Teppan edo menu

Phonedave

Fried rice is a Chinese invention. It is not Japanese. Hence why it is not served at Teppan Edo. For those who have had teppanyaki in Japan, fried rice is not something that is ever served. The show is also kept to a bare minimum there, as it is more about watching the art of cooking.

The whole idea of teppanyaki involving a "show" is also an American invention - created by the founders of Benihana, most notably Hiroaki Aoki, father of famed DJ Steve Aoki.

I call BS on that reasoning. There are a LOT of things that Teppan Edo does and serves (as well as most American teppanyaki places) that is not done or served in Japan. To pick and choose "we don't serve fried rice because it is not authentic" while serving zucchini, chicken, and 'dipping sauces' is just looking for an excuse to not serve fried rice. Either make the whole thing authentic, or stop stating that is the reason for not having fried rice.

Hockey89

I call BS on that reasoning. There are a LOT of things that Teppan Edo does and serves (as well as most American teppanyaki places) that is not done or served in Japan. To pick and choose "we don't serve fried rice because it is not authentic" while serving zucchini, chicken, and 'dipping sauces' is just looking for an excuse to not serve fried rice. Either make the whole thing authentic, or stop stating that is the reason for not having fried rice.
We all know the real reason.... It turns the tables quicker or they would have the fried rice.... Not that it takes "long" but I'm sure it speeds it up enough to have the table turn over one more time a night would be my guess....

TrojanUSC

They serve lots of things that are not authentic, but not explicitly Chinese. Fried rice is a Chinese dish. That is why it's not served. They serve udon noodles instead, which is decidedly more Japanese.

It has little to do with "turning tables quicker." At most places it only takes a couple minutes, is cooked off to the side and the rice is served before anything else, anyways.

Hockey89

They serve lots of things that are not authentic, but not explicitly Chinese. Fried rice is a Chinese dish. That is why it's not served.

It has little to do with "turning tables quicker." At most places the takes 5 minutes, is cooked off to the side and the rice is served before anything else, anyways.
Having them say directly to me it’s because it takes longer so couldn’t disagree more. Sorry. It’s all about the money

TrojanUSC

Having them say directly to me it’s because it takes longer so couldn’t disagree more. Sorry. It’s all about the money

I've asked twice and know the former GM, who also told me the same thing. While their menu is not completely authentic in every respect, fried rice is a bridge too far. The noodles still have to be cooked on the grill, so they are saving at most 5 minutes? That's silly.

If you want to trust what one CM has to say about something, I highly reccomend you ask bus drivers future questions, you'll get some really colorful answers, too.

Phonedave

I've asked twice and know the former GM, who also told me the same thing. While their menu is not completely authentic in every respect, fried rice is a bridge too far. The noodles still have to be cooked on the grill, so they are saving at most 5 minutes? That's silly.

If you want to trust what one CM has to say about something, I highly reccomend you ask bus drivers future questions, you'll get some really colorful answers, too.

How is fried rice a bridge too far, and the other things I mentioned are not.

Heck, there is a Japanese version of fried rice - not usually part of a teppanyaki, but it exists.

Half the vegetables they serve are not in Japan.

Heck, why are they offering chicken?

To make fried rice the cultural hill they want to die on makes no sense. It may be what you were told, but I am calling it a BS reason.

TrojanUSC

How is fried rice a bridge too far, and the other things I mentioned are not.

Heck, there is a Japanese version of fried rice - not usually part of a teppanyaki, but it exists.

Half the vegetables they serve are not in Japan.

Heck, why are they offering chicken?

To make fried rice the cultural hill they want to die on makes no sense. It may be what you were told, but I am calling it a BS reason.

But... I've been to numerous high end teppanyaki places in Japan. Various noodles are served, generally yakisoba. So I'm not sure what the argument is here... they should be less authentic?

Phonedave

The poio
But... I've been to numerous high end teppanyaki places in Japan. Various noodles are served, generally yakisoba. So I'm not sure what the argument is here... they should be less authentic?

The argument is, you keep saying the reason they will not do fried rice is because it is not authentic. My point is that there is so much other stuff in that restaurant that is not authentic, that I highly doubt that is the reason, despite what you have been told.

If Teppan Edo cared so much about authenticity that they will not do fried rice, despite many people asking for it and this being Disney where the dining options cater the the middle of the road tourist tastes, yet they do other non-authentic things that are less in demand by the WDW clientele, then I highly doubt the real reason they will not do fried rice is because of some need to be authentic. They already a lot of other inauthentic things.

I really don't care one way or an other if they do fried rice or not. I just do not think the reason they don't is because of some desire for authenticity. Honestly I do not eat there. I find their food, authentic or not, to be sub-par.

TrojanUSC

The poio

The argument is, you keep saying the reason they will not do fried rice is because it is not authentic. My point is that there is so much other stuff in that restaurant that is not authentic, that I highly doubt that is the reason, despite what you have been told.

If Teppan Edo cared so much about authenticity that they will not do fried rice, despite many people asking for it and this being Disney where the dining options cater the the middle of the road tourist tastes, yet they do other non-authentic things that are less in demand by the WDW clientele, then I highly doubt the real reason they will not do fried rice is because of some need to be authentic. They already a lot of other inauthentic things.

I really don't care one way or an other if they do fried rice or not. I just do not think the reason they don't is because of some desire for authenticity. Honestly I do not eat there. I find their food, authentic or not, to be sub-par.

It's not that it's not authentic, it's that fried rice is literally a Chinese dish. They also aren't serving spaghetti and meatballs or cheeseburgers. While not common, it's also not unheard of for chicken to be served at teppanyaki restaurants in Japan (along with other less popular meats). So your argument lies on zucchini?

Last edited:

Phonedave

It's not that it's not authentic, it's that fried rice is literally a Chinese dish. They also aren't serving spaghetti and meatballs or cheeseburgers. While not common, it's also not unheard of for chicken to be served at teppanyaki restaurants in Japan (along with other less popular meats). So your argument lies on zucchini?

If you want to hang you hat on Teppan Edo being an authentic Japanese restaurant then go ahead. It is much closer to an Americanized "Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse" than it is to a Teppanyaki restaurant in Japan. They do also have fried rice in Japan - it's different and not served at a Teppanyaki restaurant, but they have it. The fact that they do all the other stuff at Teppan Edo that is not authentic - the ingredients, the sauces, the Mickey heads made out of onion, the comical antics, the crap pre-packaged sushi, all indicates that they don't care *that* much about authenticity.

That's my opinion, yours is different.

Hockey89

If you want to hang you hat on Teppan Edo being an authentic Japanese restaurant then go ahead. It is much closer to an Americanized "Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse" than it is to a Teppanyaki restaurant in Japan. They do also have fried rice in Japan - it's different and not served at a Teppanyaki restaurant, but they have it. The fact that they do all the other stuff at Teppan Edo that is not authentic - the ingredients, the sauces, the Mickey heads made out of onion, the comical antics, the crap pre-packaged sushi, all indicates that they don't care *that* much about authenticity.

That's my opinion, yours is different.
This convo has been as insane as when people say the DDP hasn't impacted food quality......

Indy_UK

So if I’ve never been to a Hibachi in my life, is this place at least worth a visit?

The nearest I’ve ever had to this kind of food is Wagamamas here in the UK but Teppan Edo sounds at least one visit

Lilofan

There was a case study done in business school on the magic of Benihana. Food waste brings down profits for restaurants. In Benihana there is pretty much zero food waste. What the chef cooks is what the customers pays for and eats.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is a tempest in a teapot. Teppan Edo is run not by Disney, but by the Mitsukoshi company, just like Tokyo Dining. They use whatever fresh produce is available, so you're going to get what grows in Florida which isn't most Japanese veggies. It's about the quality of ingredients. As to the Chinese vs Japanese rice argument, doesn't matter. Japanese use short-grain rice, and the Chinese use long grain rice. Most Americans eat long grain rice. As to the assertation the Sushi is prepackaged, just wander over to the Tokyo Dining side where you can watch the Shushi and Sashimi is prepared clearly open and visible to the diners.

wannabeBelle

Kobe Japanese Steakhouse has several locations near WDW.

LOVE Kobe!!!! Fried rice and noodles are also included with your hibachi dinner. Definitely well worth checking out. The one on Palm Parkway is the closest to Disney Springs, I think and there are several really close to Universal. All of the ones I have been to were great. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom