Testing a new truck prototype at Kilimanjaro Safaris

dreamscometrue

Just less bumpy. These trucks will slowly phase in literally one by one over a long period of time. Look for new technology to make the drivers lives easier, as well as enhancements to the show in preparation for a large influx of attendance at that park (aka Avatar)

Do you think new vehicles are also being brought in as preparation for the planned night safari? Perhaps they will be equipped with enhancements for the night time safari.

RMichael21

These new vehicles will definitely help enhance the rider's experience. I am wondering one thing though, will these vehicles be exactly the same or with minor differences? Sorry if this answer has already been posted.

Skibum1970

My wife has a back problem and she has been able to ride KS without any trouble. Yes, they're a little bumpy but they also are not being driven on concrete/asphalt. Besides, flying out of truck lends "extra magic time" to the ride. Kind of like the knuckleheaded giraffe that held us up for what seemed like 15 minutes.

Mouse_Trap

Bumpy is cool. It IS authentic. But if they could only slow down just a liiiitle bit more. And get like, twice as many animals. ;)

Yeah I wish they would slow down a little more quite often. I'm sure I have heard mentioned the last few times that the can't stop.

However I am sure when I first rode it they occasionally stopped, especially if they saw an interesting animal nearby or in the open.

Do the drivers have latitude to slow down/stop depending upon the length of the queue? Anyone know?

openendedsky

Yeah I wish they would slow down a little more quite often. I'm sure I have heard mentioned the last few times that the can't stop.

However I am sure when I first rode it they occasionally stopped, especially if they saw an interesting animal nearby or in the open.

Do the drivers have latitude to slow down/stop depending upon the length of the queue? Anyone know?
Drivers are allowed to make a certain number of show stops, but only for a certain length of time.

EpcoTim

So at a quieter time, presumably there is less trucks out and more latitude to make more stops/slow down maybe?

I don't think so. Even during frigid extra morning hours with absolutely no line they were blistering the trucks through. The driver even mentioned several times that she couldn't stop or slow down for any reason. Til a giraffe blocked the road. Then she started having a mild freak out. With each passing minute that we sat there her voice started to crack and shake more and more. Didn't help that there were two Disney higher-ups doing evaluations in the back row, but it seemed painfully obvious that the drivers had be warned to not slow down in the slightest.

jakeman

They have always been instructed not to stop. However, there is a good deal of autonomy out on the ride path, so each driver has their own version of "not stopping".

I don't think so. Even during frigid extra morning hours with absolutely no line they were blistering the trucks through. The driver even mentioned several times that she couldn't stop or slow down for any reason. Til a giraffe blocked the road. Then she started having a mild freak out. With each passing minute that we sat there her voice started to crack and shake more and more. Didn't help that there were two Disney higher-ups doing evaluations in the back row, but it seemed painfully obvious that the drivers had be warned to not slow down in the slightest.
Then that was either a bad driver or bad managers to have that amount of stress involved if an animal is in the way. It can been "stressful" in the looses sense of the word if you are behind an animal to try and keep the guest entertained, but not because of cycle times.

Just curious how you know they were doing evaluations on the driver?

EpcoTim

Just curious how you know they were doing evaluations on the driver?

I don't know for sure and I shouldn't have spoke in absolutes, but I was in the second to last row and they were right behind in the last row. Scribbling away the entire ride. Couldn't read anything they had written though-awful penmanship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom