Tell Me About Your Experience at OLD KEY WEST

Disneyfreak Jen

I stayed at OKW last fall, actually during Hurricane Matthew.! :eek: I absolutely loved loved LOVED it!! I had a studio in the Turtle Pond section, in the building right next to the quiet pool. Fantastic location, pool was quiet, no noise from the busses, and there was a quick serve snack bar with a good selection of food/drinks at the pool. Laundry is at the pool too.

Pro's: busses were never crowded, always timely, sheltered pavilion at the bus stops to give you shade, and they had benches. Pool was great, since it's a deluxe it's a shorter walk to the bus depot at the parks. Walk or take a boat to Disney Springs.

Con's: none

jackson2005

Is there a bus or something you can ride to get around the resort? From the turtle pond area is that a long walk to main building?

correcaminos

@BuddyThomas , thank you for sharing your videos. I found them very helpful. One question- I've stayed in a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk and there was a large closet off of the part of the bathroom with the tub. I didn't notice that in your video. Is there a closet like that off of the bathroom at OKW? If not, what is the closet situation?

Unrelated question, is there a place at OKW to buy bottles of alcohol? Not just beer and wine but also vodka etc? We fly so I can't bring anything along. We like to set up a little bar in the room. I get mixers and garnishes from Garden Grocer but in the past I've relied on the little overpriced bottles of hooch that are sold in the store on the Boardwalk.
Yes, you can buy alcohol at OKW's Marketplace. I don't recall the prices being too bad for wine but don't remember about others. I also don't remember what can specifically be bought there though... generally speaking what you find in that marketplace on the Boardwalk will be very similar to Conch Flats. ABC Wine and Spirits can deliver via Instacart if you need more.

The closet in the master bedroom is large but not as huge as one we've had at BCV. That said that large closet our last stay at BCV this year was gone. Edit: not gone but not as large as it was before. We had put a portable crib in it about 8 years ago, but now in both the 1 and 2 beds it was reduced in size... Or so it seemed

The closet we had for OKW was long but not as deep. There is a 'hallway' for the washer and dryer that has some room there as well. That was bigger than the bedroom closet.

Is there a bus or something you can ride to get around the resort? From the turtle pond area is that a long walk to main building?

The bus route around the resort goes from Peninsular to Turtle Pond to South Point to Miller's Pond to Hospitality House. So you can get on any bus you see that will take you to the HH before you leave.

I just measured out a lower point of Turtle Pond and it's about a half a mile to the hospitality house from there. I would say that is totally walkable to me, but we are walking people and often walk from DHS to BC even. So it is up to you, but I would say it's not a bad walk at all. Easy and large sidewalks the whole way. Turtle Pond does have a nice pool and snack bar there too.

Last edited:

Souvenir

@helenabear , Thanks for giving so much detail about things. It's especially helpful for me personally because you're able to compare OKW to other Disney resorts, especially the Boardwalk area ones which I am very familiar with. You've really helped me, and others too I imagine, make up my mind.

correcaminos

@helenabear , Thanks for giving so much detail about things. It's especially helpful for me personally because you're able to compare OKW to other Disney resorts, especially the Boardwalk area ones which I am very familiar with. You've really helped me, and others too I imagine, make up my mind.
Glad to help! The joys of being a DVC owner for 13+ years for me has been the ability to stay all over and really get to know each resort well. If you think of anything else just ask away. I love talking DVC resorts in particular :D

jackson2005

Yes, you can buy alcohol at OKW's Marketplace. I don't recall the prices being too bad for wine but don't remember about others. I also don't remember what can specifically be bought there though... generally speaking what you find in that marketplace on the Boardwalk will be very similar to Conch Flats. ABC Wine and Spirits can deliver via Instacart if you need more.

The closet in the master bedroom is large but not as huge as one we've had at BCV. That said that large closet our last stay at BCV this year was gone. Edit: not gone but not as large as it was before. We had put a portable crib in it about 8 years ago, but now in both the 1 and 2 beds it was reduced in size... Or so it seemed

The closet we had for OKW was long but not as deep. There is a 'hallway' for the washer and dryer that has some room there as well. That was bigger than the bedroom closet.

The bus route around the resort goes from Peninsular to Turtle Pond to South Point to Miller's Pond to Hospitality House. So you can get on any bus you see that will take you to the HH before you leave.

I just measured out a lower point of Turtle Pond and it's about a half a mile to the hospitality house from there. I would say that is totally walkable to me, but we are walking people and often walk from DHS to BC even. So it is up to you, but I would say it's not a bad walk at all. Easy and large sidewalks the whole way. Turtle Pond does have a nice pool and snack bar there too.

Can you fill your mugs at the turtle pond snack bar?

Jeff456

We really enjoyed it on our first trip there in 2012 and we are going back 4 weeks tomorrow for 2 weeks and I cannot wait. It was just lovely and quiet, the room was huge and I really liked the look and feel of the resort.
The only problem is there isn't a good Quick Service option, Goods to go and Turtle Shack are both very limited, this is only a problem if you are planning to eat Quick Service there however, I would just eat in the park or go to Disney Springs.

wvdisneyfamily

We love Old Key West! It's very peaceful with a great table service (Olivia's). The transportation was never an issue. Turtle Pond is our favorite.

GholsHost

Would you say it's comparable to the walk from Boardwalk Villas to Hollywood Studios? Is it the same type of walking path (paved, scenic, partially lit after dark)?
There is also a boat that goes to DS, correct? If so, does it run on a convenient schedule?
The path to Disney Springs is not open from dusk to dawn. It parallels some of the golf cart paths, but are 2 distinct paths. The walk is beautiful, with frequent sightings of wildlife. It's also usually deserted...we rarely come upon anyone except golfers and the occasional cast member scooting by on a cart.

MinnieWaffles

We love OKW! Going back for our second stay in September. As we'll have someone in a scooter in our party we've requested one of the buildings with elevators- we got building 64 last time (well..after having to stay up near Turtle Pond for the first 2 nights which sucked because we were right next to where the buses turned round, and Disney buses are absurdly noisy!!) and liked it because it also had the 2 bathroom entrances and a lovely view over the golf course and lake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom