Test Track is Ruined (spoiler alert!)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do think the screens at the end of each section which show the cars scores need to be much bigger, but that's the only thing I can think I would change...oh, and some audio on the loop outside the building.

party like it's 99

I actually really liked the modern twist the ride offered. The queue line, which is always long, was much more enjoyable experience without the bagging heads and other noises. Although all of this is cool at first, after forty minutes it gets pretty old. I'll grant it the games at the end of the ride weren't up to expected Disney status, but it was a great idea to incorporate the interactive experience of designing your own car. All in all I was really pleased with the renovation.

hiptwinmama

That is how EPCOT has always been.

Each pavilion was initially sponsored by a corporation who helped fund its construction and maintenance in return for the corporation's logos appearing prominently throughout the pavilion. For example, Universe of Energy was sponsored by Exxon from 1982 to 2004, and The Land was sponsored by Kraft from 1982 to 1993, then Nestlé from 1993 to 2009. Each pavilion contains a posh "VIP area" for its sponsor with offices, lounges, and reception areas hidden away from regular park guests. In the years since the park's opening, however, some sponsors have decided that the branding wasn't worth the cost of sponsorship and have pulled out, leaving some of the pavilions without sponsors. Disney prefers to have sponsors helping to pay the bills, so pavilions without sponsors have an uncertain future. After General Electric left Horizons in 1993, it closed for a couple of years, then reopened temporarily while neighboring attractions Universe of Energy and World of Motion were renovated. Horizons closed permanently on January 9, 1999 and was demolished in the summer of 2000 to make room for the opening of Mission: SPACE on October 9, 2003. Metlife sponsored Wonders of Life from 1989 to 2001, until that area was closed. However, the Wonders Of Life pavilion is still mostly intact and is used for both the Flower and Garden Festival and the Food and Wine Festival. Test Track opened in the World of Motion pavilion and is sponsored by Chevrolet.Mission: SPACE is sponsored by Hewlett-Packard. Spaceship Earth was sponsored by Bell System from 1982 to 1984, then AT&T (Bell System's parent company, following the Bell System Divestiture) from 1984 until 2003. It was not sponsored between 2003 and 2005. It is now sponsored by Siemens.

Tip Top Club

I Absolutely adore New Test Track!

Old Test Track looked like a junkyard industrial wasteland to me. New Test Track is sleek and fun, and while Yes it is a big advertisement, it's a cool big advertisement.

One thing: I took some friends who had never ridden it to ride it a few days ago and there were A LOT of issues. During the Design phase, several screens in the room just randomly shut down (Including Mine and my friends) and no one even said anything to us. This is a HUGE part of the attraction, and when a Cast Member finally did come by, they didn't say anything, and just kind of shooed us into the other room. I didn't really mind, I'd done it several times, but the people I was with were not happy. I had been hyping this aspect that I thought was great and it failed, without any apology.

Apparently it didn't even matter though, because we got to the ride, and the vehicle uploading wasn't even working. Each time we completed a test, there were six completely different cars on the screens. And then in the Post show, half of the areas weren't working.

This has now, In My opinion, Passed Splash Mountain as being the attraction with the most effects out. And it JUST opened. I'm willing to admit that I might have had ONE bad night, but that's not what I'm hearing from other locals. NOT. GOOD.

annmarz

Original Poster
From reading all the responses to my original post, I now see that I did not have the full experience. Obviously a lot of the effects were not working when I rode. I rode once in the single rider line and once in Fastpass so I think the design your vehicle was limited also. Wish I was still there so I could experience the full attraction.

GeneralKnowledge

I have to say that the new queue trumps the old queue, but the new ride is worthless. It's quite sad when the queue is the best part of an attraction.

...even sadder is that Ellen's Energy Adventure is the attraction I enjoy most at Epcot, followed by Living with the Land, and Maelstrom

(Missions Space gives me a headache, spaceship earth is borderline unbearable with Judi Wench, imagination needs no explanation, soarin has dirty film and an obnoxiously long obnoxious wait, Mexico is now a loud annoying boat ride, and the American Adventure was once inspirational but is now depressing considering the state of our nation and it's gloomy future)

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Sorry you didn't like it:( It is a bummer when something you like gets changed . I really like the new test track.... And yes..... I am a huuugggeeee Tron fan as well so I am sure that helps!!

Remember, changes aren't permanent but change is.
Thanks for this quote. For reasons that have nothing to do with this thread, I really needed to hear this now.

Oh, and I am really excited to experience Test Track 2.0. I loved the original, but anything that brings a bit of a futuristic vibe back to EPCOTCenter is ok by me!

Innovention

Rode the new TestTrack last week and I regret to say that I was very disappointed. :-(

My disappointment was not with the ride system, as this has remained exactly the same.

It was not with the branding- I expect and respect the sponsorship aspects of Disney attractions (how much more would admission be if the attractions weren't sponsored?... or how much less detailed?) I have heard tons of people complain about the Chevrolet branding; I guess no one noticed the GM branding previously??? (Do people know the are the same company?)

I thought the queue area was more boring compared to the old testing lab, but the new decor is nice to look at.

The interactive car designer was cute, and I can see how today's, impatient, tablet-oriented, video-game culture would appreciate that over looking at the more museum-like testing lab, but in reality I felt it was a complete waste if time- seemed like it took longer than the original pre-show and worst of all, in my opinion, had absolutely nothing to do with the ride itself, while pretending that it did...

Which bring me to why I did not like the ride as I used to... I felt that the new version lacks a solid premise.

The ride system by itself is a strange, jerky, stop and go roller coaster of sorts... The previous version of the ride put these motions into context. (At least better than they do now)...

"Let's do a hill climb"- the car goes up a hill.
"Let's test different road surfaces"- the ride gets bumpy.
"Let's test the anti lock brakes"- the car stops and slides a bit.

Then there were the tongue and cheek elements like the foreshadowing of the head on collision during both the pre show and the animatronic car crash (which didn't work most of the time) that you see just before the "barrier test."

The new visuals on the ride are very nice and I like the use of the technology: lasers, video projection mapping, but to me the elements were just there along-side the ride, and did not seem to complement or enhance it. I felt like the ride I was experiencing had no connection to what I was seeing and very little to what I was hearing.

...and back to the car designer aspect- I honestly didn't get how that was connected to the actual ride in any way.

I still think the ride is good, but I don't think the changes were an improvement. -sad.

UberMouse

I'm in the voting column for it being a better ride experience and TT-1 as well. My only issue was that, when we were there the second week of December, in 7 attempts to ride we only found ourselves actually riding twice. We were turned around the other 5 times do to technical glitches.

Prototype82

I just love that every loading station presents you with the World of Motion symbol the moment you sit down in your simcar. As soon as I saw that, I knew what I was getting myself into.

montyz81

SO disappointed with the reimagined Test Track. The old queue was so much more interesting. Now it is just a big commercial. The ride itself is just a dark ride with some neon. I almost missed seeing the truck near-collision effect. And those acid and cold tunnel effects were so fun. The educational aspects of how vehicles are tested is completely missing from the experience. The new interactive "choose your vehicle and see its performance" did not grab me at all. Some of the exhibits after the ride did not even work. Why oh why did they ruin this Epcot classic?
World of Motion was an Epcot Classic. TT2.0 is much closer to an EPCOT Center Classic then TT1.0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom