Tell me your experiences with a 2 year old at Disney

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Our son will be 1 years old in April. This fall just my wife and I plan on going out to Southern California and seeing Disneyland among other things for the first time. A lot of things have to work out for us to get out there alone but it is doable. We actually wanted to go out there in the fall of 2010 but she got pregnant sooner than we expected.

But while I always said I would wait until our kids were old enough to remember things before we took them to WDW I have to admit I am thinking differently now. He'll be two in April of 2013. He's a good kid, a good traveller and no one knows him better than his parents. I actually had him on a carousel at a fair when he was 5 months old. He was okay with it, but cried at the end.

I am wondering how he will react to WDW though. He loves Mickey as it is and I would love to see his reaction on certain rides. I figure my wife and I go with him and maybe bring my mother in law (who has never been). My parents have been so many times with me so I thought it would be nice to take someone new. Our plan is to stay offsite and go in April 2013 to avoid the spring break as much as we can. Not to mention I'll bring my own stroller.

But I want to hear experiences from others. How was your child at or around the age of two? Did they like it? Did you stay the whole day? Did they get cranky? Did they fall asleep during Spectro or Wishes? And how were they on the rides?

Also, other than the obvious ones of Splash Mountain or Space, etc., what rides can a two year old NOT go on? I figure Pirates and Haunted Mansion is okay as well. At Magic Kingdom there isn't a lot that a two year old can't experience off the top of my head

We took my daughter when she was about 1 1/2, it was just my me, my mother, & then 10yr old son. We went for us and my son, knowing she wouldn't remember it. She did really good though even if she doesn't remember it, she seemed to be having fun when we were there. My son and I got up early every morning and headed to the parks, while Gran and my daughter slept in. When my daughter woke my mother fed her something in the room, got her dressed, and then around 11 everyday we met them at the hotel food court for lunch before heading to the parks. This worked for us because we stayed on property at Pop though. She was able to stay in the park from 12 till about 8 most days, and even a little later a couple of times. She was able to ride everything and wasn't scared; except of course no ToT, SM, BTMR, Splash, RR, stitch, Star Tours, EE, Dinosaur, Soarin, Mission Space, and Test Track. We're leaving today headed back with me, my husband, my 11 yr old ( turning 12 on may), my mother in law, and 2 yr old daughter (3 in June). Can't wait because she can talk now and we have really been playing the trip up showing her movies, pictures, and telling about things she will see and ride. She seems really excited, she screams Disney at the top of her lungs when u ask her where we're going. I think she will be able to go to the parks in the morning and stay most of the day, especially with the strollers help. She really doesn't take naps anymore, but if we think she needs a break with 3 adults it shouldn't be a problem for one of us to take her back to the room for a nap since we're staying at Pop again. I think taking your 2 yr old should work out fine, but I would recommend staying on property even if u have to do a value resort (love the Pop) because it will make it easier if he needs a break or just to go to the room a little early while maybe everyone isn't ready for a break. It will also convenient if her needs another change of clothes or something, children do have accidents even if u think your prepared. Know this from experience because on our last trip I always kept 3 extra outfits in a bag for my daughter and one day we used all 3 and opted to buy a 4th to change her one more time. Had a problem with leaky diapers for some reason that day. Also, have a friend who's daughter wet on her at age 4 and put a wrench in the whole day because they both had to change, this happened right after they got to the park one morning and they weren't staying on property. It messed there day up so bad, they left and didn't even go back that day. Lesson: Accidents Happen, Lol! Anyway, long story short you will figure out what will work best for your family and I'm sure have a great time.

SAV

We took our daughter when she was 2 and it was amazing. She absolutely loved the characters. Ran right up to them every time. We also brought our own stroller and she would just crash out when ready or I would put a towel over the stroller and take a long walk to a quieter area of the park. We went commando and stayed from open to after fireworks/close. She was fine.

Years later, we brought our son when he was 2. He too loved the characters. At MK, he fell asleep after Spectro and before fireworks, but then woke up during fireworks. He cried for 3 hours and we finally got him asleep by 1am.

The rides were the funniest thing. We did the kid swap on Dumbo so we walked thru the line together and split right at the end. My wife took her on first and I let the 30 people go in front of me and was ready to grab her as soon as she got off with Mom and was going to go on with me. She didn't want to get off and got mad. She was screaming as my wife handed her off to me. She was smacking me in the head not realizing what we were doing. Once she realized she was going back on, she was OK. A similar thing happened to us when we jumped on the tram from the parking lot to the park/TTC. She didn't want to get off and wanted to stay on the "Choo Choo Ride". So if anything, be prepared for them not wanting to get off of the rides.

Both were fine on all of the rides at all of the parks that were appropriate for a 2 yr old, except for "It's a Bug's Life" at Animal Kingdom. It's just too intense for them at that age. You always see parents taking a screaming kid out of there.

As you said, you know your kid best.

Enjoy the trip.

sublimesting

Our daughter was 21 months. She couldn't have embraced it more. All of it. She loved the restaurants, even sitting for a 3 hour meal at California Grill. Loved the fireworks. We rode every single ride she could get on and she enjoyed them all. She sang the songs, hugged all the characters and sgamely stayed up well past her bedtime. In the morning she would get ready with us and stand by the door and say "I'm ready for more Mickey Mouse Mommy and Daddy." Never threw one tantrum or cryed. We went for 14 days. Going back this fall and she will be 2 years and 8 months. Can't wait.

Oh and she remembers IT ALL!

mitchk

:wave: This is great info. I'm taking my, then to be 19 month old, in Sept. This is our first child, so .....:shrug: I'm not to sure on how we are going to do, but why not give it a shot. We are staying at All-Star Music. It's going to be me, my wife, my Mother, and my sister. We paid for there room, tickets, and dining. Also, my best friend Omar, and his wife, along with his 2 kids ( they will be 4yo, and 5yo). Anyone else have any experinces they want to share :wave:

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I appreciate the info here. One year away is a long time so who knows. He'll just be turning two in April 2013. He has been a good sleeper from day one and I am confident that if he wants to pass out in the stroller that he can and will despite the crowd noise which never has bothered him in the past.

I guess a part of me wants to see his reaction when he meets Mickey. Or goes on Peter Pan, or Small World. Or the railroad around the park. I figure three adults and one two year old should be no problem at all. No, he won't remember it when he's 10, but he'll have pictures and the point is that WE'LL remember it and always have those cherished memories to hold.

Mr_Incredible

We took my son, 2 1/2 at the time in September 2010. Stayed at allstar sports. He got tired easily in the heat, and we had to take our time, keep him cool, rest in the shade etc.

My wife and I had a really good thing set up. We went with my brother and my cousin met us there for a couple of days also. One day, I would take him around 1pm back to the resort, close the shades, crank the AC and take a real good nap....maybe 1 or 1 1/2 hours long. Wake up, take our time, re-coat him with sunscreen and head back to the park where my wife had stayed with my brother and cousin doing "big kid" stuff and continue our day....usually with EMH and so on. The next day my wife would go back for nap time and I would stay. It worked out great because he got a breather (had to have it) and we got to enjoy some big thrills like Space, Splash, rockin roller coaster etc.

When it came to rides, some things bothered him either darkness or loud noises. I never realized how long, slow and loud great movie ride is until I rode it with my terrified, screaming 2 1/2 year old. Sorry if anyone was on that ride with us at the time, he ruined it, but you never know how he will react until you try it. So now, we know.

He rode SSE fine, I used my phone as light during any parts he was scared. We stayed away from pirates and haunted mansion that time, however september of this year (he will be 4 1/2) we are doing it all and he can't wait.

Every child will be different, I am sure there are kids at 2 that would enjoy great movie ride etc. My advice? Keep him cool, keep the pace down, let him rest when tired, keep him hydrated, and when cranking if staying onsite, bring him back and all of you get some rest. It takes away from parks, but if the vaca is long enough, and with how good you feel afterwards (the adults who napped too, i felt amazing) it really helps for a better QUALITY vaca we found.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes....(a year from now) haha

HouCuseChickie

DD3 went twice while she was 2...first trip was about 1 month after her 2nd bday. Here are some of the good and bad things I remembe about both trips.

1. Day 1 she was soooooo excited that she didn't nap until like 6:15p, but she woke back up and was just as pumped for dinner at Chef Mickey's.
2. She has an older sister so she was devastated on trip 1 when she couldn't do BBB and wasn't tall enough for Barnstormer.
3. She was in awe of all of the characters- LOVED them. In fact, she had to convince her big sis to do M&Gs.
4. She was terrified of Haunted Mansion and thinks PotC is a little scary.
5. Dumbo esque rides were a huge hit. She threw a 2+ hr fit when we wouldn't go back on Triceratop Spin at AK.
6. There was just way too much stimulation for her in the parks so we went back every day for a nap. On the flip side, she could handle nights as late as 11:30p with a well timed decent length nap.
7. She loved the fireworks and parades.
8. She was willing to try some new foods at buffets like Boma.
9. The stroller was a must and sadly on trip 1...she wanted to be carried every time we got in line. My back was killing me.
10. She was not potty trained on the first trip, but she was on the 2nd. While I LOVED not having to carry a diaper bag...it's kind of nice when you don't have to sprint to the bathroom.

And the most important thing...she remembers so much of both trips. We thought about that afte hearing countless people say "You know this trip is really for you- I mean, your girls aren't going to remember a thing." :rolleyes: I thought about that, then I realized that I was 11 on my first trip and there's a lot I don't remember. So, the reality is- no matter when you go- you'e never going to remember everything. No matter when you go- your child will have a blast!!! :D

EDIT: Attractions w/3D glasses are a challenge as are things like Buzz and TSM, but she still really enjoyed them.

wdwfan317

Disney with an 18 month old was GREAT!

First, i want to say to Mitch- did you book through Disney? Or a Disney travel company of some sort? As long as you booked thru something besides expedia or travelocity?? You should be able to get the dining package FREE since you're staying in september. You might even be able to transfer your reservation to Disney if you inquire with Disney reservations. Just an FYI. OH! and if you haven't done it already, you can(and probably should) go ahead and make your reservations.

OK! So! Went with my family to Disney world when joseph was 5 and David was 18 mos old. I will just say this: "I go 'gain?" Was what David said after going on Small World for the first time. We probably rode Small world 6-7 times in a row before Joseph said, "mom, this is boring." LOL! But he was able to enjoy MANY rides at Magic Kingdom, some things at Animal, not so much at epcot, and a few experiences at Hollywood as well. Magic Kingdom is THE park for kids 4 and under. But I am 40 and it is my favorite too. So go figure. Make sure you bring a stroller from home. It is too expensive to rent one in my opinion. Give little guy breaks OFTEN and make sure you keep his bottle/sippy cup FULL and available at all times. Stuff some toddler friendly snacks into your pack/backpack/purse to avoid the sugary/carby/junky snacks at the parks. Your toddler will be just fine and have a great time.

I will be in Disney in September as well, staying at the Caribbean Beach resort for 9 DAYS and i cannot WAIT! I wish all of you a magical time in Disney world.

sublimesting

I used to say that Disney is no place for kids but after having one I changed my tune. And she probably won't remember it when she grows up but she does right now. And she had so much fun while we were there. People complain about couples bringing small children and babies to Disney but what are ya gonna do lock them in a room until they can experience things on an adult level. They may not "get it" like an adult but they have their very own way of enjoying the stuff.

We had to rider swap, which I thought would be boring witing in the line rides myself but it went fast (with fastpass of course). We took it all much slower as we were commando style before but that was OK, we have done it all. Just watching her was half the fun. She clapped and jumped during the parades, when the fireworkd first started we thought she'd be scared but she just said "Fireworks go boom on Avonlea!"
The only thing that scared her was Pete's Dragon during the MSEP, ir was right in her face and blew off steam.
The other thing is she slept so good, she is a terriblr sleeper, but got worn out, she slept in the heat and in her stroller. We have one pick of her in the stroller, face down with her head on the tray (it didn't look comfy but never wake a sleeping baby.....never.), arm hanging off the side, one shoe off and we placed an empty 24 oz. beer mug on her tray....GREAT PIC!

mitchk

First, i want to say to Mitch- did you book through Disney? Or a Disney travel company of some sort? As long as you booked thru something besides expedia or travelocity?? You should be able to get the dining package FREE since you're staying in september. You might even be able to transfer your reservation to Disney if you inquire with Disney reservations. Just an FYI. OH! and if you haven't done it already, you can(and probably should) go ahead and make your reservations.

OK! So! Went with my family to Disney world when joseph was 5 and David was 18 mos old. I will just say this: "I go 'gain?" Was what David said after going on Small World for the first time. We probably rode Small world 6-7 times in a row before Joseph said, "mom, this is boring." LOL! But he was able to enjoy MANY rides at Magic Kingdom, some things at Animal, not so much at epcot, and a few experiences at Hollywood as well. Magic Kingdom is THE park for kids 4 and under. But I am 40 and it is my favorite too. So go figure. Make sure you bring a stroller from home. It is too expensive to rent one in my opinion. Give little guy breaks OFTEN and make sure you keep his bottle/sippy cup FULL and available at all times. Stuff some toddler friendly snacks into your pack/backpack/purse to avoid the sugary/carby/junky snacks at the parks. Your toddler will be just fine and have a great time.

I will be in Disney in September as well, staying at the Caribbean Beach resort for 9 DAYS and i cannot WAIT! I wish all of you a magical time in Disney world.

:wave: Yup, I booked last Oct, and when the free QS came out, I dropped my FS, got the free QS, then upgraded to FS for around $14 per person. Aslo, I booked with Disney. I'm kind of a Disney pro, I just haven't been able to get back to the parks in a few years :wave:

Thanks, Have a magical day :king: :wave:

Last September we took our 2 year old for his first visit. He loved the characters and rode everything that didn't have a height requirement. There was not a single ride he didn't enjoy (Ironically his favorites were pirates and the haunted mansion). Also don't let anyone tell you he/she won't remeber it. My son literally talks about WDW every day and is counting down the days until we go back in October!

mgjones03

We took all our children for the first time when he/she(x2) were approximately 20-21 months. Our son in 2005 (now 8years), loved everything---the rides, the characters, the food---he was not afraid of anything, but was upset that he could not ride all the big rides, he also loved collecting autographs and pressed pennies---he was not potty-trained, but that was no big deal(except we did run out of diapers toward end of trip), Disney diapers are expensive to say the least. We prepared him by watching the Sing-A-Long Songs tapes/dvd and showed him pictures from prior trips. Our twin daughters first trip in 2009(now 4 years) was very fun, again we prepared by watching the dvds, showing photos and talking non-stop about going/preparing. They too loved everything, with the exception of the face-characters---they scared them to tears, so we just learned to avoid them that trip--2 years later they could not wait to meet all the princesses. They were much smaller than our son---but still loved all the rides, and when we go again they will have met the 40" height requirement for most of the thrill rides, especially BTMRR. Again, they weren't potty-trained their first trip, and to be honest it is/was sometimes easier with them NOT being potty-trained, because we had to get out of line several times for potty-breaks, luckily having been there many times, I knew where all the restrooms were located. The character dining is a must---with our son we did go back for afternoon breaks, but not with the girls---we learned from our son that by the time we would get back to the resort, he was wide awake, so many times we would just stroll around the park waiting for them to rest/wake up and take turns riding with the older child. Going for the first time before age 2---did not hinder them from remembering the trip and the memories we made our priceless. They still love to get out the albums/scrapbooks and talk about the next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom