Testing a new truck prototype at Kilimanjaro Safaris

JIMINYCR

i always figured the bumpy was because it was supposed to be authentic...
It's part of the fun. Why ruin the theming ? Guess Disney's going to change their description from:
Climb aboard an open-air safari vehicle and hang on tight as you take off on a guided tour into the African outback—where over 34 different species of exotic African wildlife seemingly roam free. As your bumpy transport makes its way through rugged terrain,
To: These are coach-style buses. The seats are plush velour, with armrests and footrests, two by two down the aisle.
IMG_5012-001-300x200.jpg

Monorail Mike

I believe the new vehicles are made by Ford. Disney has an exclusive contract with GM for light and medium-duty vehicles, but they're allowed to bid out their heavy-duty contracts.

Makes sense since GM stopped producing medium-duty trucks back in 2009. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_Truck_Assembly) I also noticed the trucks used for the Wild Africa Trek are de-badged Ford F-450s.

Tip Top Club

It's part of the fun. Why ruin the theming ? Guess Disney's going to change their description from:
Climb aboard an open-air safari vehicle and hang on tight as you take off on a guided tour into the African outback—where over 34 different species of exotic African wildlife seemingly roam free. As your bumpy transport makes its way through rugged terrain,
To: These are coach-style buses. The seats are plush velour, with armrests and footrests, two by two down the aisle.
IMG_5012-001-300x200.jpg

Uhm... As has been stated, it's still going to be bumpy, they aren't changing the rough and rugged roads, just new suspension versus fifteen year old suspension. Nothing is changing.

Captain Hank

Yay for new trucks! The KSR trucks are really starting to show their age in more ways than just bumpiness. Keep in mind that they're driven 8-10 hours a day, 365 days a year on an extremely rough road. New trucks should definitely improve the efficiency of the attraction (as well as the comfort of the drivers, from what I'm hearing).

Dale85

The only real difference in the new trucks is they have air suspension vs. coil suspension, so yes, a lot less bumpy. The cab where the driver sits is roomier and has nicer amenities (nicer seats, A.C. that actually works, etc.)

Scooter

While I get that people like the bumpy ride for the authenticity factor, I think that once people get their cameras out, they tend to focus less on the realism, and more on getting that "Good photo" of the animals so I don't think that this new less bumpy ride will upset many people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom