Thanks for the memories, Michael

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Michael Eisner ends 20 years as head of the Disney empire today. Many folks have expressed joy as his departure has drawn near. Others have expressed apprehension, uncertain what a future without Eisner at the helm holds.

I'm not writing this to talk about Eisner's impact on Disney's culture of "magic." That topic has been discussed ad infinitum. In my opinion, the concept of "magic" is too fluffy and fleeting to tie to one man. Pixie dust, if it exists, doesn't emerge from boardroom meetings or ride in the pockets of men wearing suits. Surely it has a different source, and surely its means of propagation are unaffected by balding tycoons.

I'm not writing this to discuss Eisner's impact on Mickey's bottom line. I'll leave that to smarter people, who enjoy playing with numbers. Frankly, I find the minutiae of business rather boring. However, despite my liberal arts education insisting that numbers can be massaged to say the sky is silver, everything I've seen indicates that the company's coffers did just fine for much of Eisner's time at the wheel.

This, then, is a chance to recall some of the memories I'll carry of Eisner, not from leaked company memos or secondhand relation of corporate infighting, but from direct observation.

Once I became old enough to recognize that it took real people to bring Jiminy, Uncle Scrooge and all the rest to life, the real person that came to personify Disney to me as much as any cartoon character was Eisner. My first memories of Eisner were as the host of "The Wonderful World of Disney" as a youngster. I remember being struck by his raspy voice, something that strikes me still, as though either endless cartons of cigarettes or countless hours of boardroom speeches have carved a permanent set of grooves in his throat. I suspect it's the latter.

I also recall being struck by his manner. Eisner could never be described as warm, exactly, but he always came across to me as WANTING to be. Stories of a rigidly-administered childhood from a stern father might explain some of this. I always felt as if part of Eisner wanted to see what it would be like to give Mickey Mouse a big hug, but couldn't quite bring himself to do more than put an arm around his shoulder.

Eisner's role within the company might also have explained some of this. During the early days of the company, the creative and business aspects of Disney were split cleanly, we're told, between the two Disney brothers. Eisner seemed to combine them more freely, always trying to justify the pixie dust against the balance sheet. It seems to be that tightrope act that has earned him detractions and accolades in seemingly equal volume.

Another memory I'll carry of Eisner comes from the now-infamous company shareholder meeting where Roy Disney and Stanley Gold roasted him in front of a roomful of stakeholders, and a much larger audience by radio. After Eisner absorbed the fiery darts of the pair, he again took the podium. His voice sounded a little hollow as I recall, a bit defeated. Yet he not only swallowed the criticism, he cracked a few jokes and continued with the presentation. No bile, no counterattacks, just a little humor and on with the show. One could argue, I suppose, that he had little choice as the event's emcee, but regardless, Eisner impressed me that day.

I was reminded pretty quickly from there that all of the public attacks on Eisner by the Disney/Gold pair and others weren't on some caricatured tyrant; they were against a real, flesh-and-blood man. A man with flaws, needless to say, but a man who seemed to believe in his role at Disney and who (whether the perception is true or not) simply seemed too busy running a corporation to bother with public shouting matches over whether the company's deceased founder would approve of his every decision.

Eisner never gave the impression that he had a head bursting with new, exciting ideas. He never seemed to exude a childlike exhuberance or insatiable curiosity. You never got the impression that he was comfortable wearing a big black pair of mouse ears or an engineer's cap. In short, he was never Walt Disney…a shortcoming many never forgave him.

But he was who he was. I've grown used to seeing him surrounded by fake castles, dancing mice and pretend mermaids. Yes, he always looked a little out of place, but I always felt like he "got" Disney in a way that many never gave him credit for. He certainly did a formidable job of sustaining it for quite a long time.

After today, that will all be past.

I, for one, will miss Michael Eisner.

wannab@dis

Wonderful post!

You have eloquently spelled out why Eisner should hold a honored place in Disney history. While I don't agree with all the decisions that he's made, noone can honestly say that his impact has been less than remarkable.

The last few years have been pretty rocky, but he's held his ground and respected the ones that have been detractors. My biggest problem with his departure is the way that Iger was selected. If the selection had been handled in a better way or at least seemed better to the public, then his tenure would be less tarnished.

I for one will be glad to give Iger the benefit of the doubt and will continue to be hopeful of the future. Eisner left a solid company to his successor and we can only hope that Iger will continue the growth that Disney has enjoyed under Eisner.

Good luck to Iger and also to Eisner in whatever he chooses!

goofyfan13

Wilt Dasney said:
I, for one, will miss Michael Eisner.

While I did want him out, looking back on all he has done, I too will miss Michael Eisner...
Hopefully Iger can live up to what Eisner did.

J Sulley

It makes me happy to see this thread....

Mom always said look for the good in everyone, and I see that the past 20 years have been sprinkled with good from Mr. Eisner throughout.

Thank-you for all that you have done to our world and continued best wishes!!!

Connor002

Mr. Eisner has done more than we can ever thank him for, he basicly saved the company, whatever mistakes he has made, surely his accomplishments outweigh them. Thank you Mr. Eisner, and good luck in the future.

Shaman

I can't say I'll miss Eisner...but I have always recognized him as the man that saved Disney...Thank you Roy for doing something right, way back when. His decisions early on really helped make the company what it is today....and that can't be taken away from him. Personally, my main problem with the man has always been that he didn't step down sooner...Towards the end I feel he wasn't the same man he had been when he first came to the company, when he first took its reins....I felt, watching events unfold from the outside (as many of us here), that maybe Eisner made a couple of bad decisions towards the end that the company could've done much better that it did...but like I said, I'm not inside the company...I'm not at the meetings...who knows...

Regardless, we don't know what the future holds...but we can be proud that there have been many a great things so far, some, if not most of which can be attributed to Eisner and his tenure at Disney.

So here's to the future...and the past....

:D

maelstrom

It's so obvious that you're a journalist, Benny. Nicely written.

I can appreciate Michael for what he did for the company. It's the end of an era. But the start of something new!

Tim G

Connor002 said:
Mr. Eisner has done more than we can ever thank him for, he basicly saved the company, whatever mistakes he has made, surely his accomplishments outweigh them. Thank you Mr. Eisner, and good luck in the future.
The Metrics, which are all public numbers:

Category................1984............2004............%

Disney's Revenues......$1.5 billion.....$30.8 billion..+2,000

Disney's Income.........$294 million....$4.49 billion..+1,600

Disney's Tax-Free
Cash Flow.................$100 million....$2.9 billion....+2,900

Stock Price
(adjusted for splits)....$1.33............$28.40.........+2,100

Market Value.............$1.9 billion......$57.4 billion..+3,000

Disney's Enterprise
Value/market value
plus debt minus cash...$2.8 billion.....$69 billion......+3,200

:)

Eat Your Heart Out Roy Disney... :D :kiss:

jojoyner55

Lovely first post, and a thoughtful thread with good posts by all. I'm one of the few around here old enough to have been to WDW pre-Eisner. I first visited in 1977. There was the MK, the CR, and the Poly, lots of room...and nothing else save potential. Let's all remember that Eisner took that potential and built what WDW is today.
And that's just one aspect of what he accomplished. I too, raise a glass in salute. Thanks, Michael.
:wave:

Dragonrider1227

90% of what he did in his original run was awesome. He did practiclly save Disney from being bought by Paramount or something. But I still want to smack him into the walls of Cinderella Castle sometimes with some of the recent decisions he made near the end of his career. He's a perfect example of going mad with the power IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom