Test Track tires

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I always wondered are the tires on the test track cars for show or does the track the cars are attached to do most of the work and if not do they ever have to change all those tires?

raven

I always wondered are the tires on the test track cars for show or does the track the cars are attached to do most of the work and if not do they ever have to change all those tires?

Yes. The pick-up bar (or bus bar) under the track provides electricity to the vehicle. Each vehicle has motors that turn the tires to provide the movement. The tires have to be rotated on each vehicle once every two days and are changed once a week.

AswaySuller

The tires are def real, need changing and get changed. I had an E-Stop on test track and was evacuated. It's kinda sad but there was a piece of rubber from one of the tires on the track and I took it for a souveneir

Vernonpush

I remember reading (on this site - the early years) when the ride was delayed for opening, one of the reasons was the wear on the tires.

trendicoff

Not only do the tires get changed, but with less regularity so do the other 14 "tires" on the test track cars. Stand under the track to the left of the entrance (towards the path to go backstage) and look at the cars as they pass over. You'll see that there are lots of wheels on the bottom of the car that help keep it on the track.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Has there ever been any crazy blowouts on that ride? I know the car wont spin out but there still could be a good show LOL. The amount of tires used makes me assume that there isn't to many cars on the track which would explain the line. I hope they can keep affording to change those tires.

Rob562

Has there ever been any crazy blowouts on that ride? I know the car wont spin out but there still could be a good show LOL. The amount of tires used makes me assume that there isn't to many cars on the track which would explain the line. I hope they can keep affording to change those tires.

I believe Test Track has 36 or 37 vehicles, of which I'd guess about 28-30 are in-use at any one time.

-Rob

trendicoff

Don't quote me on this, but if I had to guess I'd think it would be much more efficient in this situation to use solid rather than tube based tires. If that is actually the case, a tire could shred but not really blow out.

Next time you're riding, look down to the right as you round the bend outside and you can see in to the body shop. They tend to keep the doors open during the day.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Yes, and its entertaining. Unless you happen to stop on the steep bank directly above the entrance, and all the inbred window-licker ask imaginative questions like "are you stuck".

Tire Change

I remember reading in one of the Unofficial guide editions that originally the tires wore out once a week, and they had either GM or Goodyear (can't remember which) redesign the tire so they only had to change once a month.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Yes, and its entertaining. Unless you happen to stop on the steep bank directly above the entrance, and all the inbred window-licker ask imaginative questions like "are you stuck".

Are you stuck LOL... I guess I am stuck if I can walk off the ride, back into Epcot probably with a free fast pass in my pocket.

epcot85

I picked up a piece of TT tire at the entrance one time...then a couple years later I saw a Epcot pin that had a very small piece of a TT tire on the pin...well in a little clear bubble on the pin....based on the size of the tire piece I picked up and the cost of the pin that makes the small chuck I picked up worth about $250.00

flavious27

I picked up a piece of TT tire at the entrance one time...then a couple years later I saw a Epcot pin that had a very small piece of a TT tire on the pin...well in a little clear bubble on the pin....based on the size of the tire piece I picked up and the cost of the pin that makes the small chuck I picked up worth about $250.00

We saw those pins our last time down, they looked tacky with the tire inside.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster

I bet they would be cheaper if General Motors still payed for all those tires. I have a pebble sized piece of cement that was chipped off the Fountain of nations during its refurbishment, I wonder how much thats worth LOL?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom