That Hat...What is it?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
So...this hat I'm talking about:

297b0ef10297deaf37ced0a0ba77643c.jpg

What is it? History? Seems like they were common? Or no? Just need info...always have been curious about it.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 107043

I remember those Peter Pan hats from when I was kid! They were very popular, but you would never catch me wearing one.

Do they still sell them?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
I haven't the least idea as to whether they are still sold...I'd probably buy one if they were...

Thanks for the prompt replies guys!

TP2000

I haven't the least idea as to whether they are still sold...I'd probably buy one if they were...

They still sell them, but not in pink. They are green now, with a red feather.

They didn't have big feathers like Walt is wearing, which looks like a dyed peacock feather. They added that feather for the TV cameras. The real feathers in the 1960's were much smaller, and the feathers they use today look like turkey feathers dyed bright red. I don't know if they are real turkey feathers or reproductions.

Figments Friend

I am no expert on Disneyland history, but I was under the impression the hats in question were 'Alpine Hats' sold in Fantasyland in the 60s to tie in with the Matterhorn.
I have seen a couple a old photographs from the time period with kids and even adults wearing them, and they have that huge trademark ostrich feather.
The 'Peter Pan' hats I have also seen in photos from the same time period and they always seems to be green and had much smaller wing feathers.
So I always assumed there were two distinct hat types.
I don't think the 'Alpine Hats' were sold for more then a couple of years, if that.
They only seem to show up within a certain time frame of pictures...early 60s from what I have seen so far when I come across old photos online.

Another tidbit..
A friend had a themed get together last year.
He is a huge Disneyland fan and decided to give out some fun retro 'party favors' for the family and friends that attended.
And what were they..?
Authentic recreations of these Alpine Hats, complete with the huge ostrich feather.
I noticed them right away and they reminded me of the ones I had seen Walt wear and the ones in those old 60s photos.
Take it for what it's worth...if anything.....

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom