Test Track Needs Love

UNCgolf

I think the last two are befitting of EPCOT despite their flaws.

I think the idea of a space ride in general is befitting of EPCOT, but Mission: Space feels more like a Tomorrowland attraction (although that may just be because Tomorrowland previously had similar attractions). I realize it's a trip to Mars (at least Orange is), but it doesn't really feel futuristic. The lack of any real space pavilion around it doesn't help either, but that's a separate issue.

The Aracuan Bird

I think the last two are befitting of EPCOT despite their flaws.
Theme wise, most certainly. I think current Soarin is okay. It’s not the only ride in the pavilion either. There are so many cool things you can do with a Space pavilion. An observatory, space stations, hypothetical human development on other planets. Mission: Space doesn’t even scratch the surface, and is incredibly restrictive. A grand dark ride through outer space could be amazing. They could even incorporate iconic Disney robots (ie. Wall-e) in similar ways to how the robot butler on Horizons was featured.

But is it a priority? No. Imagination probably needs to be addressed first.

Little Green Men

The idea of the sim car is great. But as mentioned earlier by @RSoxNo1 , the idea did not translate well to the actual ride experience.

But as is, it’s a lot more excusable compared to Journey Into Office Rooms, Where’s Waldo (Nemo)?, Mission: BARF, and Soarin Over Crooked CGI Landmarks.
What was the sea cabs theme? Watch the same aquarium for two mins you’re about to explore anyway?

celluloid

What was the sea cabs theme? Watch the same aquarium for two mins you’re about to explore anyway?

One minor part. The efficient moving mid show of an entire concept of of a Sea Base in the future. And at least the views of the Aquariums were not half or more obscured and blacked over like the current ride.
It was one minor part of the entire experience that at the time (1986) was pretty impressive. It was never billed as the main part of the attraction. Hydrolators, Air Lock and other demonstrations were abound. The Sea Cabs were just a transition. Let us not compare that one minor aspect of an entire 1986 Pavilion to the others mentioned over a decade after or more recently as main attractions of a pavilion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One minor part. The efficient moving mid show of an entire concept of of a Sea Base in the future. And at least the views of the Aquariums were not half or more obscured and blacked over like the current ride.
It was one minor part of the entire experience that at the time (1986) was pretty impressive. It was never billed as the main part of the attraction. Hydrolators, Air Lock and other demonstrations were abound. The Sea Cabs were just a transition. Let us not compare that one minor aspect of an entire 1986 Pavilion to the others mentioned over a decade after or more recently as main attractions of a pavilion.
This. The Living Seas was in a way a forerunner of the design of Rise of the Resistance. A series of fully immersive, different but cohesive experiences to control guest flow, sell the story and tell the tale.

ppete1975

Part of me thinks it would be cool to go through a car assembly line and see how cars are built. See how robotics are used and then at the end take us through a time tunnel (so you can add a thrill cause you need that now) and have a futuristic scene of what cars and transportation will look like in 20-30 years and how GM will lead the way.

begood524

I rode this two days ago and I have to agree with the original poster, the only adjective I could use to describe this ride right now is "tired." It seemed like every car that I rode in had something wrong with it, the number of effects that didn't work was very disappointing, and the outdoor section looks so unbelievably dirty and worn out. Also, it really bothers me how cars now inch forward past the seat belt check and stop at the bottom of the hill climb and the audio goes out of sync, so you climb the hill in silence and the music only plays for half of it; it's been like this for a few years and it's so frustrating that it hasn't been fixed yet. I really hope that this ride gets TLC very soon because it really needs it.

DoleWhipDrea

Isn't Splash Mountain still missing an animatronic? Methinks Disney's matienence crew was among the layoffs...
Every department had cutbacks in light of COVID. That being said, WDW has been going on a hiring spree...perhaps the maintenance crew will be expanded and attractions like Test Track will get some more love. Since re-opening, it's seemed as though things would get fixed park by park at a time.

Also very much speculating here, but due to the layoffs and subsequent replacements of employees, those in charge of maintenance may not know what the attraction is supposed to look and sound like when everything is working. How many busted effects remain busted for years simply because people didn't know that it was busted in the first place? I'd hope not, but I've heard of this sort of thing happening in the past.

peter11435

Every department had cutbacks in light of COVID. That being said, WDW has been going on a hiring spree...perhaps the maintenance crew will be expanded and attractions like Test Track will get some more love. Since re-opening, it's seemed as though things would get fixed park by park at a time.

Also very much speculating here, but due to the layoffs and subsequent replacements of employees, those in charge of maintenance may not know what the attraction is supposed to look and sound like when everything is working. How many busted effects remain busted for years simply because people didn't know that it was busted in the first place? I'd hope not, but I've heard of this sort of thing happening in the past.
There is extensive documentation for how things should be.

but as you say there are widespread staff shortages and spending cutbacks across the resort at the moment. Combined with several months of deferred work from last year they are playing catch-up with. It’s slowly getting better.

Last edited:

TransportationGuy

There is extensive documentation for how things should be.

but as you say there are extensive staff reductions and spending cutbacks at the moment. Combined with several months of deferred work from last year they are playing catch-up with. It’s slowly getting better.
The entire attraction quality/audit team was disbanded as a part of the layoffs. It’ll come back and things will get better, but WDW is not racing to add any ‘optional’ expense at this point

peter11435

The entire attraction quality/audit team was disbanded as a part of the layoffs. It’ll come back and things will get better, but WDW is not racing to add any ‘optional’ expense at this point
I feel this needs to be clarified so people don’t misunderstand. Operations still does their daily show review and engineering still works to correct issues that are reported. However they are obviously working with limited resources at the moment. Engineering still performs all of their required maintenance and inspections and quality assurance/sustaining engineering teams that monitor and inspect this work are still functioning. All levels of attraction safety auditing is still staffed and occurring as normal. The WDI show quality and awareness teams were largely cut for the team being and I’m assuming that is what you are specifically referring to.

MagicHappens1971

I feel this needs to be clarified so people don’t misunderstand. Operations still does their daily show review and engineering still works to correct issues that are reported. However they are obviously working with limited resources at the moment. Engineering still performs all of their required maintenance and inspections and quality assurance/sustaining engineering teams that monitor and inspect this work are still functioning. All levels of attraction safety auditing is still staffed and occurring as normal. The WDI show quality and awareness teams were largely cut for the team being and I’m assuming that is what you are specifically referring to.
The hippo on it’s a small world is calling out for this team. Lol, it’s eyes have broken for at least 3 years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom