That moment that nearly ruined the magic

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
Many of you probably have had that moment that nearly killed the magic.
I have been to DLR tons of times, but our first WDW trip was in 2016. We are not wise in the ways of the WDW force.
When we checked in we really could have used a how to seminar. We had used our DP at the ASMo food court, but the late in shift cashier really didn't care if we use it to the fullest advantage or is we were using it right. Our very first full day we had O'Hanas ADR. The breakfast was good, the Characters awesome. the dancing, parade, and the maracas. All fun, the waitress even told to accidentally drop the maracas in our bag, because our 10yr old loved it way too much.
Here is were the magic almost was broken for the entire trip. Noobs, should almost be blazed on our MB scans the first day to help CM help us navigate the system. We get scanned at the begging of the meal, and the CM even says "hey you have the Cadillac plan" 3 sit down DP. We noticed there was a cycle, so when everyone around us had gotten up we were like ok, they scanned us, we should be ok and left. I did leave an extra bit of $ on the table wanting to tip the CM for great start. I had to use the restroom before we got on the monorail to the MK. I come out of the restroom to find the CM and my wife in heated discussion. The CM sees me and goes "you didn't pay" I not knowing any better told you scanned us, are we not done. "she goes you didn't pay, yet I still come out with a bill for you" I was still confused, responded that we had the Cadillac DP, all be covered. Even left an extra for tip. She goes you need to come back into the restaurant to pay. So, ok, let get this figured out. She leads us back into the dining area, and put us by the dinner buffet area, not being used for b-fast. We stand there for over 15 minutes waiting for her to return. We can see she is waiting her section. we are getting stares from the various tables that are seated near us wondering what this lost family is doing just standing there. The CM finally comes back to us with the bill. and the cash I left on the table. I can see the alcohol drinks and the tip are already on the bill. couple of mermosas and 28 bucks in tip. At this point we are not too happy having her take off and not help us, but we also were not sure what we had done wrong. She tells us we have to add the cash on to the charge for the additional tip. ????, I tried to tell her first day we don't know the process, but instead of taking the time to explain to us, she tells it our fault she is running behind on her tables and takes off again. I cross out the tip mark it to 2 bucks cash. write in the balance for just the drinks. She doesn't come back for another 10 minutes before processing the charge with another MB mickey kiss to the scanner. she gives me the receipt, after I ask for it. Half hour just waiting to cash out, damn nearly ruined the Magic for us. The whole WDW system was new to me, and having a CM make us feel like we were dirt bags for not knowing, made it hard to come back.

The funny part is that day it rained. like a white squall just as we got into the Castle court yard drench finding cover at laugh floor. paying 32 bucks for socks each, didn't even kill it. That CM interaction really, even to this day, leaves me burned. We finally got the explanation eating at Kona that night, best food, CM, even hooked us up with extra water to take to our room. Added$50 on top of her tip she made the Magic happen. The fact it was the first morning the first day, and the whole trip could have been left less magical, that is what this post and thread is about.

What was the most unmagical moment that did or nearly ruined the magic for the trip, and did you get the magic back.

Glasgow

That really stinks but you cant let it ruin your trip. Even though its Disney, its still staffed by actual human beings that make mistakes, get frustrated, have bad days, etc. Try to keep that in mind, even tho it sure can be difficult when you're paying exorbitant amounts of money to hopefully have that "perfect" experience.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
That really stinks but you cant let it ruin your trip. Even though its Disney, its still staffed by actual human beings that make mistakes, get frustrated, have bad days, etc. Try to keep that in mind, even tho it sure can be difficult when you're paying exorbitant amounts of money to hopefully have that "perfect" experience.
It did make for a hard start to our trip. We didn't let that stop us. HEck the first day being a complete rainy day didn't stop us. Had more fun doing as much indoor or covered activities then not being in the rain. Still had fun.

KBLovedDisney

Man that is frustrating. I have said this in another thread (can't remember at the moment), but the Magic that is Disney is run by imperfect human beings, and they have bad days and sometimes decide to not really share a Magical time with you but instead to take their frustrations out on you.

That really sucked though dude. Sorry you didn't have a first great dining experience.

To Be Continued...(I have a moment that nearly ruined the magic, probably a few. I just can't think of any right now. I will return.)

KBLovedDisney

I got one. Happened when I was a kid. We were eating at O'hana and the characters were coming around for us to get their signatures in our nice little books that we always got. Well, my parents were ready to leave but here came Goofy. I really wanted his signature. So, I walked up to him, in the process of handing him my book and pen. He shakes his head No and makes a motion with his hand and arm suggesting that he will walk around the whole room first...

No Goofy signature. Oh and what made it worse? We were leaving Disney right after. Needless to say, I cried a whole lot on the way home..almost ruined...well, it ruined it for the day at least.

21stamps

First- it would be totally awesome if mimosas were included in the dining plan. ;)

Second-
I've never though about this particular situation before.. I wonder how many times this happens at resorts where key cards or rfid bracelets are used.

Patcheslee

I thought we were the only ones to have issues with DDP. Scan, ask for check, wait, get check, fill out, sign.... and then wait for server to come back, finally come back, wait for final reciept, nothing. Ask another CM, told our server would be right with us, wait some more, by now over sitting there like idiots just waiting on a stupid receipt to leave.
They could easily have a small intro card that they send to DDP people about the multiple steps just to pay. Heck everywhere I have been is either pay at cashier, or the server brings bill, sign, and leave. Simple.

jloucks

Well, I mean, from her perspective you did apparently try to steal food. Ignorance has never been an excuse for committing a crime. At least, that is how the saying goes.

That being said, there needs to be training of some kind with fancy tech that is supposed to pay for your stuff. Assuming there is not. There might be somewhere in your magic band documentation.

JohnD

Getting a FP+ for Pirates and having the family take photos in front of me with their flash (which I'm sure they discovered later were crap). No matter, my eyes had flash echo throughout the ride and even had one instance where the person in the seat in front of me turned around to take a photo behind her thereby causing the flash to go off in my face. I tried to yell "No flash" but it didn't do any good. (They spoke another language.) Had to get in the queue again. Fortunately it was later so standby didn't take very long. Grr.

Cosmic Commando

Does anyone else feel weird when CMs in tipped positions go a little too far out of their way to be nice? It's weird to me if they do something that Disney may or may not be OK with, and then get "bribed" for it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Does anyone else feel weird when CMs in tipped positions go a little too far out of their way to be nice? It's weird to me if they do something that Disney may or may not be OK with, and then get "bribed" for it.
I'm sure Disney doesn't mind as long as it doesn't descend into blatant* prostitution -- happy guests spend more.

*and I picked the word "blatant" on purpose

21stamps

Well, I mean, from her perspective you did apparently try to steal food. Ignorance has never been an excuse for committing a crime. At least, that is how the saying goes.

That being said, there needs to be training of some kind with fancy tech that is supposed to pay for your stuff. Assuming there is not. There might be somewhere in your magic band documentation.

But I mean, nothing against the OP, but when in your life have you not had to sign for something? I don't know of any hotel that sends directions beforehand. That's why I'm curious to if this happens relatively often..it very well could.

Cosmic Commando

What are you referring to exactly?
It was a little hard to understand, but it seemed like the one waitress "gave" them a maraca and the server at Kona gave them water to take back to the room. It sounds like it could almost be a guest recovery type situation with the water, but I find it uncomfortable if somebody that you're going to tip later would give you something like the maraca from the dancing-parade-thing. Is sort of like they're stealing and fencing it to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom