Pre-Trip Thanksgiving/Birthday 2017 (Somewhat Live)

I'm finally going back!!! I haven't been to Disney World since 2008, and I have missed it so much. Growing up, my family would go every few years, but that stopped once I started college (my younger sister and I never had matching spring breaks again). This is my first Pre-Trip Report (or Trip Report in general), so I'm asking for both patience and suggestions.

Who: There will be at least three of us on the trip. Me (Liz), my best friend (Katie), and her boyfriend Josh. While I am the third part of that relationship (literally, both of them have told me this on different occasions), we've put the word out among our friends and siblings that the invitation is there if they want to join us. I'd love it if my little sister could join us, especially since we live in different states now, and I can't really imagine a trip to Disney without her.

Where: Because we're young adults who haven't struck it rich quite yet, we're probably staying in Pop Century, or possibly Caribbean Beach Resort (if there are 5 of us).

When: Late November 2017 (We formerly considered September).

How: I recently managed to talk Katie into flying, instead of a 17 hour, nonstop road trip. I recently drove to Texas with my sister to move her to her new home, and I am looking forward to never driving 20 hours again (will that probably happen again? Yes, but I don't want it to be anytime in the near future). [Edit- she just told me that she and Josh were trying to figure out how to talk me into flying; lesson learned, nobody wants to drive from Ohio to Florida]

What: Day 1: Traveling/swimming/exploring Disney Springs/dinner at a restaurant (Narcoossee's, Sanaa, Ohana, or something at DS)
Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Parkhopping between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Day 4: Epcot
Day 5: Parkhopping between Universal and IOA (we're big Harry Potter fans)
Day 6: Travel

And now for the big stuff. Like I said before, I haven't been to Disney since 2008. Katie hasn't been since 2012. It's been about 10 years for Josh too. There have been a lot of changes in that time. Magic Bands, FP+, dining plans, price hikes, new rides... Yeah. It's different and exciting, and we can't wait to try it out.

We're thinking we may want to try the Regular Dining Plan. What are the best ways to get our money's worth? Also, what are the best value hotels? Sports looks pretty nice.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :happy:

206334_1007892230918_5885_n.jpg

16 year old me on my last trip in the now-torn-down Streets of America :(

(edited 1/23/2017)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Guess who has become very impatient about this trip?

Me. I am the impatient planner.

My grandmama passed away a week and a half ago after an unexpected illness, and I could really use this trip right now.

I am Timmy

Guess who has become very impatient about this trip?

Me. I am the impatient planner.

My grandmama passed away a week and a half ago after an unexpected illness, and I could really use this trip right now.
I am so sorry, I hope you can find a way to enjoy the little things even when you feeling low. Maybe having the trip to look forward to will help, and planning can take your mind off things for a little while. My heart goes out to you.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I am so sorry, I hope you can find a way to enjoy the little things even when you feeling low. Maybe having the trip to look forward to will help, and planning can take your mind off things for a little while. My heart goes out to you.
Thank you. Unfortunately, my maternal grandfather is still in poor health and probably won't last too much longer (though we thought he was going to pass away in the spring, so we're glad for the extra time we've had), and I have the feeling that this trip will be very needed.

In happier news, 20 days until we need to reserve FastPass+! That's really arriving quickly.

I am very impatient about the lack of the holiday festival news (outside of Matt Bomer being the Candlelight Processional speaker :inlove:)

I am Timmy

Thank you. Unfortunately, my maternal grandfather is still in poor health and probably won't last too much longer (though we thought he was going to pass away in the spring, so we're glad for the extra time we've had), and I have the feeling that this trip will be very needed.

In happier news, 20 days until we need to reserve FastPass+! That's really arriving quickly.

I am very impatient about the lack of the holiday festival news (outside of Matt Bomer being the Candlelight Processional speaker :inlove:)
I'm so sorry for all your misfortune. That extra time is everything. I do hope you get all the fast passes you want - and I am starting to feel the same about lack of holiday offerings news! Although my trip isn't until Dec., I can't believe so little has been announced. I check a few times a day, for that and Rivers of Light dining package - that isn't going past Oct. yet. What do you have planned for holiday shenanigans so far?

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I'm so sorry for all your misfortune. That extra time is everything. I do hope you get all the fast passes you want - and I am starting to feel the same about lack of holiday offerings news! Although my trip isn't until Dec., I can't believe so little has been announced. I check a few times a day, for that and Rivers of Light dining package - that isn't going past Oct. yet. What do you have planned for holiday shenanigans so far?
Thanks Timmy. Funny enough, the news about Epcot's new festival was posted not long after this post. I'm pretty excited to see what is offered :)

Dave B

The Rivers of Lights dining packages are up finally for November, have fun on the trip, we will be there Nov 18-26 at the Yacht Club

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The Rivers of Lights dining packages are up finally for November, have fun on the trip, we will be there Nov 18-26 at the Yacht Club
This is my first late-fall Disney trip in about 2 decades (I think), so I'm pretty excited to see what is offered. I'll be in full Christmas spirit by then, so I have a feeling that I'll be buying lots and lots of Disney-themed Christmas gifts.

What do you have planned so far for your trip?

Dave B

This is the best time of the year, so fun and so beautiful all decked out for the holidays, make sure you resort hop a little bit

We arrive on Saturday at 1pm ( DW, DS-13, DD-11 )and are going to stay at the AoA for the weekend. We check in on Monday to the Yacht club with the dining package, we are very excited.

Sat and Sunday will be pool days and checking out some resorts, also the drawing class at AoA
Monday we have BoG at 815 to open MK and get on SMDT, we will spend the morning at MK, then go check in our room and go to the pool, we have an ADR for Beaches and Cream for lunch and a Kitchen sink, we have not tried it before but are up for the challenge

We are then going to AK and Pandora for Monday night, our first experience, hopefully we can get some FP for FoP

Tuesday we have a full day at Epcot with Breakfast at 8:15 at Askerhaus to open the park, hopefully go straight to Frozen, Eat lunch around the world at Epcot, pool break at Yacht Club, we are going back and forth on going to HS for a bit, then close Epcot with EMH from 9-11 pm

Wednesday we are opening AK and Pandora, spend the morning there and then another pool afternoon at Yacht Club, more beaches and cream, then dinner at Whispering Canyon, we also have friends there and are going to meet up with then at the Wilderness Pool, we have already checked with front desk and they said it was ok since we are guest of our friends, then we are closing MK for EMH 10-midnight

Thursday is Turkey day and football, ADR for Minnie's Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café at 10:45, beaches and cream for lunch(or ice cream) and dinner at Yachtsmen Steakhouse, we are so exited our first time eating there, we also might go to HS for a couple rides and Fantasmic

Friday we are going to AK, more Pandora, but full park experience this day for sure, safari, Everest, Nemo Show, RoL, we have a breakfast package at Tusker House and dinner at Yak and Yeti

Saturday we are sleeping in, then heading to MK for the day, BoG lunch at1pm, Bibbidi bobbidi boutique for my daughter and then end with dinner in Cinderella's Castle, fireworks and hopefully get on Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain to end our trip

We are going to try Universal for the first time as well on Sunday thru Wednesday, 26th -29th

What about you guys, what are your plans?

Princess Leia

Original Poster
This is the best time of the year, so fun and so beautiful all decked out for the holidays, make sure you resort hop a little bit

We arrive on Saturday at 1pm ( DW, DS-13, DD-11 )and are going to stay at the AoA for the weekend. We check in on Monday to the Yacht club with the dining package, we are very excited.

Sat and Sunday will be pool days and checking out some resorts, also the drawing class at AoA
Monday we have BoG at 815 to open MK and get on SMDT, we will spend the morning at MK, then go check in our room and go to the pool, we have an ADR for Beaches and Cream for lunch and a Kitchen sink, we have not tried it before but are up for the challenge

We are then going to AK and Pandora for Monday night, our first experience, hopefully we can get some FP for FoP

Tuesday we have a full day at Epcot with Breakfast at 8:15 at Askerhaus to open the park, hopefully go straight to Frozen, Eat lunch around the world at Epcot, pool break at Yacht Club, we are going back and forth on going to HS for a bit, then close Epcot with EMH from 9-11 pm

Wednesday we are opening AK and Pandora, spend the morning there and then another pool afternoon at Yacht Club, more beaches and cream, then dinner at Whispering Canyon, we also have friends there and are going to meet up with then at the Wilderness Pool, we have already checked with front desk and they said it was ok since we are guest of our friends, then we are closing MK for EMH 10-midnight

Thursday is Turkey day and football, ADR for Minnie's Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café at 10:45, beaches and cream for lunch(or ice cream) and dinner at Yachtsmen Steakhouse, we are so exited our first time eating there, we also might go to HS for a couple rides and Fantasmic

Friday we are going to AK, more Pandora, but full park experience this day for sure, safari, Everest, Nemo Show, RoL, we have a breakfast package at Tusker House and dinner at Yak and Yeti

Saturday we are sleeping in, then heading to MK for the day, BoG lunch at1pm, Bibbidi bobbidi boutique for my daughter and then end with dinner in Cinderella's Castle, fireworks and hopefully get on Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain to end our trip

We are going to try Universal for the first time as well on Sunday thru Wednesday, 26th -29th

What about you guys, what are your plans?
That sounds like a great trip! Ours isn’t nearly as organized (... yet, stay tuned tomorrow ;) ), but we have the basics. Arrive at Pop on the 24th, have a late dinner at Ohana that night, AK/DHS on the 25th, Uni/IOA on the 26th, celebrate my birthday at Magic Kingdom on the 27th, Epcot (and Le Cellier) on the 28th, then fly out on the 29th.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Good luck!!! :) enjoy all your pretrip feelings!!!!! So excited for you :)
Thank you!! I’ll report back tomorrow after FPs are booked. I’m a little nervous lol

Side note- my department changed offices 2 weeks ago, and I went from having a private office to a cubicle.

Not just any cubicle, but one that is pretty open to the whole office to see. Goodbye privacy... and the ability to read trip reports during the work hours when I don’t have a lot to do :(

amjt660

Premium Member
I work for a Japanese company - open concept office - zero privacy

I just make sure it is obvious I am on break/lunch - drink and food in front of me - and surf away

Max

prfctlyximprct

Thank you!! I’ll report back tomorrow after FPs are booked. I’m a little nervous lol

Side note- my department changed offices 2 weeks ago, and I went from having a private office to a cubicle.

Not just any cubicle, but one that is pretty open to the whole office to see. Goodbye privacy... and the ability to read trip reports during the work hours when I don’t have a lot to do :(
I can't read at work either :( that's why I always fall behind! Lol

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I work for a Japanese company - open concept office - zero privacy

I just make sure it is obvious I am on break/lunch - drink and food in front of me - and surf away

Max

I can't read at work either :( that's why I always fall behind! Lol
I don’t like eating at my cube, so i’ve started eating in the kitchenette. Might start taking my phone with me to catch up on everything.

The plus side to this open concept is that our productivity has all skyrocketed lol

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Somewhat related as I am very excited about being reunited with Tigger in a couple months.
I painted this for my baby cousin today:
5DBF2B5D-B798-43D3-B652-8C4E942D9DA8.jpeg

She may be only 7 months old, but she loved it... or she loved the color orange. She just wanted to keep holding the canvas :)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
And now... the moment I’ve been waiting for...

FastPass+!

Saturday November 25th:
9:05-10:05- Kilimanjaro Safari
10:10-11:10- Na’vi River Journey
11:15-12:15- Expedition Everest
(We’ll probably be leaving the park for DHS around 1)

Monday November 27th:
9:15-10:15- 7 Dwarfs Mine Train
10:20-11:20- Peter Pan
11:15-12:15- Space Mountain

Tuesday November 28th:
9-10- Test Track
10-11- Mission: Space
11:10-12:10- Spaceship Earth

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
A couple things-

Magic Kingdom extended their EMH :D

Katie also got a reservation for Cinderella's Table at 10:10 that night. It might just be her and Erin using the reservation though, Josh and I might run off and go eat some place else (or ride something)

Animal Kindom also added hours! So, we can go to Fantasmic and Rivers of Light!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom