Thanksgiving?

DojoGrant

Hey all!

New to the boards, but I'm already hooked. :)

I'm making my first trip to Disney World in about thirteen years. I'll be a sophomore in college, and my last trip was when I was in kindergarten. Much has changed, including the additions of MGM and Animal Kingdom, as well as a slew of new and updated attractions.

I'll be going over Thanksgiving week (Sunday - Thursday in the parks) of this year (2002). I'm trying to figure out what rides will be there and what won't. I've already seen discrepencies between this site and the official guidebook, but I realize this site is more up to date than that book. I know that the Lion King show in Fantasy Land is down for replacement, and shows like Doug are gone. I also saw that Backstage Pass is gone, but I don't know if this is permanent.

Can someone provide me with a list of what rides might be scheduled to be down for repair or simply not there any more during the Thanksgiving week? Is it likely that this Space Mountain downtime will be there? Just looking for a list to help me plan. :)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
thanksgiving..

all I can say is have fun, get used to long lines, and drink 1 cup of coffee for every 2 ounces of turkey you eat.

Upvote 0

DojoGrant

Original Poster
Heh, we're having Thanksgiving dinner at the Coral Reef Restaurant. ;)

I just found out that Early Entry no longer exist!! We had been counting on that. :( :( The guide books list Thanksgiving week as moderate lines, nothing like summer, but still more than the complete off seasons.

Still looking for a list of rides that have closed down, say, since the end of 2001 to present time, and those that will likely be down by/on Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
seriously, if I come across a list of attractions between now and then, I'll be sure to post it.

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Tiggerman, I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. I have been to WDW every Thanksgiving week since '85 and it IS NOT crowded at all that week. In fact its pretty empty. I actually have some video from last year in MK on the day after Thanksgiving, and it was practically deserted. My new wife:) and I were walking into Tomorrowland and all of the sudden she was like,"Where is everyone?" Then I looked around and realized we were 2 of like 30 people TOTAL headed into Tomorowland. It was ridiculous!

Granted this is only one example, but I assure you, DojoGrant, its a great week to go, and it isnt crowded at all.

And BTW, welcome to the boards!

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by Main Street USA
Tiggerman, I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. I have been to WDW every Thanksgiving week since '85 and it IS NOT crowded at all that week.

And BTW, welcome to the boards!

ok.. I was wrong..

let me bend over and hand you the steel toed boot...

OWWW! Mother Scratcher!!!

oh yeah... welcome, welcome, welcome.. to the ONLY disney site out there with huevos.

Upvote 0

DojoGrant

Original Poster
Great news! Hopefully that will make up for the lack of early entry, since we are staying on site (Caribbean Beach resort).

Did you find that you had plenty of time to see a whole park in one day during this Thanksgiving week? We have five days, and four parks, and I truly want to see it all. Will we be able to do a park a day, and then just do whatever on the fifth day, or is that wishful thinking? ;)

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Well, I'm gonna have to say wishful thinking there. There is way too much to do to see 1 park in 1 day, even with no lines at all.

OK, well, Animal Kingdom is a possibility, but even there, it is only a lack of "rides" not necessarily a lack of things to do. But, overall, you SHOULD be able to do the things you really don't want to miss. Just make sure to do those things first and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

hellokitty1

main street??

Hey what are you comparing crowds with ? this will be my first time over thanksgiving and i was worried it would be crowded, too. how much wait time did you have?
thanks for all your great info on all the posts!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyHog6

First off, welcome to the boards DojoGrant. I hope you like it here. I've never been during Thanksgiving week, but I hear it's not too bad. I'll be down there the week after Thanksgiving this year, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with seeing everything in WDW in 5 days. I've been to WDW 16 times, and there is still plenty I have yet to see or do, so just go and have a great time.:D

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Well, I've been during Christmas and during the summer once or twice. I compare it to those times. I call those REAL crowded. In fact the reason we choose Thanksgiving to go every year is because the crowds aren't bad, AND the weather is just about perfect. In the mornings its a little chilly on the ferry over to the kingdom, and in the middle of the day the sun feels nice. Kind of a nice balance.

Upvote 0

kaos

Originally posted by DojoGrant
Heh, we're having Thanksgiving dinner at the Coral Reef Restaurant. ;)

The guide books list Thanksgiving week as moderate lines, nothing like summer, but still more than the complete off seasons.

I was there for a week Thanksgiving 2000. I was also there New Years Eve 1999-2000. I have also been to WDW many times in the summer and Christmas. Here's the deal with the lines. Before Fastpass, the lines were shorter on some of the attractions because, well, you couldn't get a fastpass and then go on to something else. HOWEVER, since fastpass was introduced, there have been some additions, like Aladin's Carpet and Dino-World (don't laugh, the line for Aladin was over 90 minutes when I was there in October), so the wait times aren't that incredibly inflated. I would consider the end of May and the beginning of June down times at WDW, when attendance isn't really all that high (for the summer), and again in October when I was there. Compared to the crowds and wait times that there were when I was there over Thanksgiving, it wasn't at all that horrible. There is a ton to do there beyond the 4 gates that keep peoples interest. If you are going there for the first time in a long time, definately do a little planning, make sure you do the newest attractions early in the morning, like Winnie the Pooh, realize that Peter Pan will always have ahuge wait, and that although the line for Space Mountain looks long, it's only because they let a few people into the building at a time. There's been a ton of changes, even in the last 5 years, so there will be a lot of new and exciting things to check out. But, all in all, you'll have a blast.

As for dinner on Thanksgiving, the Coral Reef is a great choice. I've eaten there a few times. When we had our thanksgiving feast, we choose an all you care to eat family style meal at O'Hana's in the Polynesian. That was probably one of the most exciting and entertaining Thanksgivings that my family has ever had. And, if they hae the peppercorn crusted tuna on the menu at Coral Reef, it is the best prepared meal that I have ever tasted.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom