Test Track

jcldtrek

Original Poster
Was just wondering how test track is. Also wanted to know how the part of it is when the car excelerates up to 60mph. was thinking of going on it, was just wondering how it is.

jmvd20

When TT is actually working and not broke down it is a great ride. The end of the ride where it accelerates to 60 is my favorite part. It is not like a typical roller coaster with hills etc... Feels more like accelerating very fast in a convertible, that's the best way I can describe it. Flat track but it does have some banked curves. If you are worried about intensity it is not bad at all. If you can ride Thunder Mtn or Space you'll be just fine.

It is a must do in my opinion.

MissM

Test Track opens with "tests" including going over bumpy road surfaces, ABS (sudden braking) tests, handling through curves, heat lamps and cold. The final stretch is the track you see outside of the building. It goes out, then around, then banks at a good angle for a peak speed of around 65mph. It's really smooth, really fun and not at all like a coaster. If you know the sensation you get when you ride Big Thunder - that speed-through-a-curve feeling? - then you know what Test Track is like, only it's faster. Sadly, it doesn't last long enough, but it's definitely a lot of fun and worth experiencing. Short of a fear of cars basically, I don't think anyone would have problems really with the ride.
-m

EpcotMark

Does Test Track Have Any Point?

Does Test Track Have Any Point?:lookaroun

I mean, I like the ride, but it showcases the "current" testing facilities at GM and has nothing to do with future cars or technology or future world. The only save is the very small hydrogen fuel cell model at the end. Why doesnt GM get more involved with alternative fuels? Their company is going down the drain, and they should take the initiative, feel a sense of ownership, and take a step forward. They could start by theming Test Track as a ride with cars of the future. Keep the ride, just modify the theme with preshow video etc. This would satisfy the Epcot need, the GM profit flunking problem, and desires to explore more energy alternatives in this age of ridiculous gas prices. Write letters people. Or better yet, you film buffs, create another "Roger and Me" film.

Graci23

Hey All,

Personally i think Test Track is far to overhyped of an attraction. Especially if you deal with a long wait to ride it. Most of the ride is in doors doing basically nothing but testing brakes and some bumps here and there. You wait the whole ride to experience the fast part outside which last about 10 seconds. To me this ride could have been designed way better. You definatly want to experience it once but they made it far milder than an exciting thrill ride it could and should have been. Just my opinion folks. I love these message boards. Talk to everyone again soon !

CThaddeus

I'm with you EpcotMark and Graci23. I drive my car to work on a freeway every day in Orange County, California. I get plenty of braking, hot, cold, and sporadic moments of speed. I really don't feel a need to do it while I'm at EPCOT. There's nothing futuristic about riding in a lurching/speeding car. It's really just Autopia (which doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, either...but that's a whole other thread) on crack. I think the only thing I caught in the pavilion that was even remotely related to Future World was in the very lame mini-ride in the GM showroom (I can't even recall its name anymore). It involves a toy Hummer (the biggest gas-guzzler tank in existence) wanting to be a real Hummer someday, and they mention the possibility of a future fuel. Is it just me, or is the idea of a Hummer promoting fuel conservation just a little ridiculous?
Anyway, the question was, how is the ride? Intensity-wise, as I mentioned earlier, it's like being in your car. Because the attraction's car is smaller, when you take the turns it feels faster than it really is. It's really rather tame, though you can get whipped around a bit during some of the braking, swerving, etc. tests indoors. But honestly, it is my least favorite attraction in EPCOT, with the possible exception of Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment. Most people disagree with me though. I think the speed factor (all 30 seconds of it) makes this an enjoyable ride for them. So, you'll undoubtedly enjoy it, too. Me, I want World of Motion back...

brertigger

I am sure you would enjoy the ride. It is not too rough.
Yes, the fast part is short, but it is a lot of fun, especially when it is very windy outside.

The car begins its acceleration right before the barrier test. You go from 0 to whatever speed you are at the beginning in a few seconds (not real fast, but a good rate of speed). You are speeding up to 60 during the whole time outside (you are not at 60 the whole time).

By the way, don't get scared off during the preshow video. They mention "high speed loops." By this, they mean the circling of the building, not going upside down. This scared a friend who had never been on it (and hate going upside down). Later that evening, we decided to go back on it (her mom came this time also). Her mom does not like going upside down either. We told her that they were just referring to the outside circle around the front of the building. Then, we decided to be a little mean, so we told her (after all of us were buckled in and the ride was starting) "Oh yeah, actually, there are two times you go upside down in the ride." We of course told her we were just kidding after a little while. She was not amused. (We were though :lol: ).

ScrapIron

EpcotMark said:
Does Test Track Have Any Point?:lookaroun

I mean, I like the ride, but it showcases the "current" testing facilities at GM and has nothing to do with future cars or technology or future world.

Well, it is a step forward in that World of Motion was mostly about transportation of the past, although it was the only thing in Epcot that interested me enough to ride twice in 1983.

TT is a well done attraction, but didn't live up to expectations. It was interesting to go through the first few scenes, but it's not something I feel compelled to ride repeatedly. Don't find much excitement to being in a car going 60MPH since I was in a car on the freeway going 80MPH just to get to the park. I don't even remotely consider it a thrill ride, although I'll ride again next visit. Single rider is the way to go.

Cheers.

Testtrack321

To each it's own, but I find TT to be extremly well designed and a great attraction. It's educational (if you don't close your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears), it's fun, and it's unique. Far more education than Soarin' or M:S, yet not prechy like UoE can get.

I love it and ride it over and over again. Not overhyped IMHO (atleast notw, back in 1999 it was the second coming of Jesus, which I disagree about...)

Tiki_Tiki_Tiki

for my personal opinion i thought TT was an extreme let down....

i never once felt like i had to hold on to the bar in front of me

the part where the car goes from zero to 60 was much less exhilarating as RnRC

not that good of a ride in my opinion

the-reason14

brertigger said:
I am sure you would enjoy the ride. It is not too rough.
Yes, the fast part is short, but it is a lot of fun, especially when it is very windy outside.

The car begins its acceleration right before the barrier test. You go from 0 to whatever speed you are at the beginning in a few seconds (not real fast, but a good rate of speed). You are speeding up to 60 during the whole time outside (you are not at 60 the whole time).

By the way, don't get scared off during the preshow video. They mention "high speed loops." By this, they mean the circling of the building, not going upside down. This scared a friend who had never been on it (and hate going upside down). Later that evening, we decided to go back on it (her mom came this time also). Her mom does not like going upside down either. We told her that they were just referring to the outside circle around the front of the building. Then, we decided to be a little mean, so we told her (after all of us were buckled in and the ride was starting) "Oh yeah, actually, there are two times you go upside down in the ride." We of course told her we were just kidding after a little while. She was not amused. (We were though :lol: ).

Thats funny, lol:lol:

TheMagicMouse

Personally I enjoy it, when you watch it from the outside the first time you go on it, it can kinda freak you out because it looks like it's going insanely fast, but once you go on it, it's not really that intense, and while it is pretty fast, it isn't scary.

magicfan

To me, Test Track is a must-see on your first visit to Epcot. I do go on it on nearly every visit, but it is not one of my favorite rides. I mean, it's just like a convertible on the freeway. I can do that at home. I can go on an old brick road and get more bumps. I guess it'd be fun for those who haven't experienced those things. I do believe it's overrated only because it isn't soemthing I'd wait in a 1-2 hour line for. But that's just me.

Yes, definately do it if you never have.

RonAnnArbor

I kinda like Test Track -- but I agree with the poster who said it is the same as driving your car on a regular day -- I agree...there is absolutely nothing on the attraction that I don't experience over the course of a typical year in Detroit, stops, starts, bumps, slides across ice, extreme heat and extreme cold (sometimes on the same day) and a speed limit that is 70 mph, which means the average speed here on the highways is 80, a good 15-20 mph faster than Test Track. I do enjoy the final spin out and around, but even that is slower than a trip down I-94. It's an attraction that is fun, but nothing special. They spent a lot of money on it, it breaks down frequently (just like a lot of other GM cars in general) but it is a fun attraction none the less.

KaliSplash

To those who claim that TT is overhyped, it depends on your reference.

If you are looking for something to compete with Dueling Dragons or (pick your favorite 'i'm gonna die' roller coaster), then yes, it's overhyped.

But as Disney attractions go, yes, it's a thrill ride. Which does NOT mean it compares with amusement park rides that see how many times they can flip you, it means it's more thrilling that It's A Small World!

This is true of virtually all Disney attractions. The idea of Disney attractions is something the whole family can enjoy. Which is why some people criticize the Rockin Roller Coaster, the Tower of Terror or Mission:Space as too intense for the whole family. And why thrill-seeking teens criticize them as not intense enough

MissM

Oh come on guys - it's not the same as driving in your car. Because when you're driving on I-4, you're not on a 50 degree banked turn at 65mph. It is a different experience. :rolleyes:

It's not some crazy, psycho thrill ride, no. But it is worth riding and the outside part is of course the best.
-m

magicfan

MissM said:
Oh come on guys - it's not the same as driving in your car. Because when you're driving on I-4, you're not on a 50 degree banked turn at 65mph. It is a different experience. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is fun. But it's only for, what, maybe 3 seconds?!? Now if the whole ride was that fast... :lol:

GenerationX

My sons and I love this attraction. As each son became tall enough to ride, Test Track quickly became one of their favorites. Even the queue (with a bunch of engines) and the pre-show waiting room (with schematics) is cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom