Test Track refurb???

alphac2005

What c-one said.

On the flipside, classic EPCOT's design has stood the test of time extraordinary well. Almost unbelievably so. It still looks as majestic, powerful, profound as when it was build. Timeless.

6912044836_221f05b8d8.jpg

This is one of those images that captures what was so right and really brilliant about the architecture of the World of Motion pavilion building. Simple, sleek, elegant. Not cluttered. A simple and clear vision of the wheel and it's relationship to the automobile without question to be told from the building.

Less is more. The building alone told a story and features like lighting and winding omnimover spiral were excellent. Oh well, at least we have some pictures. Then again, unlike Horizons, at least there is something to show of it's former self.

Our world seems to be dominated be screens, clutter, and just endless junk. Sometimes simple is what works because within that simplicity is actually a lot of complexity.

td1129

• ST2 - Burbank forced TDO that they had to do film and queue. TDO wanted to value engineer it
  • TT2 - GM knew it needed updating, paid for and manufactured parts for the update. TDO had no choice otherwise they would be paying for yet another pavilion in Epcot.
  • FLE - Burbank forced it through much against the wishes of JR and TDO, and opted to do the cheapest of the plans
  • Projection castle show - I believe I read someone saying that TDO weren't all that pleased with the fact people once they viewed it once weren't interested in seeing again, so they changed it. Is it as good as DLP?Nope.
See how many of these decisions are either forced on TDO outright or we end up with a 'valued engineered' version.

I'll praise TDO from the rooftops when all the attractions around property have the majority of effects working on a constant basis! When unique merchandise actually is only available from the land or ride shop and not having Mickey back-scratcher's available in Main Street, Frontierland, Mouse Gear, DHS! When a new attraction isn't value engineered to a M+G!

This whole post made me laugh

td1129

Yeah yeah, everyone pile on and keep living in your own world where it's impossible for TDO to do anything right. Maybe some more great attractions will keep pooping up out of nowhere despite their efforts to ruin their own parks. Truly a bizarre bunch on here.

WDITrent

TDO is not trying to run their parks into the ground, and most of the "bizarre bunch on here" understand that. But it's obvious that what they claim about GM being mostly responsible for the new Test Track is defensible by all reports. It's not an attempt to demonize TDO. What it is is an attempt to keep the facts straight and keep the sugarcoats off. The Test Track project by no means makes TDO any worse than it was. I can't see why it should. But TDO was also not the one that came in to save the day.

c-one

Wow...excellent explanation! Thanks for that. I'm excited for this attraction but I'm happy to see so many who long for old Epcot Center, to be so excited for this refurb/makeover as well.

I do enjoy Future World, including 'newer' additions like Soarin' and 'Sum of All Thrills', as well as some of the older attractions, but I would have liked to have experienced Epcot 20 years ago. It always sounds really neat when described, and all that I've seen in Martin's vids looks awesome. Having said that, change would certainly be necessary to attract a new generation of fans. My daughter and her friends (in their early 20s)-who have been going to WDW for quite a few years-have always said that although they love Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land, they certainly wouldn't want a whole park of old school omnimover and boat rides. For them, Soarin, TT, M:S and Sum of All Thrills are necessary for a FW visit. Even if it was 2012 versions of 1982 attractions, I don't think this would attract many new fans to FW.
And another thing I should add about "classic Epcot" is that the utopian futurism extended to the concept of the rides, too. Again, it wasn't "future" in the sci-fi sense of rocketships, aliens and laser beams. Rides like World of Motion and Horizons took an honest-to-God look at how we live, from the past to a plausible future. (This concept lives to some extent in the current Spaceship Earth.) Again, radically different than any other theme park experience -- these rides didn't just entertain, they honestly made you think. Now the modern idea is a ride that simulates blasting off into space. Fun and thrilling, yeah, but as a concept it's been done since the very beginning of amusements.

From what I've read, it seems Test Track 2.0 is more about the old Epcot look, not so much the old Epcot ethos. But I haven't rode it, and I could be wrong. I think there's room to look at the future of automobiles and transit as they relate to environmental concerns, but that might get the "taxpayers paid for this rehab" crowd all bent outta shape. (Oops, politics, sorry)

But going to back to classic Epcot -- I've always thought that a relatively minor problem with Epcot was the seemingly disjointed couple of a park that's half Future World, half World Showcase. What's the link between the concepts? But in 80s/early 90s Epcot I'd argue the link was that the entire park's theme was society and communication. On the Future World side that manifested itself in the technology that builds a society. On the World Showcase side, it was the cultural side of society. And that's where I'll end my thesis project on retro Epcot.

Captain Hank

I got the chance to experience Test Track 2.0 a few nights ago and was really impressed. It looks absolutely fantastic. It's now probably one of the aesthetically best-looking pavilions in Epcot. The original version was meant to look gritty and industrial, whereas this is sleek, shiny and uber-designed all the way. There are tons of World of Motion logos hiding everywhere, by the way.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to participate in any type of design process, which was a little disappointing. As for the ride itself, it's really, really shiny. Very true to the concept art and very TRON-y. I was just a tiny bit disappointed in the lack of mechanical elements--the only things in the ride that physically moved besides the vehicles were the barrier test (now power test) doors. To be fair, the original ride didn't have too many animated props either. There were a few things that were obviously not yet working--especially in the environmental chambers. Also, a few of the screens weren't up and running. The projections are very well-rendered and crisp, and extremely immersive. Again--it's pretty. Eye candy is EVERYWHERE.

The new soundtrack is also very good, both in the queue and on the ride itself. No more clanging and ratcheting. Lots of tricorder-style beeps and chirps coming from the vehicle.

All in all, an excellent addition to Epcot that sets the bar pretty darn high design-wise.

Edit: oh, and the laser trees are super-cool.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Man people here get upset when TDO does a good job. It's fascinating to watch.

I think everyone here genuinely wants TDO to do a good job every single project they work on. That being said its been admitted via major news networks, various insiders, etc that GM had the lead here and designed what is said to be a great experience. Does TDO deserve the majority of the credit on this... No but they too did a good job taking the vision and building it. I honestly think you're off base to criticize us for saying job well done to GM. On the same token you are looking to give credit to TDO blindly in the same fashion you accuse everyone else of doing for GM. I'm not trying to flame you or anything but I just want you to give a hard thought to all of this. GM truly does deserve credit on this project and I think regardless it shows something to TDO. They were involved in a very popular revamp and they might reconsider their outlook on both the importance and advantages of corporate sponsorships and how they go about building a ride (or revamping one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom