Pre-Trip Thanksgiving/Birthday 2017 (Somewhat Live)

I'm finally going back!!! I haven't been to Disney World since 2008, and I have missed it so much. Growing up, my family would go every few years, but that stopped once I started college (my younger sister and I never had matching spring breaks again). This is my first Pre-Trip Report (or Trip Report in general), so I'm asking for both patience and suggestions.

Who: There will be at least three of us on the trip. Me (Liz), my best friend (Katie), and her boyfriend Josh. While I am the third part of that relationship (literally, both of them have told me this on different occasions), we've put the word out among our friends and siblings that the invitation is there if they want to join us. I'd love it if my little sister could join us, especially since we live in different states now, and I can't really imagine a trip to Disney without her.

Where: Because we're young adults who haven't struck it rich quite yet, we're probably staying in Pop Century, or possibly Caribbean Beach Resort (if there are 5 of us).

When: Late November 2017 (We formerly considered September).

How: I recently managed to talk Katie into flying, instead of a 17 hour, nonstop road trip. I recently drove to Texas with my sister to move her to her new home, and I am looking forward to never driving 20 hours again (will that probably happen again? Yes, but I don't want it to be anytime in the near future). [Edit- she just told me that she and Josh were trying to figure out how to talk me into flying; lesson learned, nobody wants to drive from Ohio to Florida]

What: Day 1: Traveling/swimming/exploring Disney Springs/dinner at a restaurant (Narcoossee's, Sanaa, Ohana, or something at DS)
Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Parkhopping between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Day 4: Epcot
Day 5: Parkhopping between Universal and IOA (we're big Harry Potter fans)
Day 6: Travel

And now for the big stuff. Like I said before, I haven't been to Disney since 2008. Katie hasn't been since 2012. It's been about 10 years for Josh too. There have been a lot of changes in that time. Magic Bands, FP+, dining plans, price hikes, new rides... Yeah. It's different and exciting, and we can't wait to try it out.

We're thinking we may want to try the Regular Dining Plan. What are the best ways to get our money's worth? Also, what are the best value hotels? Sports looks pretty nice.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :happy:

206334_1007892230918_5885_n.jpg

16 year old me on my last trip in the now-torn-down Streets of America :(

(edited 1/23/2017)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Currently about 5 weeks out from this trip, which is really hard to believe.

A few things-

My grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago. While I’m glad his suffering has ended, his death combined with my grandmama’s 2 months ago, and my dog’s 3 months ago has left me in a really bad state of mind, and this trip could not come sooner.

Still no luck with Be Our Guest, but we’re trying!

I think our magic band confirmation is next week?

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I am so sorry for your losses.
I hope your trip to WDW will help you heal, sending pixie dust your way for a perfect vacation.

So sorry for your losses. Hopefully this vacation will allow your heart to heal a little bit. Sending you tons of pixie dust and well wishes for you and your family.

Thank you both, very much. I know i’ll be better next month, but I’ll still be healing from my first Thanksgiving without them. This trip is really going to be special for me.

Despite the Disney site having issues, Katie managed to snag a FP for River Journey at 8! The pixie dust that you sent worked :)

I am Timmy

What?! Geez, I am so sorry for you and your family. That is just too much. I hope so much for you to have a magical trip and for you to get all the fast passes you are wishing for. I will wish for them, too. Especially for Be Our Guest Reservations.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
What?! Geez, I am so sorry for you and your family. That is just too much. I hope so much for you to have a magical trip and for you to get all the fast passes you are wishing for. I will wish for them, too. Especially for Be Our Guest Reservations.

My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time

I hope that Disney can provide you with an escape

Max
Thanks Timmy, thanks Max. My family’s definitely still healing, but every day is a little better. My grandparents were married for 63 years, so I was a little worried about my grandma, but she’s actually doing okay; so that’s a blessing.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
It is hard to believe that one month from now, I will be at the Magic Kingdom celebrating my 26th birthday, hopefully with a turkey leg.

The trip will also be about half over by that point. I have morning flights on both my arrival and departure days, so I think I’ll have 9 hours to explore on the 24th before my dinner reservation at Ohana.

Still no luck on Be Our Guest, but we’re trying

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So, not only was it 28 degrees today, but there was a 5 degree windchill. Also, my office had no heat, and for some reason, the AC was running? One of my coworkers never took off his coat.

What got me thru the day? Knowing that in 2 weeks, I’m going to be in Orlando. It won’t be hot (it’ll be 71 when I get there), but that’s 40 degrees warmer than what I’m in right now.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Disney has added some more park hours. On the 25th, Animal Kingdom is now going to be open from 7 AM to 10 PM, and MK will be open until midnight! Idk if we would stay the whole time at MK that night, but it’s kind of nice to have the option.

Also, I ordered my tickets for Uni!

Czar63

So excited for you! You are going to have so much fun seeing all the updates since your last trip. Ohana's is amazing. Try Be Our Guest as soon as they open for lunch and in the middle of the week. Delicious! Also 50's Prime Time in Hollywood Studios is wonderful - best fried chicken anywhere and the whole theme atmosphere is so much fun. My daughter and I go every year since she was 7 and she just started working for the Disney Store last week - she's now 23. We just did the food and wine festival and March we will celebrate her birthday there and who know's maybe an ENGAGEMENT in front of the Castle. Woo hoo!!!! Enjoy your birthday there - I too am a thanksgiving baby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom