Trip Report Thank Heaven for Little Girls.

A few years back my son and I took a trip out West and along the way spent a few estrogen free days in Disneyland. This year was the girl's turn, even if that wasn't part of our original plans.

Planning vacations as your children get older can be a difficult task. Demands from college, high-school, camps, activities, and even part time jobs end up leaving very few open spaces on the calendar. Lately it seems that mid July to mid August is our sweet spot for getting away and so it was again this year. Based on a great deal on a condo found by my wife Val, we came up with a somewhat last minute plan to visit Clearwater Beach Florida...and oh yeah, we decided to drive down from Pennsylvania. I also had an eye to sneak away to WDW for at least a day during our week stay.;)

My son Sterg had to bow out of the trip. He's starting college at Penn State this year and since he's on their swim team he needed to stay behind and train. See what I mean about other demand? Don't feel too bad for him however, he has had a few nice trips of his own over the last six months. It may have also saved his life as I'm sure having to deal with him for 18 hours in a car would have stirred some primal blood anger in me.

Without Sterg it would leave myself, my wife Val, my 21 year old daughter Alex (about to become a college senior) and my 13 year old daughter Toni. Not quite "little girls" anymore but as most Dads will attest to; they are always little girls. Anyone who has read my previous reports knows that Val is not the biggest Disney fan - but how could we be so close to WDW and not go? After much deliberations on the scale of the Yalta conference we hammered out an arrangement to make one day on our trip "Chris, Alex and Toni get to go to Walt Disney World" Day. Where there is a will...

The big day came - we departed on a Saturday at 3pm in the afternoon after loading up our trusty stead/Ford Explorer. Leaving Sterg home by himself for a week brought it's own set of issues but he was all smiles and willing to play photographer as we said our goodbyes...

At this point we had no idea what we were getting into...

i-tbh7xkX-XL.jpg

Sterg's long arms came in handy here...

i-fRT3gx2-XL.jpg

Alex and Toni settling in for a long voyage and adventure while Sterg makes sure we say our goodbyes to Prince our dog.

i-dMP37WZ-XL.jpg

We were on our way to Florida!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Isn't it interesting how day and night tell a tale of two cities? The day vibe was quaint and historical and I'd love to visit during the day down there. Not sure if I'd be as comfortable down there at night (although the pictures of the dog made me smile!). :) I can also well understand Alex's concern in the night club. Good thing daddy was there!!

fractal

Original Poster
Walt Disney World is an extraordinary place. I love entering that bubble with my family and enjoying and sharing everything it has to offer with them. As I reflect on WDW, I realize it's one of the few places left that maintains a degree of wholesomeness; as corny as that may sound. For example, in a recent visit to Hershey Park I noticed that over the speakers they play current top 40 hits. Today, many of these songs allude to or are outright about "adult relations". Many of these songs also include "soft" profanity. As much as I may enjoy some of these songs; listening to them in a theme park reminds me of "the real world". A world that seems to become more violent and vulgar each day. It ruins the "escape" I want.

You will not hear that in a Disney Park. The characters may seem silly and childish to some, and although I'm not one that waits for meet and greets - I appreciated that they exist to maintain the atmosphere of another place and time. Same with the costumes, the parades, the Cast members playing the part, the inspiring fireworks, the amazing attractions,etc. As long as WDW continues to provide that "bubble" to escape the real world I will be a big fan.

The drives down and back on this trip were grueling. We could not manage an early start from Savannah for our final leg home - which resulted in more traffic, more stops and a final arrival time to our home's driveway of 2am. Val said she'll never do the drive again (never say never!) and I tended to agree a flight would have been easier - but there were positives to being stuck in a car together for all that time.

We had some great conversations and funny moments. We sang to songs ( even Disney one's with Val rolling her eyes), and made jokes, and even some serious talk. At the time it seemed forever in the car but looking back I'm very glad we did it. Getting into a car one day and emerging from that car the next day in another part of the country a thousand miles away is a real accomplishment. I recently saw this quote and it did remind me of those 30+ hours we spent together in our Ford Explorer...

"Sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people". - Elizabeth Green

In the end we got both - extraordinary places and extraordinary times. We were missing one of the right people sorely, but next time I'm sure he'll be with us.

Thanks for following and all the comments! Hopefully in two years I'll be wrapping up another Trip Report!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing another fun and interesting TR. Your wonderful pictures and commentary were so enjoyable. I like the different places you visited, as well as your time in WDW. Hopefully, Serg can join you on your next vacation trip (I think he's funny--I recall the last WDW trip you posted!). :)

Your reference about the music in the WDW parks was spot on. It is family-oriented, and appropriate for anyone listening. Disney still provides that wholesome overall experience for every age group. Also, I've always felt it was a very safe destination to visit, which is one of a number of reasons why I've returned each year.

LisaBelle

As always, enjoyed your report. We usually drive from Cincinnati to WDW so I know how grueling those drives can be. But as you say, lots of positives can come out of those lengthy hauls and they often make for great memories even if they didn't seem so at the time. Glad you kept the streak going. Here's hoping you get to return to WDW for a "real" visit again soon. :)

fractal

Original Poster
I just loved reading your TR! What beautiful photos! I am intrigued by your camera. I have a Canon 6D and have been curious about mirrorless cameras... now I want one after seeing all of your beautiful shots!

I was actually considering buying one for our trip next week, but then I realized I didn't really have time to "learn" all of the ins & outs of the camera vs. my Canon before we left for the trip, so I"m going to rock out my DSLR on this trip-- and got an Op Tech Utility Sling to make shooting easier this time around. I love all of your pictures, they are just beautiful! You got great colors and so much great composition!!!
Thank you! The 6D is a great camera - the difference between DSLR and mirrorless are significant. I purchased a mirrorless because I was motivated by other trip report here to get a good camera. Way back in the 90's I had a Canon Rebel but found that I was leaving it at home more and more because of the size and hassle to carry around. In 2010 I jumped into mirrorless with a Sony NEX-3 which offered a DSLR sized APS-C sensor in a tiny body and it was an interchangeable lens camera which allowed me to grow with this new hobby if I wanted. In 2012 I stepped up to the NEX-7 which added an EVF and modern sensor ( basically the same as the Nikon D7100). Right now I'm looking to upgrade to a Sony A7 series camera with a full-frame sensor. A year or so ago I even started a website/blog discussing my experiences with my Sony mirrorless cameras. www.sonynexcapades.com

Some things to consider before making the switch;

You will have to give up your optical viewfinder for an electronic viewfinder. Having used both, I very much prefer the EVF as you can see your exposure change as you change setting (WYSIWYG), but many people like a OVF.

The newer mirrorless cameras have much improved Autofocus but in some situations, you may find it slower than your 6D. The AF on my NEX-7 is a generation behind but I've never had an issue with it. The newest Sony A7rii is a big leap forward in AF technology based off the sensor - in fact it can AF Canon lenses almost as good as a Canon body in most environments. It's a $3,000 camera - but I would think that technology will trickle down to the lessor models fairly soon.

Again - the big advantage is size - especially for an APS-C sized mirrorless like mine. It's a wonder to be able to carry something so small and light with the photo taking capabilities it offers. I think it's the perfect camera for WDW - considering how much you walk in the heat. The Sony A6000 is the top APS-C mirrorless for Sony right now, Fuji makes the XT-1 (which is a great camera) and Samsung also has a like of top notch mirrorless cameras. I would gladly answer any questions you have about it.

Isn't it interesting how day and night tell a tale of two cities? The day vibe was quaint and historical and I'd love to visit during the day down there. Not sure if I'd be as comfortable down there at night (although the pictures of the dog made me smile!). :) I can also well understand Alex's concern in the night club. Good thing daddy was there!!
Yes, you nailed it. Different town at night!

Thank you for sharing another fun and interesting TR. Your wonderful pictures and commentary were so enjoyable. I like the different places you visited, as well as your time in WDW. Hopefully, Serg can join you on your next vacation trip (I think he's funny--I recall the last WDW trip you posted!). :)

Your reference about the music in the WDW parks was spot on. It is family-oriented, and appropriate for anyone listening. Disney still provides that wholesome overall experience for every age group. Also, I've always felt it was a very safe destination to visit, which is one of a number of reasons why I've returned each year.
Thanks for following along from beginning to end! Sterg does add a different dynamic to any trip we take - that's for sure! We'll be waiting for your trip report. :)

As always, enjoyed your report. We usually drive from Cincinnati to WDW so I know how grueling those drives can be. But as you say, lots of positives can come out of those lengthy hauls and they often make for great memories even if they didn't seem so at the time. Glad you kept the streak going. Here's hoping you get to return to WDW for a "real" visit again soon. :)
Thanks @LisaBelle ! I'm already thinking of our next trip. :)

Last edited:

DisSplash

Hi, end of report! ;) Sad to see it all done tho. I am in complete agreement with your sentiments over your car travel. We have only driven down to WDW/Port Canaveral each time (for a total of 6 times) and are about to make it 7 in January. I realize that we could save ourselves some time by trying to fly, but there are so many benefits to car travel that I hardly ever consider it (and the money we save by not flying our family of four is always our starter fund for the next trip!).

But you are right about the captive audience, the interesting dialogue between the kids, and the sometimes serious conversations. It has always seemed like an adventure to our kids to drive that far and "explore," and while we travel the same roads now, they now have an appreciation for landmarks and can gage the distance left. I will say that my husband is happy that we have graduated from non-stop Land Before Time movies on a portable DVD player (who knew dinosaurs could scream so shrilly) to our current entertainment system with headphones for the 1 or 2 movies the kids actually decide to watch during the 12 hour drive, as now they love looking out the windows and watching the world go by and intermittently chatting with us and each other. Can't buy that in a 2-3 hour flight - you need at least 4-5 hours down time for that!

I am also thinking that you could work on Val ... Can you imagine all of your practically 'all grownup' kids in 1 car? Totally priceless.

coachwnh

Thanks for taking the time to share this report. I always enjoy the pictures and you you tell a great story. Good luck to you and your family!

Sharkreef11

Had a great time following along and thanks for sharing. Couldn't agree with you more about what makes Disney World so special and unique. Entering the bubble and enjoying a "different world" is one of the biggest reasons I can never get enough and is truly my favorite place to be. Already excited for your next report in a few years! Can't wait to see a full trips worth of pictures. Best of luck with everything.

fractal

Original Poster
Hi, end of report! ;) Sad to see it all done tho. I am in complete agreement with your sentiments over your car travel. We have only driven down to WDW/Port Canaveral each time (for a total of 6 times) and are about to make it 7 in January. I realize that we could save ourselves some time by trying to fly, but there are so many benefits to car travel that I hardly ever consider it (and the money we save by not flying our family of four is always our starter fund for the next trip!).

But you are right about the captive audience, the interesting dialogue between the kids, and the sometimes serious conversations. It has always seemed like an adventure to our kids to drive that far and "explore," and while we travel the same roads now, they now have an appreciation for landmarks and can gage the distance left. I will say that my husband is happy that we have graduated from non-stop Land Before Time movies on a portable DVD player (who knew dinosaurs could scream so shrilly) to our current entertainment system with headphones for the 1 or 2 movies the kids actually decide to watch during the 12 hour drive, as now they love looking out the windows and watching the world go by and intermittently chatting with us and each other. Can't buy that in a 2-3 hour flight - you need at least 4-5 hours down time for that!

I am also thinking that you could work on Val ... Can you imagine all of your practically 'all grownup' kids in 1 car? Totally priceless.

Ha,ha! love the "hi" reference! :D I'm glad somebody else sees the benefits of driving - I also describe it as an adventure.
I'm not sure what adding Sterg to the mix in the car would have produced other than more crazy stories. Thanks much for following along and all the comments!

Thanks for taking the time to share this report. I always enjoy the pictures and you you tell a great story. Good luck to you and your family!
Thanks @coachwnh - appreciate the follow. Same to yours!

Had a great time following along and thanks for sharing. Couldn't agree with you more about what makes Disney World so special and unique. Entering the bubble and enjoying a "different world" is one of the biggest reasons I can never get enough and is truly my favorite place to be. Already excited for your next report in a few years! Can't wait to see a full trips worth of pictures. Best of luck with everything.
Thank you @Sharkreef11 ! I can't wait to get to that bubble again and take those pictures! Best to you!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us :). Your pictures are fantastic!

Thanks @Beastly74 !!

That flag reflection/ puddle/ cobblestone photo is AMAZING.

Thank you @myhappyplace ! It's one of my favorites. :)

What a great trip report! I totally agree with everything said at the end.

Thank you @KathyJetson ! Appreciate your following ( and all your likes! :D)

lbrad

Fractal - So LOVED your TR!!! I haven't been on this site for awhile (life has gotten so busy). So glad I could enjoy my time stuck at home (sick) reading your families adventures!! FORGOT I'm sick ... you have put a smile on my face & happiness in my heart :) Your girls are GORGEOUS!!! Can not believe how time flies.
Awesome that Sterg is at Penn State. My nephew just started his freshmen year at Penn state (Main). His dad (my brother) is a Penn State Alumni. Maybe our paths will cross at Beaver Stadium. Go Lions!!
Your pictures are beautiful as always.
Glad you got to spend time in Savannah. I lived in Savannah for a few years in the early 80's. Love Savannah!!! I now live in PA :) We have made the drive down 95 many many many times :) It can be grueling BUT as my hubby always say "Driving is half the fun" ;)
Thank you so much for sharing your family trip with us & thank you for helping me feel better:joyfull::inlove:

mrerk

Premium Member
OK, I have a challenge for you for your 2017 trip. On Soarin' during the golf course flyover, someone hits a tee shot and the golfball flies right toward you. There is a hidden Mickey on the golfball. I have been trying to get that shot for years, but my timing is always off or the pic is out of focus. So keep that in mind for a photo op next time you are on Soarin'.
Rumor has it that "someone" is Michael Eisner.

fractal

Original Poster
Fractal - So LOVED your TR!!! I haven't been on this site for awhile (life has gotten so busy). So glad I could enjoy my time stuck at home (sick) reading your families adventures!! FORGOT I'm sick ... you have put a smile on my face & happiness in my heart :) Your girls are GORGEOUS!!! Can not believe how time flies.
Awesome that Sterg is at Penn State. My nephew just started his freshmen year at Penn state (Main). His dad (my brother) is a Penn State Alumni. Maybe our paths will cross at Beaver Stadium. Go Lions!!
Your pictures are beautiful as always.
Glad you got to spend time in Savannah. I lived in Savannah for a few years in the early 80's. Love Savannah!!! I now live in PA :) We have made the drive down 95 many many many times :) It can be grueling BUT as my hubby always say "Driving is half the fun" ;)
Thank you so much for sharing your family trip with us & thank you for helping me feel better:joyfull::inlove:

Thanks for checking in @lbrad ! Yes, time does fly. We were just at Happy Valley on Saturday to check on Sterg and catch a Football game so maybe we will bump into you someday. Savannah was beautiful! Thanks again! Now for some pics @ Penn State...

lunch at the Creamery. Val with the "why are you taking another picture" look.

DSC08822-XL.jpg

DSC08826-XL.jpg

Sterg & Toni (Alex couldn't make it).

DSC08838-XL.jpg

our seats...
DSC08847-XL.jpg

At half-time I climbed all the way up @ the 50 yard line for a shot with my fisheye lens!

DSC08854-X2.jpg

Fractal and ShookieJones are my favorite TR authors. They both know how to tell a story that relates to a lot of guys here on the site. Bravo for another great read.

Thanks @cedardad ! @ShookieJones is due for a trip report.

Rumor has it that "someone" is Michael Eisner.
I would try to confirm on my next trip, but my camera isn't that good. :D

catmom46

Thanks for checking in @lbrad ! Yes, time does fly. We were just at Happy Valley on Saturday to check on Sterg and catch a Football game so maybe we will bump into you someday. Savannah was beautiful! Thanks again! Now for some pics @ Penn State...

lunch at the Creamery. Val with the "why are you taking another picture" look.

DSC08822-XL.jpg

DSC08826-XL.jpg

Sterg & Toni (Alex couldn't make it).

DSC08838-XL.jpg

our seats...
DSC08847-XL.jpg

At half-time I climbed all the way up @ the 50 yard line for a shot with my fisheye lens!

DSC08854-X2.jpg

Great pics! Looks like perfect weather.

Does Val not know the importance of getting pics of mundane activities for TRs and how much we value them??? :p

Tigger19

Loved this trip report and all your pictures make me wish I was there now! I know you probably get this a lot, but what camera do you have and what photo editing software do you use? Really considering getting a camera for my next trip but want to make sure I get the best one instead of using my iphone again!!

fractal

Original Poster
Great pics! Looks like perfect weather.

Does Val not know the importance of getting pics of mundane activities for TRs and how much we value them??? :p

thanks - haha, no doubt Val does not have an appreciation of these things. :cautious:

GAH I love your Penn state photos!!!!
Thanks!

Loved this trip report and all your pictures make me wish I was there now! I know you probably get this a lot, but what camera do you have and what photo editing software do you use? Really considering getting a camera for my next trip but want to make sure I get the best one instead of using my iphone again!!
Thanks @Tigger19 ! I use a Sony NEX-7. I shoot in RAW and edit my photos in Lightroom. The latest version of my camera is the Sony A6000. It's plastic (vs. mag alloy on mine) but has much better autofocus and Wifi. Basically has the same sensor so image quality will be near identical to the NEX-7. It's a great camera, especially for the price - I think Sony just knocked $100 off of it. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom