News Tech Crunch: WDI Builds Free Roaming Bipedal Animatronic Groot With “Project Kiwi”

TrainsOfDisney

I've seen videos of the walking dinosaur and the mobile muppet labs. I'd love to see both in person!
Interesting that they developed the walking aspect themselves. I figured they'd get a Honda Asimo and add the Groot dressing to it. Very Impressive!
I saw them both.... once. Also Remy (lifesive not costumed character) greeting guests in France.

WDI can do it, Parks don’t want to pay for it. (Also see talking Mickey).

SplashJacket

They can easily do character meet and greets. Their is also so much we don’t know about Cosmic Rewind. I think it’s supposed to be the “adult” version of Groot.
The BB animatronic in the Oceaneer's Club on the Dream and Fantasy functions as a meet and greet. The animatronic is on a pedestal that gets lowered down from the ceiling when in use.

The Cast Members get very understandable hissy when you touch the platform (they tell you not to touch it before you go and take your photo), so the main obstacle I see with deploying a walk-around animatronic is people touching him.

If the animatronic was large or had 4 legs, a small push from a little kid probably wouldn't knock him over, but this is a relatively small animatronic that is undoubtedly very expensive, and quite fragile, so it would take quite a bit of crowd control to ensure its safety.

The most likely use of the animatronic to me would be for a stage show, or really any show with a hard boundary. After the show, they could definitely do covid meet & greet style pictures where he is in the background, but I just don't think they could get the level of intimacy in a normal meet and greet or walkaround character.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
I saw them both.... once. Also Remy (lifesive not costumed character) greeting guests in France.

WDI can do it, Parks don’t want to pay for it. (Also see talking Mickey).
It’s truly a shame. For a company so desperate to compete with UNI, something like this is a real differentiator because only Disney could do something like this. The UNI guys just krazy glue a bunch of crap onto a Boston Dynamics robot and call it a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom