters from The Aristocats that have yet to make their park debut is Duchess and Thomas O'Malley. The Scat Cats were once meetable at WDW and Disneyland between the 1970s and early 1980s.

TP2000

Original Poster
Ah, GlowFest! While there have been many imitators that tried oh-so-hard (perhaps trying too hard), none of them ever managed to quite capture the "lighting in a bottle" feel and effect of the original GlowFest, with its weird mix of neon colors, gogo dancers, faux DJs pretending to mix live, glowing drinks, and Bollywood dancers, it all just meshed together in a wonderful mix that just defied all logic. I just happened to be there for its first night (primarily for the World of Color premiere), and intentionally came to its final night of its unexpectedly-extended run (as parts of it were slowly chipped away for Red Car Trolley construction), and far too many nights in between, but there was something about it that just worked. It also signaled the beginning of a shift, that suddenly DLR was a cool place for childless 20-something APers to hang out.

The follow-up to GlowFest, ElecTRONica also marked the first time that attractions in the parks were converted into movie previews. While the sneak peek at TRON: Legacy offered additional footage and in-theater effects not seen during normal trailers, and only ran for a few hours during the evening dance party, it paved the way for nearly every theater attraction in both parks (and even the Big Thunder Ranch during a brief fever-dream for Pirates 4) to be converted away from a unique theme park attraction into nothing more than a simple movie preview. The resort started the decade with 3 big-scale 3D movie attractions, and is ending it with 0.

The winter/spring of 2011 also brought us the Family Fun Weekends, as a means to provide large-scale entertainment while portions of the parade route were blocked off for repaving. The shows changed almost weekly based on holidays like Lunar New Year, Mardi Gras, and Cinco de Mayo, and were decidedly hokey and low-budget (consisting largely of old costumes and props dusted off from the Entertainment warehouses), but captured a certain homespun earnestness that defined the Disney of my youth but hasn't really been seen since this event was retired.
MMFD.jpg

The Family Fun Weekends also laid the groundwork for the Disney Parks bi-coastal Limited Time Magic promotion the following year (including the first 24-hour party in a generation, which would return for several years after), and the seasonal events that take over DCA's Paradise Gardens area (including the popular Viva Navidad! street show). These were all more slick and well-produced, but didn't quite manage to capture the simple charm of the one-off weekends. The current trend of upcharge evening events at DL also seems to have roots in the Family Fun Weekends.

Around 2013 or so, with the ever growing base of APs and the growing social media culture, the parks also became home to a collection of "social clubs" that roamed around in matching denim jackets and vests. I really just don't know what to say about this one, but would be remiss to not include it in our recap of the decade
147693-1413265500130.jpeg

In addition to all the things that did happen this decade, we should also remember the things that didn't. In 2016 Disney announced that they would build a 4th hotel on the surface parking lots north of Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel, after many years of exceptionally high occupancy at absurd rates for their 3 aging hotels. While luxurious, the initial details and marketing artwork seemed exceptionally bland for a Disney hotel.
disneyland-luxury-hotel-art-1-1.jpg

In October 2017, the plan had been revised to take over the western end of DTD, with an elevated structure that overlooked the walkways and retail below. While a more ambitious design, the aesthetics were already becoming dated and it still lacked the whimsy and sense of place that most Disney properties have. And of course, the change in location meant that it was considered a new project by the City of Anaheim, whose Council was firmly against it. Mixed with some bad blood from the union and ill-conceived PR arguments from Disney, they found themselves fighting an uphill battle. By October 2018, those plans had been officially scrapped. Some of the hastily-shuttered facilities in DTD reopened, but that area remains a waste of space in a resort where real estate is at a premium.
10_17_WDI_9901.-900jpg.jpg

It was around this same time that the ill-conceived Eastern Gateway project was announced (after years of parking problems due to the rise in APers arriving with fewer people per vehicle than the resort infrastructure was intended for), rejected by area businesses and the City, and quietly cancelled. Instead of leaning in to the increasingly urban (relatively speaking) fabric and walkability of the Anaheim Resort District, thanks to much of the work done during DLR's initial resort expansion, the design for the new parking structure and transit plaza instead isolated itself from the surrounding area. To connect to the existing businesses along Harbor Blvd, pedestrians were required to take circuitous routes with a lot of backtracking. While the project was ultimately cancelled due to public objection to the lackluster pedestrian bridge aesthetics paired with an unfriendly Council, Disney dodged a bullet by avoiding the lack of connectivity and over-reliance on long walking distances. Instead of the Eastern Gateway, the Pixar Pals garage was hastily added to the existing Mickey & Friends, with a new pedestrian path through DTD but no other meaningful transportation improvements.
disneyland-eastern-gateway-plans.jpg

Speaking of the hotel project and DLR's relationship with the City, we would be remiss to talk about the decade and not mention the meteoric rise and fall of the west coast runDisney events during that period. At the start of the decade, there was only the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend held over Labor Day (first run in 2006), with a 5K and half marathon with about 10,000 finishers. By the middle of the decade, mirroring the nationwide running boom and the see-and-be-seen soCal culture, that had grown to 4 race weekends, each with a 5K, 10K, half marathon, and multi-race challenge, with about 46,000 annual half marathon finishers. Following the nationwide slowdown in running events, California legislative changes (not allowing volunteers to be used by for-profit companies), the planned hotel construction (on the start/finish area site), and strained relationship with the City and the extensive resources and coordination required, all races were put on an indefinite hiatus in late 2017, with seemingly no plan to ever bring them back.
0901ZX_HalfMarathon_0113PM1.jpg

What a fantastic post! Thank you!

I agree that Glow Fest was like capturing magic in a bottle, and the follow up events they had never quite created the same spark and fun that Glow Fest had. Even when the spent what was obviously more time and money creating replacements, it never equaled Glow Fest.

I had also thought of the Disneyland Social Clubs as one of the cultural phenomenons of the 2010's. They were truly bizarre, but fit perfectly in the new Social Media culture of the past decade and personified the AP culture in SoCal. They kind of came out of nowhere in 2011, peaked in 2013, and then slid into oblivion by the late teens. Although I still see a few diehards in their dorky or creepy vests every once in awhile.

But it's nothing like the peak Social Club era of 2011-2015. A few cringe-worthy examples....

49133CE900000578-5376459-image-a-28_1518294715667.jpg
MAINSTREET-USA.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-03-07-at-4.24.39-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-03-07-at-3.40.53-PM.png

1a83e07733b8b1902bdc3ab53ca9541f.png

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
While the Social Clubs of the 2010's were a gritty and tatted up display of questionable taste, another phenomenon came out of nowhere and became it's own giant cultural force in the 2010's. Dapper Day at Disneyland!

Dapper Day
began in 2011, capturing fans via the new Social Media platforms, and was created as a fun way to visit the park all dressed up like the people famous Imagineers such as Herb Ryman or John Hench would paint into their beautiful artist renderings of new rides and lands in the 1950's and 1960's. Those vintage paintings all had people dressed up and looking classy, and while people certainly took better care of their appearance in the 50's and 60's, they could never quite measure up to the class of a Ryman or Hench painting like this...

825df1d84e18858814b5d053946203ba.jpg

Dapper Day at Disneyland expanded from one day a year in 2011 to multiple times per year by the mid 2010's. And God bless all those young people for going all out, going far beyond whatever you might have seen in an old Imagineering sketch from the 50's or 60's.

dd3.jpg

DapperDay3.jpg

dd9.jpg

Around the mid 2010's the Dapper Day concept grew stronger, but also morphed into something called Disney Bounding where you would emulate a favorite character or Disneyland attraction in your outfit while not quite copying it. Clever!

og9gol-b88832348z.120161106232356000gu3jt52i.10.jpg

35c1274ae92e2b3d584d27a7669956c0.jpg

Let's hope the 2020's see more young people like the Dapper Day kids and less of the grungy Social Club aesthetic.

dd1.jpg

Phroobar

While the Social Clubs of the 2010's were a gritty and tatted up display of questionable taste, another phenomenon came out of nowhere and became it's own giant cultural force in the 2010's. Dapper Day at Disneyland!

Dapper Day
began in 2011, capturing fans via the new Social Media platforms, and was created as a fun way to visit the park all dressed up like the people famous Imagineers such as Herb Ryman or John Hench would paint into their beautiful artist renderings of new rides and lands in the 1950's and 1960's. Those vintage paintings all had people dressed up and looking classy, and while people certainly took better care of their appearance in the 50's and 60's, they could never quite measure up to the class of a Ryman or Hench painting like this...

825df1d84e18858814b5d053946203ba.jpg

Dapper Day at Disneyland expanded from one day a year in 2011 to multiple times per year by the mid 2010's. And God bless all those young people for going all out, going far beyond whatever you might have seen in an old Imagineering sketch from the 50's or 60's.

DapperDay3.jpg

Around the mid 2010's the Dapper Day concept grew stronger, but also morphed into something called Disney Bounding where you would emulate a favorite character or Disneyland attraction in your outfit while not quite copying it. Clever!

Let's hope the 2020's see more young people like the Dapper Day kids and less of the grungy Social Club aesthetic.
It's sad that the employee holding the balloons looks grungy compared to the cosplayers he is posing with.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's sad that the employee holding the balloons looks grungy compared to the cosplayers he is posing with.

It's the cut of his shorts and shirt, too baggy and big, with no structure or form to the shirt or its collar. The overall look is shapeless and kind of sloppy.

This photo is from the 1970's when CM's all still wore very tailored and expertly pressed uniforms. Details like tailoring and pressing make a huge difference to the look of the person, even if you just glance at them for a moment.

vintage-c1960s-70s-disneyland-balloon_1_5fa561cf698ffa4f2aa7edad6c00fae5.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom