Trip Report That time I dislocated my kneecap in WDW...

Hi friends :) I’ll get back to that title in a little bit, I’m much better now but that certainly put an unwelcome twist on the trip. My best friend, trying to make me feel better, said I'm lucky-who gets to experience a hurricane and dislocate their kneecap both in Disney within a few months. She does have a point ;)

But first...a couple months ago, right before I went on my November trip, I was already getting bummed because I didn’t know when I’d be going back (I have problems:oops:…). That same day my cousin texted me saying she had a meeting in Orlando January 14th and asked if I wanted to fly down for the weekend and join her at Disney for a couple days. Well, DUH :D
We didn’t really talk about it much in the next few weeks until we saw each other over thanksgiving. My aunt was on board and I wanted my mom to come too but she said no – it’s too much trouble for her to ask off of work. I was bummed but understand the position she is in so didn’t push it – I also had an idea up my sleeve…
I suggested to my dad that we give my mom this trip for Christmas. I talked to her boss about getting the time off, explaining we wanted to surprise her etc and it was no problem. In the meantime, my cousin tells me that her little ones will be coming along, an even better surprise that once my mom found out about, she wouldn't miss this for anything.
SO I tell my mom the trip isn’t happening – made up an excuse about having mandatory things at work I really can’t get out of so my cousin is just going to the meeting and not spending any time at Disney. A relief for my mom so she didn’t have to worry about work. ;)
Christmas morning comes, my mom unwrapped her magicband and she was SO confused and excited when she figured out all our scheming. We let her unwrap gift certificates for the dining plan (something we never do), photopass, our hotel & flights, then the kids magicbands. Until that moment she thought it was just my aunt, cousin and me. She couldn’t believe it! What was even more exciting is that the trip was less than 3 weeks away!
My cousin didn’t tell the kids until New Years and they were just as excited!

So here we are –

Me
Eliska – 6.5
Julian – 4.5
Michelle- my cousin
Phyl- My Mom/Auntie to the kids :)
Bev – My Aunt/Nonna to the kids

We were in Orlando from Friday January 13th – Tuesday January 17th.
My mom and I stayed Friday night at Port Orleans French Quarter
Michelle & Fam stayed at a nearby hotel where her conference was going on
Saturday we all switched to a Cars Suite at Art of Animation

Hope you'll join along! :)

abzoo

Oh my goodness- I cringe just thinking about it! I actually did it the first time a year ago too- I couldn't breathe without it hurting and was on crutches for weeks. That's amazing you were able to go to Disney a week later!! They didn't send me to physical therapy last time, but this time I think i'm going to. Did you go? I don't want it to happen anymore!

The first time (worst time) it happened I had to go to PT but then I dislocated the same knee about a year later (and went back to PT). So PT helps but who knows how much. I went about 7 years without issues and then slipped on someone's spilled drink on a dance floor. I ignored the pain (thanks, alcohol!) and kept dancing and then it was super swollen the next day. The pain didn't last too long though and the brace I have really helps-- so I don't feel like things are going to fall out of place. Ugh I'm cringing again. Hopefully our knees can agree to stop causing us problems (ESPECIALLY AT DISNEY).

amjt660

Hi Samantha
I have not dislocated my knee cap( but I have had 4 operations with 3 of them being full ACL reconstructions
So no matter what I automatically cringed whenever anyone mentions a knee issue or a see a sports highlight on TV that involves an injury
I hope it did not/ does not slow you down and I strongly recommend a visit to a physio therapist
You probably neede a patella brace - my daughter wears one for sports

Following along and enjoying the report
Max

samantha788

Original Poster
I love that Tiana! She is sooo pretty!! Great pics so far!
Thank you!! She is so pretty!

YAY for another trip report!
I thought this too. It was a pleasant surprise!
:) Definitely! They were taking "wildest ride in the wilderness" to a new meaning with how rough it was haha.

Hi Samantha
I have not dislocated my knee cap( but I have had 4 operations with 3 of them being full ACL reconstructions
So no matter what I automatically cringed whenever anyone mentions a knee issue or a see a sports highlight on TV that involves an injury
I hope it did not/ does not slow you down and I strongly recommend a visit to a physio therapist
You probably neede a patella brace - my daughter wears one for sports

Following along and enjoying the report
Max
Thanks! I can't imagine 4 operations:eek:

Awesome Friendship Fair pictures!
Thank you! I just LOVE that show!

Following! Loving your report and photos so far!!
Yay, thank you for reading!:)

samantha788

Original Poster
After MRFF, we had a fastpass for Haunted Mansion so went over there. Julian declared Nonna his ride buddy for the trip and Eliska was mine haha. My mom sat in the doombuggy with us too.

After mansion, the parade was just about to start so we quickly grabbed a spot to watch and my aunt went to get the kids some ice cream.
We ended up where the parade turns from Frontierland to Liberty Square. It was pretty crowded since it was an easy place for everyone to run to once they saw the parade- and we were standing staring into the sun so I didn't have high hopes for the pictures but I was pleasantly surprised when I went to edit them haha.

samantha788

Original Poster
Everyone loved this parade and was very happy when I told them we’d get to see it again Monday in a special spot (we had reservations for the Tony’s Festival of Fantasy dining package):)

I had fastpasses for the mine train but we still had a little time to kill so went to visit Cinderella and Elena. This was the first interaction I’ve had with Elena too and she was so great! Such a fun character, she talked so much with the kids and Julian has a new girlfriend:inlove::inlove:

:D:D

They loved Cinderella too!

Then it was time for the Mine Train!! The kids had been on this two years ago but were very excited to go again. Eliska again was laughing so hard through the whole thing. The picture is so funny – she was LOVING it and laughing, but looks scared to death in this picture.

There's the laughing:D

After the mine train, we hopped on a bus back to Art of Animation! We met up with my cousin, picked up our bags and checked out our cars suite room. I love this area of the resort, the theming is awesome- you really feel like you're there! Like an extension of Cars Land in California Adventure :)
The room was perfect for the 6 of us - plenty of room, plus who doesn't love a traffic cone lamp shade?!;)

We were only in our room for a little bit before we got an uber and headed over to our dinner at Animal Kingdom Lodge! When I suggested Boma, my cousin was on board and I was excited since none of them had been to AKL before! Unfortunately after dinner the kids were wiped (Julian fell asleep in the booth) so we all left after a short walk around the lobby.
Dinner at Boma was awesome too. My sister and I ate here a couple years ago and liked it so I thought it would be fun for this trip too. The food was delicious and there are SO many options. I feel like it's a good value on the dining plan too which is another reason why I selected it - that and getting in a visit to AKL ;)
(I also am awful for no photos of AKL, Boma, our awesome dinner and drinks:oops:)

coachwnh

So so so many pictures, I can't help it

And please don't stop!!!! Love your pictures.

31778009393_bc2894239e_k.jpg

This picture is too funny!

Love the Mine Train pictures. They went from looking terrified to pure joy!

LisaBelle

I can't get enough of the MRFF photos! I haven't seen it in person yet.
:inlove: The photos with the princesses are priceless! I also love the pictures on Mine Train.
Glad you all enjoyed Boma. We went there several years ago and really enjoyed it. I was worried that my parents wouldn't like it, but everyone stepped out of their comfort zone, tried lots of new things and we were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom