News Test Track to be reimagined

UNCgolf

I have a vivid childhood memory of the beginning of the ride.. "Why the hell is this thing going outside, that's weird". But it's moving soooo slow.

As a kid, it gave me the same feeling as being in a department store. It's better than being at home, it's close to the fun stuff, but it's more of a grown-up vibe

I loved it as a kid, but I loved basically all of Future World then. EPCOT is really the only reason I fell in love with WDW at all.

The Magic Kingdom was fine, but Pirates and Carousel of Progress were the the only attractions there I remember really loving as a kid (not that I didn't like others; but those were the two I really wanted to experience when I returned). I loved the Great Movie Ride and the old original Backlot Tour at Disney-MGM, plus the old Hollywood theming and the interesting stores they had back then, but there wasn't much else there.

EDIT: Forgot about 20K Leagues Under the Sea. That mesmerized me as a kid too but then it was gone.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Previously, seeing original characters such as Figment, the Country Bears, or even for many Br’er Rabbit, was part of the Disney experience, as it is a similar feeling to seeing a new Disney movie in theaters. You go to the theater and you meet Aladdin and his Genie, just as you go to the park and meet Dreamfinder and Figment.
I guess so... you meet who Aladdin is but you don't meet him...I wish lol 🤣

Mickeynerd17

Concrete footers are being poured for the new canopy. Photo from blogmickey.

test-track-new-entrance-10012024-5-1068x601.jpg

Mickeynerd17

Journey of water, Cosmic rewind, space 220, Awesome planet, Ratatouille, Canada far and wide, Luminous are all solid to me.
Ok, an argument can be made for Rat, awesome planet, canada, and to a much lesser extent JoW, but thats it.

Space 220, while a very cool idea that was well-executed, should've been saved for a new and larger space pavilion to replace M:S. What we got was essentially another Coral Reef but with screens instead of a water tank.

JoW is a great idea in the wrong location. It would've made more sense placed between the Land and the Seas. it is all about the water cycle, which involves both the ocean and the land. It would've been a much more natural fit there. Additionally, JoW plays into the much larger disaster of the hub redo.

Cosmic Rewind looks like a fun attraction, but 1. Wrong location for the IP IMHO, 2. They could've had the energy theme in the ride utilizing the opening scene of the second film while not bending over backwards to ground the attraction in the park and keeping separation of themes instead of 2 space pavilions like we have now, and 3. The coaster building is UGLY. No way around it. It will remain an eyesore until the day its torn down. No amount of sky blue paint can hide that behemoth.

Lumious would be an excellent show for another park like DCA and WDSP. While it is an improvement over Harmonious, it doesnt even come close to Illuminations. While Illuminations was designed off of the spirit of human cooperation and optimism that created EPCOT in the first place, Luminous doesn't have that. Nothing in Luminous to me communicates those themes and I consider that a loss.

Don't get me wrong, Its not a bad show. I just consider the entire debacle completely unnecessary when all that was needed was some tech upgrades to IROE and perhaps a new globe barge.

The hub area is another complete mess I won't go any farther into.

So yes, the new Test Track to me is the most positive EPCOT thing to happen in a good bit. I pray I'm not wrong about that because we really need this ride to work or more of this wonderful park will be mangled just like DCA and WDSP have been.

DreamfinderGuy

Was World of Motion really popular enough to warrant more than just some winks and nods in this? Genuine question not at all trying to be sarcastic.

I was not alive to ever see it so I can only go by what people talk about in regards to old EPCOT. It’s not usually one of the ones I hear brought up a ton, at least not to the extent that Horizons and the original Imagination do.
World of Motion was EPCOT's second most popular attraction in the early 90s, only behind Spaceship Earth (which makes sense considering it was the only attraction you *had* to walk past when visiting the park back then). Part of that is likely because it was the highest capacity thing at EPCOT and rarely had a wait, but yes, it was very popular.

PizzaPlanet

I wasn’t alive for World of Motion and have no doubts it was great. But not making the transportation pavilion a thrill ride from the beginning was a wild choice. Maybe the technology just wasn’t there yet…

Mr. Sullivan

World of Motion was EPCOT's second most popular attraction in the early 90s, only behind Spaceship Earth (which makes sense considering it was the only attraction you *had* to walk past when visiting the park back then). Part of that is likely because it was the highest capacity thing at EPCOT and rarely had a wait, but yes, it was very popular.
Thank you for the info!

Bocabear

It's not that they couldn't have made it a thrill ride, the park focus was different then...It was based on a World's Fair model... The story of transportation and how we got here was the gist, and that attraction thrilled millions it it's time. We all suffer from a super short attention span these days...sadly.
WOM was one of the most popular in the park and ALWAYS was packed.

Mickeynerd17

Was World of Motion really popular enough to warrant more than just some winks and nods in this? Genuine question not at all trying to be sarcastic.

I was not alive to ever see it so I can only go by what people talk about in regards to old EPCOT. It’s not usually one of the ones I hear brought up a ton, at least not to the extent that Horizons and the original Imagination do.
I'd personally say that WoM doesn't get talked about as much because test track was a much more solid replacement than other attractions in future world (Imagination, Horizons, etc).

Chef idea Mickey`=

Was Horizons third? Or Imagination

It's not that they couldn't have made it a thrill ride, the park focus was different then...It was based on a World's Fair model... The story of transportation and how we got here was the gist, and that attraction thrilled millions it it's time. We all suffer from a super short attention span these days...sadly.
WOM was one of the most popular in the park and ALWAYS was packed.
And Education, infact WOM had the most animatronics if I'm correct.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Lumious would be an excellent show for another park like DCA and WDSP. While it is an improvement over Harmonious, it doesnt even come close to Illuminations. While Illuminations was designed off of the spirit of human cooperation and optimism that created EPCOT in the first place, Luminous doesn't have that. Nothing in Luminous to me communicates those themes and I consider that a loss.
The only thing we have in common in Luminous is our voices and our heartbeat. We come together as one, no spirit or optimism of We Go On, Promise, "Hope!"

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

I feel like if there’s heavy WoM nostalgia happening, it’s because of the Imagineers themselves being obsessed with classic EPCOT. You have to imagine that the amount of park guests with nostalgia for WoM is very very, very low, and it’s not a cult-following ride like JII.
Is that a GM/Chevrolet decision. Is the entire ride going to be like a timeline journey through the evolution of Motion travel, I feel they are drawing inspiration back to Spaceship Earth with their's being Communication. I was going to sat you don't hear anyone mention World of Motion as you would Horizons or JII nor Communicore over Innoventions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom