"Thank you, Len Testa" or "Hey, that's my kid!"

Lokheed

Original Poster
Have you really rode SWSA eleven hundred times?!

Closer to 1300 now. As I said, he's slowed down quite a bit this year. Partially because he was so sick for so long, but also because he has become less obsessive about it. It used to be that if we went to the park, we were going to ride SWSA 9-15 times that day. Now he usually does it 2-3 times and is satisfied.

DisneyLindz

For one of my jobs, I work with a seven year old boy diagnosed with Autism. I've worked with him for the past year. Although he is low functioning, I find him improving dramatically and becoming interested in more and more things. To my delight, he is starting to watch Disney movies and LOVES playing Disney games on the computer. His favorite book is a storybook with Buzz and Woody.

I keep trying to convince his mom that the family should take a trip to Disney World. This boy has an older sister that has been begging to go to Disney World, but the parents are uncertain about taking the son. His behaviors are generally good in public, but sometimes gets anxious around crowds. If the right time of year, I believe that he would love Disney!!! He would love the junk food everywhere, the bright lights, and all the disney charachters.

I love that your son made it into the unofficial guide!!! I am tempted to buy it and give it to his mom in order to give her a little more hope that a little guy with autism will fit right into the world. :) Any tips for his mom?

PintoColvig

Do they let you keep riding without getting off or do you have to jump out and get back in line? Just curious.

Also, my associate has an autistic son but doesn't do themeparks because of his condition. I'm going to tell him of your son though. It might be an encouragement to them.

maelstrom

Closer to 1300 now. As I said, he's slowed down quite a bit this year. Partially because he was so sick for so long, but also because he has become less obsessive about it. It used to be that if we went to the park, we were going to ride SWSA 9-15 times that day. Now he usually does it 2-3 times and is satisfied.

Bless you for riding it so many times! It could be worse -- he could love IASW! (I love IASW but I know most people don't.)

Does he have a love of any other rides? Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh? Do you know what it is about Snow White that he loves so much? Has he been on the Snow White ride in Disneyland?

Like I said before, I have heard about your son, and the fact that Disney thrills him so much really makes me happy. I love to see Disney helping people who may not otherwise be functioning or responding or whatnot. This is really what the magic of Disney is all about. :xmas:

Nemo14

Glad to hear from you again! I think of you and Ben every time we're in Fantasyland now - his story really moved me.
Sorry to hear that he had a rough year, but glad that he is doing better now.
Give him a hug from all of us! :sohappy:

DisneyMusician2

Congrats! It so great to hear that Disney is still touching people... ...and a special congrats to you for Ben getting down to 2-3 times a day. I can only imagine, you must dream in Snow White cars...

Lokheed

Original Poster
For one of my jobs, I work with a seven year old boy diagnosed with Autism. .... Any tips for his mom?

The single biggest thing: When they arrive at WDW and enter the first theme park of their trip, then need to stop by Guest Services (located in Town Hall at the front of Main Street at the MK, and similarly located in the other parks). All they need to do is tell them that their son is autistic and that he needs a Guest Assistance Pass (GAP). Some books recommend that you bring a letter from a doctor, but I've never needed one. The cast members invariably take one look at Benjamin and know that I am telling the truth. Anyway, they can get a GAP the covers the entire duration of their stay and is good at all the parks. There are several variations on the passes based on what accommodations need to be made for the guest. In the case of autistic children, what they give you is a pass that lets you either use the FastPass or the wheelchair entrance, depending on the ride. It's not quite a front-of-line pass, but it does drastically decrease your wait time and keeps you in a separate, less crowded line.

Also, allow the child to find quite, uncrowded spots to unwind in. Ben likes a particular bay window in the Main Street Confectionary, where he can sit and watch people but be protected by the surrounding merchandise. The movie theater behind Tony's is also always very quiet, and shows a loop of cartoons (Steamboat Willie, The Band Concert, and Flowers and Trees).

If your friend has any other questions, you are welcome to message me directly and I will help in any way I can.

Meeko

Congrats on making it into the book. Your story is inspiring and hopefully it will encourage many more families to follow a few dreams of their own. :sohappy:

lentesta

Premium Member
Lokheed, glad to hear Ben's doing better. Your idea of re-doing Tiki Birds with a Stitch theme is still fabulous, too. Tell everyone we said hey.

Len

wannabeBelle

Lokheed, I Am so happy to hear Ben is doing better now!!!! Love and kisses to a special little boy with a great family!!!
Hey Len, You and the folks at UG ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Belle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom