Tell me about food and wine festival!

kasey1988

Original Poster
We are going for 11 days, so we already have one day planned for Epcot (before f&w start) then one day once it starts..debating adding another day..maybe just an afternoon?

DisneyDebNJ

We LOVE Food and Wine!!! We go just about every year, and wouldn't miss it! I am a major foodie, so this is the highlight of my year! LOL Each country has a couple of dishes to try (which are considered snack credits on the dining plan) and a couple of cocktails (which you have to pay out of pocket for). Some offerings are insanely good, while others are just so so. We normally load up an Epcot gift card to go around World Showcase to taste (and sip) most of whatever is being prepared!! Save one of your TS credits if you're on the dining plan, and use your saved up snack credits for a nice change of pace for dinner :) @luv pointed out, there are some who tend to get a little inebriated, however I honestly have never ran into anyone being nasty... but funny as all get out. One major rule... if you intend to try some of the wonderful cocktails, make sure to eat and drink either water or soda in between ;) I highly recommend Food and Wine! Plus, the weather is so nice during September-November! Have a great time!!!!

DisDadWoz

Food and wine is great! While some said there are a few who enjoy one too many but we've never seen anyone out of control or offensive. Drink plenty of water and make sure you eat if you do partake in cocktails. My favorite is the steak skewers with the chimi-churi sauce from Argentina. One of the things you can do to plan is look at the menus that get posted before you go to see what you may or may not like. Get the card to put on your wrist and you are on your way. It is all a matter of what YOU like to eat and drink so go around, try what you want and hit them up again later in the day.

Sloan

The Food & Wine Festival is much, much more than just the food booths around World Showcase, however it takes significant planning to really enjoy all that the Festival has to offer.

There are many "hard-ticket" events during the Festival. Everything from special seminars, tastings, Siganture Dinner series, Party for the Senses (a fantastic event ...). They usually go on sale some time in July, and for certain events, sell out in a matter of minutes, so there's no way you can do those as last-minute things. Many of the seminars now require a 'reservation' and ticket to be able to attend. The charge is nominal, but this was put in place to control supply and demand, and, in theory, to boost the 'quality' of the events. Again, this will require significant planning.

If you want to 'wing it', you can still enjoy the Festival. You can just 'graze' as you like by going booth-to-booth and getting what appeals to you. My key advice at this point is to avoid the weekends. It has become a very popular event for locals / Passholders, and the weekends have gotten a bit out of control. I've not really been bothered by people over-indulging, but the crowds to get to be a bit overwhelming. Same for Party for the Senses. I started attending the Party many, many years ago, and it was a "can't miss" event for me each year. As it got more and more popular, it got to the point where I feel is was / is over-sold, and too crowded, forcing you to purchase the premium "wine view lounge" tickets at a premium over what is already quite expensive. (Now I do my Festival trip on a Monday through Friday). Still, if you must do a Food & Wine 'event' on the weekend, I'd suggest trying the Party for the Senses at least once (they are on Saturday nights). The Regional Lunches are great too - I don't know if there will be weekend offerings of those this year or not.

So, keep an eye out for the Festival Guide that will come out just prior to the events going on sale - if you snooze, you will miss the prime events ...

itsbetsyh

We are going Oct 10-13 and I'm wondering too if we should add an extra day. I never have experience F&W before, but cannot wait to!

Clamman73

Take a look at last years menu and that will give you a good idea of what to expect. There will be some changes to the menu items, but look a little bit before F&W starts when the whole menu will be available to check out beforehand.

I had this surreal moment last year when I was getting a Sam Adams chocolate bock at the booth by American Adventure and the Pointer Sisters were singing "I'm so Excited" Just thought this is kinda weird...

dreamfinder

See here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/international-food-and-wine-festival.htm for a basic rundown on what you can do. As mentioned, the most obvious thing will be the kiosks setup around World Showcase where you can sample lots of different foods and drinks. There are plenty of lectures, guest chefs, etc as well. But those do now all pretty much require a reservation, and also as mentioned, sell out pretty fast. Unless you are specifically interested in what they are offering, you may not find the events to be worth the cost. (I think Party for the Senses was up to like $150 per? and you still needed admission to Epcot) The seminars started at like $11 last year, most of the more involved events started at like $55.

Do you need to add a day? Hard to say. If the seminars or other hard ticket events are must do, then definitely, as those can easily tie up 1-4 hours. Otherwise, it depends on how much you want to eat/drink. My DW and I just munch as we go around World Showcase. No set lunch/dinner plans that day. We aren't heavy drinkers, so we can skip most of the wine. But if you like to sample wines, then you would easily want 2-3 days, as sampling wines from 20+ booths adds up to alot of booze.

WellFedDave

1. Go on a weekday, with the exception of Friday. That way you're able to avoid the locals coming out to "tie one on" over the weekend. We had zero issues with the inebriated during the weekdays.
2. If you're going strictly to Epcot for F & W; it will take 2 days to experience the festival completely. Because of the length of your trip I'd say plan on 1 day where you're having a traditional Epcot day with attractions and shows, then 2 days devoted to the festival where you can eat and drink at will, without feeling like you need to experience the attractions over again.
3. Booth lines are longest between 12-2pm and then again from about 4-7 pm. Most lines move quite quickly, however, we found some points were a bit more congested than others. High traffic around the England and Canada pavilions as their stations are also near Ireland and Greece. Hint...eat at off hours. Use those other times to take in a demonstration.
4. We have mixed feelings towards Party for the Senses. If you can, book it so it falls earlier in your trip and if your pocket book allows DO splurge for the private seating. Rude squatters were hogging the tables all night so we had to get somewhat creative in finding places to sit and enjoy the festivities. If we do attend again, we will be adding the seating add-on. Even though our first experience with this wasn't great, I still think we'd do it again...just smarter.
5. Make sure to stop in at the Festival Center (the old Wonders of Life pavilion) and pick up the Food and Wine Festival Passport. For us, it helped us plan out our day but it's also fun to get your passport stamped at all of the booths.

Hope that helps.

nicnic

Anyone know when the schdule will be available showing who will be playing? We saw Billy Ocean last time, it was great, singing along whilst having a few beverages. Bliss.

Zman-ks

F&W shrimp tacos. Oh such wonderful goodness.
75.gif

So good! :)

michmousefan

Going for our third year in a row this Oct. 20-25. Last year I challenged myself to get a stamp from every location -- meaning I'd try at least one thing from each booth -- and, over the course of three days, I made it! Very fun. Plus with all that food you really don't need an Epcot ADR unless you want the change that a table service meal provides.

The best advice to give has been mentioned before -- avoid Friday-Sunday, as that's extra crowded with locals. Unless you are a crowd person, then have a heapin' helping.

LizC

We scheduled our adults only trip around the food and wine festival this year. We consider the festival to be an amazing bonus to our favorite park. Depending on how long you are going I would suggest at least two days/evening for the festival. We are going for four days and doing one full day and every evening. Of course this means foregoing one park completely. :/ But that's just us, we are foodies and we love Epcot!

Be sure to scout out the menus beforehand on disneyfoodblog.com and try make some of the demonstrations. Have a great trip!

alissafalco

You guys are bumming me out with all this avoid the weekend talk. I'm going on a girls trip from oct 17-20 (Thurs-sun). There's no way we can avoid the weekend with our schedules. Is it really that bad? We plan on doing all 4 days at Epcot. We are big drinkers and eaters lol. I can't wait!!!

You guys are bumming me out with all this avoid the weekend talk. I'm going on a girls trip from oct 17-20 (Thurs-sun). There's no way we can avoid the weekend with our schedules. Is it really that bad? We plan on doing all 4 days at Epcot. We are big drinkers and eaters lol. I can't wait!!!

I'm getting bummed too. Also doing a girls' weekend (probably 11/1-11/4) and there is no way we can change it with work schedules :-(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom