News Tech Crunch: WDI Builds Free Roaming Bipedal Animatronic Groot With “Project Kiwi”

ThatMouse

This is cool! But you know the stage show will be a 2 minute "I am Groot" gag. I really hope Groot learns to talk! lol!

MrPromey

Honestly, this is sad because under a well-funded Disney, this would be AMAZING, but under current Disney, I doubt we'll ever see him in the parks.

The cuts are really killing the magic.
Meh, it'll probably show up for the grand opening of Cosmic Rewind. Might stick around intermittently for a month or so after... Then we'll probably get to see footage of it in Japan where they're willing to pay the money or in China where they're trying to get attention.

I don't see WDW footing the bill to keep something like that around.

havoc315

Very cool. Still many years away from everyday practical applications... and I doubt theme parks will be among the first applications but maybe. 20 years from now, Disney theme parks may really be WestWorld.

J4546

damn, that video makes me even more excited for the spiderman flying robot coming to CA as well. But damn, those boston dynamics robots they show that are just dancing around on 1 foot....thats insane. We are so close to robots that can look like us and run around lol

ppete1975

this gets us closer to what ive always thought disney should do... more realistic meet and greets..... think about a 2 foot winnie the pooh, a bolt, a more cartoon pluto, the aristocats...
So many of the meet and greet characters are not supposed to be 6 foot tall.
The first venelope still gives me nightmares... (shes better now though).. but she should be a little kid not 6 foot tall. Remember the horror that was figmentzilla or was that figzilla.

Magenta Panther

Pity that this experimental tech is being wasted on a non-Disney second-tier Marvel character. Still, it's pretty cool. I've often argued for a "life-sized" interactive Mickey Mouse AA to greet guests, rather than a 5-foot human wearing a giant mouse head. This new tech could make that happen. A "life-sized" Donald Duck would be awesome too. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned here, these are the Imagineers that once came up with a truly spectacular flying dragon - then flew it once and retired it. They retired Lucky the Dinosaur too. AND they won't fix the Yeti. So I refuse to get too excited over this...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom