Thankyou to the US goverment- "I am going to Disney World"

capecodhome

I am hoping with the extra tax money the goverment is giving to us to put back in the economy, I will put money down for a vacation in 2009 :sohappy:.

Lucky

It is incorrect that the so-called tax rebates are an advance on your 2008 tax refunds (or that they would be added to your tax bill if you don't get a refund). They're not really linked to taxes at all; in fact the more you pay in taxes the less likely you are to get much if anything from this "rebate."

Before going out and spending the money now, I suggest checking the details of the plan to get a better sense of what you're likely to get and when. And at this point it's just a plan, not approved legislation. It's a deal between the House of Representatives and the White House, that the Senate could demand changes to.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
for everyone using this money (if & when approved) be careful. all it is, is a early rebate of your money you would get back at the end of the year. so if you expect to get that big check at the end of the year to pay for xmas gifts it wont be there. happened to me a few years ago when we got the 600 back during the summer....just a heads up incase someone did not know that

No it's not. This is different than 2001ish when there was an "advance rebate". This has specifically declared non-taxable by the US gov(states have not specified but its doubtful that they will)

Just to confirm TT's point. The 2001 rebate was simply an advance refund of what are typically overpaid withholdings. The actual tax rates and tables were unchanged, so your total tax liability for the year was the same as it would have been without the rebate...as such, you owed $600 more at the end of the year or got back $600 less than you would have otherwise.

The stimulus package kicking around Washington now actually reduces everybody's tax bill for the year by the amount of the "rebate" check that will be sent.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

For those who wait in baited breath for their tax refund from the government every spring, the objective should be to not even get a refund. If you adjust your witholding from your paycheck correctly, you will get this money during the course of the year as extra income in your pay. Do not give the govt an interest free loan.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

For those who wait in baited breath for their tax refund from the government every spring, the objective should be to not even get a refund. If you adjust your witholding from your paycheck correctly, you will get this money during the course of the year as extra income in your pay. Do not give the govt an interest free loan.

Honey? Is that you? :lookaroun

:lol:

You sound exactly like my DH...... whenever he hears someone bragging about their 10K tax refund, he cringes... :brick:

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

The 2001 rebate was simply an advance refund of what are typically overpaid withholdings. The actual tax rates and tables were unchanged, so your total tax liability for the year was the same as it would have been without the rebate...as such, you owed $600 more at the end of the year or got back $600 less than you would have otherwise.

Sorry - but you are completely wrong. There WAS a change in the tax tables in 2001 - the 15% bracket was lowered to 10% - and presuming an individual made enough to hit that bracket, their tax liability was reduced as well. This is what the 2001 rebate addressed - essentially the rebate was refunding that extra 5% to you.

Mechanics for the 2008 rebate are similiar.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

Sorry - but you are completely wrong. There WAS a change in the tax tables in 2001 - the 15% bracket was lowered to 10% - and presuming an individual made enough to hit that bracket, their tax liability was reduced as well. This is what the 2001 rebate addressed - essentially the rebate was refunding that extra 5% to you.

You may be right about the 2001 rebate but this rebate is much different. As mentioned before, it is not taxable and it will not be deducted from your tax refund for next year.

This bill will also not change the tax tables at all.

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

You may be right about the 2001 rebate but this rebate is much different. As mentioned before, it is not taxable and it will not be deducted from your tax refund for next year.

The plan to fund the agreement between Bush and the House is to drop the 10% bracket for 2008, with a few exclusions. I haven't had time to read the full bill text, so I don't know if both the rebate and tax cut are covered in a single bill, or if a second bill needs to be introduced to cover the tax cut. But that is the plan.

Of course, what actually gets hammered out in agreement with the Senate could change that exact plan somewhat.

But there absolutely will be a tax cut somewhere to cover the rebate. It's just a matter of where, and how much.

UPDATE: Full text of the bill is available at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:1:./temp/~c110knexW7:e473:

If my read of it is correct, the bill includes language to treat the rebate as a "credit" paid towards each qualifying individuals tax liability for 2008 as opposed to passing a tax rate cut. So that means if you earn a, and according to the tax tables that means you owe b, and your rebate is c, next year when you fill out your taxes the tax owed will be b-c instead of b.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

The plan to fund the agreement between Bush and the House is to drop the 10% bracket for 2008, with a few exclusions. I haven't had time to read the full bill text, so I don't know if both the rebate and tax cut are covered in a single bill, or if a second bill needs to be introduced to cover the tax cut. But that is the plan.

Of course, what actually gets hammered out in agreement with the Senate could change that exact plan somewhat.

But there absolutely will be a tax cut somewhere to cover the rebate. It's just a matter of where, and how much.

UPDATE: Full text of the bill is available at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:1:./temp/~c110knexW7:e473:

If my read of it is correct, the bill includes language to treat the rebate as a "credit" paid towards each qualifying individuals tax liability for 2008 as opposed to passing a tax rate cut. So that means if you earn a, and according to the tax tables that means you owe b, and your rebate is c, next year when you fill out your taxes the tax owed will be b-c instead of b.

I think you have the wrong bill...

I can't tell for sure because your link doesn't work....but the bill that just passed through the house is http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.05140:

As I said before, there is no income tax changes in this bill(republicans wanted to add a clause to make the bush tax cuts permanent but this needed to be dropped to reach an accord with Democrats)

Also, this rebate will not be need to be repaid come next year(or count against your refund next year.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Honey? Is that you? :lookaroun

:lol:

You sound exactly like my DH...... whenever he hears someone bragging about their 10K tax refund, he cringes... :brick:

Sounds like many of my friends... They always seem to either get big tax refunds, or owe lots of money come tax time while my taxes have always been pretty close to being even (though I don't own a house or have any big deductions or itemizations).
I usually got a small federal refund and then owed a little to the state, giving a net refund of $100 or less. This year though, I think I over-estimated taxes on a radio-station prize and paid too much, so I'll be getting a larger-than normal refund. (Some of which is going toward Disney, seeing as how the REST of the prize money already went there...) ;)

-Rob

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just to confirm TT's point. The 2001 rebate was simply an advance refund of what are typically overpaid withholdings. The actual tax rates and tables were unchanged, so your total tax liability for the year was the same as it would have been without the rebate...as such, you owed $600 more at the end of the year or got back $600 less than you would have otherwise.

The stimulus package kicking around Washington now actually reduces everybody's tax bill for the year by the amount of the "rebate" check that will be sent.

Wow! I am not often thorough enough to be COMPLETELY wrong about anything. Nonetheless, I am now confused enough that I have to say I don't know how it'll work this time around, so ignore my earlier comments.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

Wow! I am not often thorough enough to be COMPLETELY wrong about anything. Nonetheless, I am now confused enough that I have to say I don't know how it'll work this time around, so ignore my earlier comments.

Read my previous post with the actual bill text. There is no mention of a change of income taxes nor does it say this is an advanced refund of next years taxes.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

I wish I could receive a check...i make just barely above the salary cut off..sucks...middle class gets screwed again.

If you don't mind me asking, how much over? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the cutoff is not a hard cutoff. If you make a buck over you will still get most of the refund.

In fact, you will still get SOMETHING until you make $87,000. Then it becomes nothing. Obviously, this is different if you are married.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Read my previous post with the actual bill text. There is no mention of a change of income taxes nor does it say this is an advanced refund of next years taxes.

Just because they haven't said that the money is an advance for next year's tax refund doesn't mean that it isn't. They haven't said that it is and they haven't said that it isn't. At least everything I've read has not stated this. Convenient, for sure. I don't trust the IRS or the government. I'll just take the check with the understanding that it is and go from there. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. That's all anyone can do.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom