Thanksgiving Weekend Photo Update

xfkirsten

Great update! You're a brave soul, visiting Thanksgiving weekend...

Were the carolers actually singing CAROLS and not rock songs this time? :p

Love the Drawn to the Magic pics - the theme from that show is so catchy!

DCA Fan

Original Poster
xfkirsten said:
Great update! You're a brave soul, visiting Thanksgiving weekend...

Were the carolers actually singing CAROLS and not rock songs this time? :p

Love the Drawn to the Magic pics - the theme from that show is so catchy!
Haha thankfully yes, real carols. Forgot to check if Tomorrowland still has DJs with iPods. Usually try to stay away from there...seeing people who claim to be DJs using an iPod tends to make me violent :p

And dear lord yes, Drawn to the Magic is far too catchy. I really need to find a good audio recording of it.

xfkirsten

DCA Fan said:
And dear lord yes, Drawn to the Magic is far too catchy. I really need to find a good audio recording of it.

I've been looking for one, too. I know VF has a video, but I'm looking for one that's specifically geared for the highest-quality audio they can get.

TP2000

Great pics. I don't want to start a war, I really don't, but these pics of the Disneyland decorations reminded me of something I noticed in all of the other WDW photo updates lately. And that is the difference in Christmas decorations between Disneyland and WDW.

The WDW decorations look so.... cheap. They just kind of look plasticky and generic compared to Disneyland's very lush looking stuff. I know they probably create all of this stuff on-site at each location, but the overall look between Anaheim and Orlando is very different. Like the WDW stuff came from Wal-Mart and KMart while the Disneyland stuff came from Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that?

Is there some reason I may be overlooking for that disparity between the types of decorations on each coast?

I'm really very curious, as the difference is quite noticeable, particularly at the two magic kingdom style parks. :confused:

DCA Fan

Original Poster
TP2000 said:
Jim Hill just did a photo essay on some WDW Christmas trees. It only strengthened my belief that the decorations at WDW are cheap and low-rent looking, like something from a 1970's shopping center in a not-nice part of town.

The Christmas photo essay of WDW decorations is here.. http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1762
It is probably because the holiday decoration department at WDW is overworked and understaffed, after all, they have to prepare quality decorations for FIVE parks, while at DL the staff only has to decorate TWO parks.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ya'll really have a napoleon complex don't ya?

WDW's trees aren't cheap - and we can put one next to the castle without dwarfing it.

The AK one is particularly nice. Plus all the resort trees are very grand and eloquent. The only tree that looks tackey is in MGM and that's because it's fitting the theme of the park. All those horrid plastic decorations and giant santa faces came into existence during the period the park is themed around the hollywood heyday.

TP2000

mousermerf said:
Ya'll really have a napoleon complex don't ya?

WDW's trees aren't cheap - and we can put one next to the castle without dwarfing it.

The AK one is particularly nice. Plus all the resort trees are very grand and eloquent. The only tree that looks tackey is in MGM and that's because it's fitting the theme of the park. All those horrid plastic decorations and giant santa faces came into existence during the period the park is themed around the hollywood heyday.

It's not really the size I'm talking about, as the scale of these things is hard to judge from pictures anyway. It's mainly the quality of the decorations, the style with which they are displayed, and the materials they use overall. WDW just looks cheap and unsophisticated.

Although what doesn't help with the low-rent look is the fact that the WDW "trees" aren't really trees at all. They're lots of tree branches artificially attached to a metal frame in the shape of a cone. They are perfectly conical in shape, I'll give them that, but they are clearly fake.

But it's really the decorations themselves that look so cheap. And it's not just the trees. The garlands and wreaths I've seen around WDW also use the same, sparse, plastic decorations. They just aren't.... elegant. And a Disney Christmas done right is always so elegant.

At Disneyland the decorations use real silk ribbons and bows. Wreaths in Frontierland are decorated with real cinnamon sticks bought at a food store, with western rope and gingham tying it all up. Pinecones and real dried berries are used in Critter Country. Main Street has real metal decorations tied to each garland, as if a shopkeeper used 100 year old decorations to create them. New Orleans Square uses real feathers and Mardi Gras beads, like something from a Vegas showgirls expensive head dress, to decorate the garlands and wreaths there. LaughingPlace has a nice pictorial update of the "Reindeer Round-Up" area in Disneyland's Frontierland this year. Go and check out the pics, particularly the up close pics of the wreaths and garlands and detail work, to see what I'm talking about. Here's the link... http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-154-1.asp It's just one example out of an entire Resort that clearly spends a big bundle on Christmas decorations, unlike WDW.

It's the lack of real, theme specific materials that WDW is lacking. Most of it is generic, plastic "CHRISTMAS DECORATION" like you'd buy at KMart or an old dime store that was going out of business. There's just so little style and such a lack of sophistication in all of these decorations at WDW, as if a little old lady in a nursing home who hasn't been outside in 20 years were in charge of the decorations. It really is like something from a 1970's shopping mall. A very odd timewarp, but not in a good way.

Only the tree at Animal Kingdom begins to show a little class and elegance. But they still stick to that sparsely decorated, barely thought out style of decorating.

It's just weird that the Christmas decorations can be so radically different between two Disney properties in America, that's all I'm saying. It's just weird.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom