Texas to Disney...

Clarice33

My family and I are in the planning stages of our Disney vacation for 2009. We'll be staying at Pop this go 'round, and have decided to make the drive from South Texas to Disney rather than flying like in the past. Any ideas/suggestions for where to make an overnight stop? :snore: We are a family of 4 adults and 4 kids this trip :eek:, so we definately need to make an overnight stop. Also, should I invest in a GPS? :shrug:I've never driven out of Texas and I want to be prepared. Thanks! :sohappy:

Tater48

When we used to drive to Orlando, my wife always wanted to stop in either Gulfport or Biloxi, while I would prefer to make it to Gainesville before stopping.

Upvote 0

seeLSUrun

Slidell isnt a bad idea since its right on I-12 or even mandeville where i live, its about 30 minutes before slidell and a nice area with movie theaters, good restaraunts etc.

Upvote 0
My family and I are in the planning stages of our Disney vacation for 2009. We'll be staying at Pop this go 'round, and have decided to make the drive from South Texas to Disney rather than flying like in the past. Any ideas/suggestions for where to make an overnight stop? :snore: We are a family of 4 adults and 4 kids this trip :eek:, so we definately need to make an overnight stop. Also, should I invest in a GPS? :shrug:I've never driven out of Texas and I want to be prepared. Thanks! :sohappy:

Where is Alice, Tx??

Upvote 0

Preacher Gravy

What part of South Texas? If you are going from Houston the map says you can do it in one long 14 hour day. . . probably 17 hours in real time depending on stops, etc. Obviously if you are going from the valley you would stop in Houston or Beaumont. A little more detail would help. But if it is Houston and you want to break it up I would say Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL which is about half way. As for the GPS I would say yes so you can find food, gas, etc. . .

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I'm w/seeLSUrun, given the choice of Slidell or Covington I'd go with Covington. I worked for St. Tammany Sheriff's Office (where both these cities are located) and from my experience with these areas I'd say Covington. If you get off at Hwy.190 (the 2nd exit) turn left at the 1st traffic light and there's a nice Homewood Suites that's not expensive and pretty nice. Since we moved away we've stayed at this hotel a few times and it's been very comfortable and quiet for us. Plus, there's a Starbucks right up the road. I can also fill you in on Starbucks locations as far as Pensacola. That's how I map my trips. LOL!

From the Beaumont, Texas area (that's where we are now) Covington is about 4 to 5 hours away. Try to time it so you are NOT passing thru Baton Rouge during rush hour. The traffic there is absolute insanity. Baton Rouge is about 3 or so hours from Beaumont. Gulfport/Biloxi, Mississippi is probably 5 to 6 hours, Mobile, Alabama roughly 7 hours, and Pensacola, Florida is approximately 8 or 9 from Beaumont. I don't know how long it would take you to get to Beaumont from Alice or what route you would take. I'm not familiar with South Texas. You'd have to calculate those travel times. I know the route from here to Pensacola very well...I have a LOT of family there. Also consider how long it will take you to drive on day 2. We drove from Covington to Tallahassee one night after work and it was brutal. On day 2 we had a quick jaunt on down to WDW which was awesome! Returning home that trip we drove straight thru to Pensacola, spent a night at my gramma's house, then headed on back to Covington. :cool:

Upvote 0

Clarice33

Original Poster
Yes, we are about 45 miles from Corpus Christi. Thanks for the help, ya'll are much nicer than other boards I've been on! Alice to Houston then I-10 to Florida is the plan!

Upvote 0

360rico1

If you stop in Pensacola at exit 17 there is a Ramada at the top of the off ramp it is easy access off and on the interstate I have never stayed there but I live 2 mile from it and it looks conveinent.

Upvote 0

Atta83

My parents are driving in from the Austin area. Last year they stopped in Lake City. This year they are starting the drive around 8 am and are going to stop in the tallahassee area and then continue to drive down to the kissimmee area.

Upvote 0

disneynut4u

We drive in from Shreveport, LA. We go down I-20 then head down in Mississippi, coming into Mobile. We used to stay in Pensacola Beach, so the kids could play in the ocean (gulf). After Ivan hit Pensacola, the hotel we liked was destroyed and the ones that are left are very expensive. We now go down to Panama City Beach. Most of the hotels are more reasonably priced and right on the beach. It's an hour off I-10, but well worth the drive once we get to the beach. The hotel we stayed at last year was ok for under $100, but got really bad reviews this summer, so I'm afraid to stay there when we go down in May. There is a lot more to do in Panama City Beach in my opinion. We did stop in Tallahassee one year at Ramada off I-20. We will NOT be doing that again. The 2 rooms we were put in were in the very back of the hotel, (despite being nearly deserted), and when we got in the rooms, there was a moldy smell and some other smell we could never figure out. Requested another room and was the same. We ended up sleeping ON TOP of the bedspread. We just did not feel clean there.

Upvote 0

MR. DISNEY

I'm from NJ so I have no idea where to stop but, I can tell you about a GPS. I drive from NJ about 17 hrs. I got one and I wanted to use it before I want so I put in an address of somewhere I know how to get to and we were off. I got to a turn I was going to make and the GPS didn't want me to turn. I followed the directions of the GPS. I ended at my destination 20 min. early. I was happy with how easy it was to use. When I left for Fla. I hooked it up and put in the address and off I went. Well 3 hours into the trip over head signs on I-95 say Road closed at exit 29. When we go to the exit you hade to get off 95 and find your way. No detours just go. I used the detour option on the GPS and I never had to stop. I would DEFFENATLY GET A GPS. Mine is Magellan.

Upvote 0
I have driven from Houston to Orlando lots of times. I usually drive straight through to the MK but with a family of 4 I can see why youd want to stop. I wouldnt stop anywhere before reaching Florida because even after you get into FLorida you still have 8 hours to go.

About buying a GPS, I wouldnt. The drive is very easy Youre on I-10 the majority of the time except for an hour when you get on I-12 (which saves you 3 hours) when you hit florida you go down 75 all the way to I-4. It's very easy.

Upvote 0
Where to stop depends a lot on what time you are leaving. If you leave at 6 a.m. CST, you could reasonably be at WDW at 10 p.m. EST. But that is 19 hours on the road.

I would try to get as far as possible so you don't have to drive too much on day two. I would not stop before Pensacola. Tallahasee & Lake City are good goals.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

You can stop in Mobile. A lot of motels there.
However, see if you can make it into Florida.
Along I-10 there are motels at Crestview and at Milton.
Maybe some others.
Do a search on the web for Hampton Inns or Comfort Inns or Holiday Inn Express.
That will show you where the clusters of motels are.

We have made that drive several times. With adults only it's possible to do it in one day but it can get dangerous if you start getting sleepy.
Better to stay overnight somewhere and break up the trip.
Coming back, you are more tired.

The longest stretch of road seems to be, for me, from Tallahassee over to I-75. Just long straight interstate.

You really don't needs a GPS system unless you want to get one for other uses also.
Basic directions:
I-10 East to I-75. I-75 to Florida's Turnpike.
Be careful in Baton Rouge. You do have to take I-12 for a while; otherwise you accidentally go into New Orleans (done that).

Print out a google map.

Good luck.
:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom