Trip Report That Guy's Report 8-1 to 8-9 2014

That guy... (A continuation of my Pre Trip report for "Pretrip to the Beach Club"

Flights down to MCO were uneventful and got it 20 minutes early, to have a open gate available and our car service waiting. I love Magic Express but I just want my bags and to get to the property. Arrival at Beach club was nice, were staying on the club level and we were greeted and immediately taken to the 5th floor. Our room wasn't done, no big deal as we were not expecting a room till 3 or 4 due to the insane volume of people

Going into the Stone Harbor Club sipping a cold beer and my wife drinking strawberry champaign we were grabbing a snack and going over our itineraries when things started to unravel. We were told the club was being closed due to renovations and they were converting another room into a temp area for club guest? Renovations in peak season- okay, not my area of expertise but I'd think off season is better.

Friday afternnonwas spent with my wife and I at Epcot with dinner in Canada- great meal and some great
wines were had and it was a nice way to start our vacation!

I don't want to be "that guy" but I will for a few minutes and then get on with the trip report in a positive light. Beach Club is tired- compared to Wilderness Lodge or AKL it's tired and I'll just call it out- I am going to stop bouncing around resorts and just move into Wilderness Lodge... The staff however make up for the rooms lack of updates and the hotels general odd layout. We requested a room with a daybed, called a week before, 3 days before, 2 days before and on day of arrival were given a room w/o a day bed. When we let the staff know, they said they'd try to fix it in a few days? "That Guy" in me came out and I told them we'd work with them but were not unpacking, packing and playing move around to get this right.Had I known (been told in direct terms that this was such an issue) I would have just gotten a room with bunk beds and been done-. In the end we compromised and moved rooms after one night. It's a pain in the @ss but were settled in now. The fast pass system crashed on Saturday, Aug 2nd and there was no way to change, modify or basically do or use the mobile app. It was pretty ugly all around for everyone at disney both guest and staff. Technology dependency is a double edged sword... Mine Ride was down due to (rumors) an injury. Splash Mountain was down and our beloved Future World TTA ride was down. Crowds in Magic Kingdom were high. Lunch at Liberty Tree was excellent. Having been to Disney 15 times and never having been there it was refreshing and the staff was awesome. AWESOME. Being kidless for the first part of this trip we came back to hotel to get our new room, settle in and then headed to epcot for dinner that was incredible.Rose and Crown- We settled in for a few drinks at a table right in front of the rose and crown about an hour before dinner RSVP. Sitting there just "watching people" was incredible. Laughing and talking we hung out and saw some funny stuff. Dinner was nice as we had a quiet corner inside and as we finished Kaitlyn our server noticed the Anniversary button on my camera strap. She then took us to a lone outside table to watch illuminations. Incredible!

This was shot walking back to Beach Club last night. The heat lightning was a show unto itself!
large.jpg
More to come later. Again, didn't want to start out the trip report as "that guy" but it's just what it is.

Couple things I noticed after being gone 18 months-
Park staff is more perky and engaged (happy and helpful)
Wait Staff at restaurants are in top form!
Hotel Staff seem challenged and frustrated with "back end" issues. The manager that finally fixed the room issues, you could read her face on her extreme frustration with the reservations systems and how request are handled. Yeah- it's all good!

Sands611

Original Poster
Packing... Flying out today and going home. Resort regret and great memories. Laughs and some not so pleasant moments.
The highs-
Keys to the kingdom for my wife and oldest daughter. My oldest is doing the CP (College Program) next semester and the conversations, information and insight she gained form talking to cast members was invaluable. For us as parents, hearing form other Disney members the do and don'ts of coming here to work eased our minds of our kids moving 1279 miles away and learning to fly.

Dinner at Le Cellier (Spelling) at Canada. Sincerely the finest meal/service and experience I have ever had. Our server, and the folks around us were just plain awesome. It isn't about things in life it's about "experiences" and that dinner was an experience!

Swimming in the rain with my kids at the lazy river. Laughing, and being pelted by liquid sunshine and just embracing the moment.

NO tour groups from whatever South American country terrorizing us and ruining everything they come in contact with (sorry, My trip report, my opinion)

Going by France (lost count of how many) and having a pour of Moet each time because I can! France is my favorite of the countries in Epcot followed close by UK.

Snapping some terrific photos. Truly had a good week of shooting while here. Could not be happier with some of the photos and even better getting critiqued by one of Disney's event photographers. Talking tech and shop is fun to me.

MyDisney Experience. We had a great time/use experience with the app and tools available to do FP and other stuff online, on the fly. It's not perfect but in time it's going to be even better. Embrace it- or you'll be miserable!

The morning/afternoon staff at the club level lounge at Beach Club. Attentive and just good decent folks!

The lows-
The evening staff at the club lounge at Beach Club. Arrogant, aloof and barley approachable. You're working here and treat folks like were in your way? Relax and smile you uptight peeps. I have a feeling they are under extreme pressure from management as you can see ALL OF THEM hate their jobs... it's weird! One of them even told me what she's paid and how they treat her badly? I don't need to hear this...

Our bed, has a crater of a low spot the size of the grand canyon. I miss my bed at home.

The Beach Club (in general). I mentioned "resort regret". My youngest heard the "boardwalk" had corn dogs so we went in search of. I was blown away at the store, the area and the overall "NICENESS" (is that a word? well I am using it, niceness) of the property in general. I wish I could re-do this trip and NOT have listened to my brother in law on the beach/yacht club is the best. Ughhhhhhh never again! I'll do Boardwalk having now seen it and or go to Wilderness Lodge.

Theres more but for now I have to pack and go get some coffee...

FlaggNL

Wow what a great report and what a marvelous pictures!!! For us it's less than 10 weeks now before we fly to Orlando to be in WDW!! Thanks for the sharing!!

DisSplash

Once again, phenomenal photography! It was like scrolling through a series of postcards. Glad you had a great time your family, and I am a bit jealous of your daughter in getting to work the Disney College Program! I am way to old, way past college, and way busy with an existing job and two kids to try out what looks to be a great opportunity to work and meet all kinds of people at Disney World! I hope she enjoys it! Since she went along to MK as your apprentice photographer and did a fine job taking a photo of the castle, do you plan to set her up with a nice 'starter' camera for that trip? I imagine she'll get to spend a lot of time off in the parks ....

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your resort choice, We have never stayed at the Yacht Club, but I have heard others make the same comments you did about it. Once of these days (trips) I'd love to stay at an Epcot resort (the thought of being able to walk right over there is very appealing to me). Looks like I should be leaning toward the Boardwalk if I do ...

mrdrift

Thank you for sharing your great family vacations with us. Once again the pictures are very spectacular and beyond words that can be said about them. Thanks for the insight of the Beach Club, that is were my wife want to stay on our next trip. Maybe I can convince her of the Boardwalk. Have safe trip home.

mickeysshoes

The pictures were AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing. Congrats to your DD on the CP. My oldest did 8 months in 2012 and love it. Loved it and missed it so much she move to Florida after getting a part time job back in 5/2013. She is now a FULL TIME cast member and is flying solo (with NO $$$ help from mom and dad). Good luck to her and you guys dealing with her being so far away. :)

Sands611

Original Poster
The pictures were AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing. Congrats to your DD on the CP. My oldest did 8 months in 2012 and love it. Loved it and missed it so much she move to Florida after getting a part time job back in 5/2013. She is now a FULL TIME cast member and is flying solo (with NO $$$ help from mom and dad). Good luck to her and you guys dealing with her being so far away. :)
that is good to hear... solo, no $ help... I can retire? Holy Heck! :)

mickeysshoes

that is good to hear... solo, no $ help... I can retire? Holy Heck! :)

She has made more life long friends while in CP than she did in the 2.5 years she was in college. Yes, she quite college to move down and work for Disney but she was just wasting money. And just in the last couple of weeks she is talking about going back. I think that might have something to do with her wanting to get into the management program with Disney (or something like that...not sure what exactly it is). But when she quite I knew in time she would go back. Retire??? Nope now you will have to plan more trips back to the WORLD to see your daughter. HAHA :cool:

Sands611

Original Poster
Trip update. We bailed on the DME form hotel to MCO airport. It was absolute chaos. There was a family with little ones screaming and when I say screaming i am not exaggerating. So, we spent 65 bucks and took a van to the airport. #peaceandquiet

Allym146

Looove the firework photos! The colors are stunning. Glad you had a good trip overall, sorry about the resort regret:( Live and learn!

SharonD

Enjoyed your photos. Also understand resort regret. We like the BC Villas, but stayed in a club level room the last trip and weren't impressed. The club was small, crowded, and overall didn't seem that clean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom