Test Track Needs Love

ppete1975

I would absolutely argue that the Test Track Pre-Show / vehicle design screams OG EPCOT. The misstep in Test Track 2.0 was not further integrating those designs into the attraction itself. By lining the track with screens, they had the opportunity for us to race against our designs.
like some universal rides the preshow is sometimes better ;) test track just seems budget to me. Like it could be so much more. IF it didnt have the outside portion, would people even care about it?

Goof-Man

Don't get me wrong, sponsorships on rides has always seemed out of place. But the money that it provides the attraction is key as an external stake holder complaining about upkeep and presentation is far better than none. I personally do not care too much about cars, but the post show has always been interesting with cars or some concepts being displayed.

ppete1975

Don't get me wrong, sponsorships on rides has always seemed out of place. But the money that it provides the attraction is key as an external stake holder complaining about upkeep and presentation is far better than none. I personally do not care too much about cars, but the post show has always been interesting with cars or some concepts being displayed.
oddly disneyland was built on sponsors. Monsanto had several attractions (funny to think about now with the negative feelings towards the brand). The biggest issue is with the internet and the world becoming so much smaller you have the same issue you have in world showcase. People know more. China was exotic and the chance of you ever going there was slim, best you had was nat geographic magazine and maybe a show on pbs. Now you can watch videos anytime, research, and travel there like never before.

For sponsors, social media and the internet is a much better path to a consumer. Thats what made parts of it work in Epcot and even disneyland, companies could get their name in front of you and sound important. Thats no longer needed. Which is why disney needs to change what sponsorship means if they want the free money. I think that allowing them to have a space to show off their coming stuff, make announcements about new products in front or in the attractions (great advertising for Disney as well), and in the example of a kraft a place that they could try out products (new flavors of chips, or release new products as a test bed). They could even offer test marketing. "if you come into this room we will show you our new products" make them watch a short video and a questionnaire (thats valuable to a company). And in honesty you wouldnt even have to give them a sample or magnet or anything, you could make it feel like an experience. Its odd how people in an environment like that are more willing to fill out a questionnaire than they would be if you emailed it to them or had on your website.

Mickeynerd17

doesnt chiquita support the land although there is no mention in any spiels and i dont think the building has a lounge.. it might have expired though. I dont think its disneys intention, i just think they didnt offer the sponsors any reason to stay. I still feel there is alot to the siemens thing, but i dont want to hijack.
Chiquita sponsors just the Living with the Land boat ride, not the entire pavilion. The building does have a lounge on a third floor (above Garden Grill), but hasn't been used since Nestle in I believe 2009.

DreamfinderGuy

If it weren't for the simple fact that I don't have any hope that what would come next could be any better, I would be on board "Team Close TT". I feel like with GM on board that pavilion can stay somewhat EPCOT-ey, and with GM continuing their focus on electric cars a futuristic Test Track seems more relevant than ever. Unless Disney themselves objects, I could see them signing another long term agreement. With their recent WDW-centric ad campaign, it seems like GM continues to value their agreement with Disney to this day. How vastly EPCOT has changed since they last signed is the only thing that would make me think otherwise.

The Aracuan Bird

Out of everything in the park aside from Living With the Land, Test Track probably needs the least attention. It still needs attention, but it’s really nothing in comparison to the rest of the park.

ppete1975

If it weren't for the simple fact that I don't have any hope that what would come next could be any better, I would be on board "Team Close TT". I feel like with GM on board that pavilion can stay somewhat EPCOT-ey, and with GM continuing their focus on electric cars a futuristic Test Track seems more relevant than ever. Unless Disney themselves objects, I could see them signing another long term agreement. With their recent WDW-centric ad campaign, it seems like GM continues to value their agreement with Disney to this day. How vastly EPCOT has changed since they last signed is the only thing that would make me think otherwise.
excellent point about the gm ad campaign (too bad they dont tie that into the post show)

RSoxNo1

like some universal rides the preshow is sometimes better ;) test track just seems budget to me. Like it could be so much more. IF it didnt have the outside portion, would people even care about it?
A similar argument could be made about the original version for some people. I think they missed an opportunity to fix that side of things and lean into our vehicle designs. Having said that, I think the current version is more befitting of EPCOT than the original.

doctornick

I would absolutely argue that the Test Track Pre-Show / vehicle design screams OG EPCOT. The misstep in Test Track 2.0 was not further integrating those designs into the attraction itself. By lining the track with screens, they had the opportunity for us to race against our designs.

This. Absolutely. The designed cars need to be integrated much better into the rides (more than just a tally at the end of sections).

Also, agree with bringing back the hot and cold sections.

ppete1975

A similar argument could be made about the original version for some people. I think they missed an opportunity to fix that side of things and lean into our vehicle designs. Having said that, I think the current version is more befitting of EPCOT than the original.
world of motion or test track 1.0? Original can be confusing to me.

DoleWhipDrea

The first time I got to ride Test Track was the current version, and I was with another young couple. We were all new to EPCOT and Test Track was one of our favorite experiences from the whole park! We loved designing our cars. I would love to see the attraction lean into that more. With the technology today vs how it was when this version was built, I think there's a lot more they could do to make it feel like a more personalized experience.

I also enjoy checking out the cars in the post show (it's a shame a lot of the other games aren't operating at this point.) It's less pressure than walking into a car dealership.

The sponsorship model can work in everyone's favor if the companies are willing to really work together.

Whenever it does get a refresh, I hope the score in the queue gets a slight adjustment. It's nice - too much so. I end up getting really sleepy listening to it! It's rough when the ride has a longer wait 😅

Kevin_W

The first time I got to ride Test Track was the current version, and I was with another young couple. We were all new to EPCOT and Test Track was one of our favorite experiences from the whole park! We loved designing our cars. I would love to see the attraction lean into that more. With the technology today vs how it was when this version was built, I think there's a lot more they could do to make it feel like a more personalized experience.

Designing the car has always been my DD's favorite part of the experience, and it always irritates me when a CM tries to get the whole family onto one console for the design portion. Getting to make your own car (and compare it against family members) is part of the attraction. We usually go in through the exit and design a car at the station there before going onto the ride so that we all can do it.

It would be great if they could integrate this onto MDE - you have plenty of time in line to design your car.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Test Track 1.0 had a loose plot. Test Track 2.0 does not. Change that and it'll be a better attraction. Questions to ask: What's the purpose of designing a car in the queue? Why do we seemingly flip flop between the digital simulator world and the real world? What is the purpose of the tests? Etc.

I really like the visuals of 2.0 but that's about it.

Last edited:

The Aracuan Bird

Test Track 1.0 had a loose plot. Test Track 2.0 does not. Change that and it'll be a better attraction. Questions to ask: What's the purpose of designing a car in the queue? Why do we seemingly flip flop between the digital simulator world and the real world? What is the purpose of the tests? Etc.

I really like the visuals of 2.0 but that's about it.
The idea of the sim car is great. But as mentioned earlier by @RSoxNo1 , the idea did not translate well to the actual ride experience.

But as is, it’s a lot more excusable compared to Journey Into Office Rooms, Where’s Waldo (Nemo)?, Mission: BARF, and Soarin Over Crooked CGI Landmarks.

RSoxNo1

The idea of the sim car is great. But as mentioned earlier by @RSoxNo1 , the idea did not translate well to the actual ride experience.

But as is, it’s a lot more excusable compared to Journey Into Office Rooms, Where’s Waldo (Nemo)?, Mission: BARF, and Soarin Over Crooked CGI Landmarks.
I think the last two are befitting of EPCOT despite their flaws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom