Team Goelz, Project Ten - Brainstorming Thread

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster

PROJECT TEN: THE GREAT BROADWAY RIDE

07HAMILTON-slide-UX39-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v2.jpg

Okay... I couldn't tell you what season this legendary prompt was from... Season 10? 11? 9? Really, I don't remember.

Anyhow, this iconic prompt calls for the construction of a "spiritual successor" to the Great Movie Ride of DHS. Only, this time, you'll be focusing on Broadway musicals, and not Hollywood's finest. The requirement here is simple: Design a "Mega-Dark Ride" with an inboard actor as the "skipper," driving guests through scenes from nearly a century of Broadway musicals. However, you must include two of the world's most popular musicals in recent years - Hamilton and The Book of Mormon. Those two are a MUST. Anything else you would like to include is free range... Dear Evan Hansen, Evita, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Cats, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, The Great Comet, Once, Matilda, Oklahoma!, Rent, In the Heights, The Wizard of Oz, Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, A Chorus Line, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Once On This Island, Pirates of Penzance, The Rocky Horror Show, etc. The sky's the limit!

Real-world placement does not matter. Just give us an extensive ride-through of this would-be masterpiece. This project is due on
SATURDAY, APRIL 15TH @ 11:59 PM ET.

Sadly, @Pionmycake has opened Walt's Vault... Inside? An automatic nomination for this round's elimination. This means that the Team Leader will select ONLY ONE contestant for elimination this round. You will then vote as we get closer to the due date. Good luck, folks.

kmbmw777

I would think that Les Mis, Phantom, and Grease would be musts due t their history and popularity.

I would also love to see Brigadoon make an appearance.

kmbmw777

I also only believe we should include one Disney Musical. Two at the very max. I would suggest Mary Poppins, as this musical holds a very special place in my heart BUT Mary Poppins is in the Great Movie Ride. Thus, idk how realistic it would be to have a scene from this same movie in both.

Lion King - I have seen this musical and it was tremendous, thus I believe this should be our one Disney Musical.

kmbmw777

Sadly, @Pionmycake has opened Walt's Vault... Inside? An automatic nomination for this round's elimination. This means that the Team Leader will select ONLY ONE contestant for elimination this round. You will then vote as we get closer to the due date. Good luck, folks.
Does this mean that whoever is nominated is eliminated by default or?

Magic Feather

I definitely agree with all of this:
I would think that Les Mis, Phantom, and Grease would be musts due t their history and popularity.

I would also love to see Brigadoon make an appearance.

I also only believe we should include one Disney Musical. Two at the very max. I would suggest Mary Poppins, as this musical holds a very special place in my heart BUT Mary Poppins is in the Great Movie Ride. Thus, idk how realistic it would be to have a scene from this same movie in both.

Lion King - I have seen this musical and it was tremendous, thus I believe this should be our one Disney Musical.
I would probably vote in bothe Poppins and Lion King. Another thing we could get slightly inventive with would be the ride system. I like 1 a series of LPS Vehicles, with a host vehicle that travels with the pack, allowing for different configurations. Ex. They could spin in a circle like the turntable in Hamilton.

kmbmw777

I definitely agree with all of this:

I would probably vote in bothe Poppins and Lion King. Another thing we could get slightly inventive with would be the ride system. I like 1 a series of LPS Vehicles, with a host vehicle that travels with the pack, allowing for different configurations. Ex. They could spin in a circle like the turntable in Hamilton.
I do agree we need to be inventive with the ride system, but I am not sure I understand what your description is. Can you elaborate?

Magic Feather

My vote is that we have five (technically six) LPS (ala Rat) vehicles Ina "pack", where one other vehicle (making it six) holds the host. They then go through, and reposition themselves based on the staging of each musical or show. For instance the ride starts in front of a curtain, as the cars are positioned like a theater. It rises in the first show, and we move forward into it, where the carts move based on the staging. One example of the staging is that the cars could move in a circle in the Hamilton Scene, as if we are in the turntable (or it could just be a straight up turntable).

kmbmw777

My vote is that we have five (technically six) LPS (ala Rat) vehicles Ina "pack", where one other vehicle (making it six) holds the host. They then go through, and reposition themselves based on the staging of each musical or show. For instance the ride starts in front of a curtain, as the cars are positioned like a theater. It rises in the first show, and we move forward into it, where the carts move based on the staging. One example of the staging is that the cars could move in a circle in the Hamilton Scene, as if we are in the turntable (or it could just be a straight up turntable).
I think I understand it and it sounds good to me.

So, for this question, I am going to use the example of the Lion King.
Are guests going to be looking at stages when looking at the sets? Will the stages be minimalisticaly decorated (like real life) or extravagantly decorated? Or will guests be actually on the African Savannah? Also will the figures be actual Lions or people in the lion costumes?
Simba-and-Nala.jpg

Magic Feather

I think I understand it and it sounds good to me.

So, for this question, I am going to use the example of the Lion King.
Are guests going to be looking at stages when looking at the sets? Will the stages be minimalisticaly decorated (like real life) or extravagantly decorated? Or will guests be actually on the African Savannah? Also will the figures be actual Lions or people in the lion costumes?
Simba-and-Nala.jpg
I'd say more extravagant than the stage us, but not an African Savannah. Maybe add in a few more, not really puppets. I'd say have Simba& Co as people, but scrap the puppeteers for puppets

kmbmw777

I'd say more extravagant than the stage us, but not an African Savannah. Maybe add in a few more, not really puppets. I'd say have Simba& Co as people, but scrap the puppeteers for puppets
Alright. That is basically what I was thinking.

So for propteries we have discusses
-Hamilton
Book of Mormon
Lion King
Les Mis
Grease
Mary Poppins
and Brigadoon so far

DisneyManOne

I am a huge Broadway aficionado, and I already have plenty of ideas in mind. For the staging, I say we actually glide past the set pieces themselves, as if we're really on stage with the performers.

And another thing--I honestly think we need to utilize live actors in this. For a Broadway-based ride, I believe animatronics wouldn't do it justice.

I can also picture something like a "Villains" sequence, where we can have famous musical villains confront us (i;e Sweeney Todd inviting us for a shave, the Phantom of the Opera about to crash the chandelier right on us), you know what I mean?

If we decide to do a "switch" with the tour guide and one of the characters, I remember seeing something about that taking place in a "Les Mis" segment, where the car is hijacked by one of the Thenardiers.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe we could do a couple of "Genre" rooms. Sort of like how the Great Movie Ride has Horror, Western, Gangster, musical.

Like we could do the ride divided into sections more than individual scenes
Horror: Sweeney Todd, Phantom, etc
Rebellion: Les Mis, Hamilton, Wicked, etc
Comedy: Book of Mormon, etc

Snoopy

If we decide to do a "switch" with the tour guide and one of the characters, I remember seeing something about that taking place in a "Les Mis" segment, where the car is hijacked by one of the Thenardiers.

Loving your ideas here, though I wanted to jump in for this one - the Thenardiers hijacking the vehicle was done in the season 11 SYWTBAI Great Movie Ride redo project. I remember that because it was the section of the ride I wrote. ;) We had a Sacha Baron Cohen look-alike get hit with a falling elevator in Toontown I believe. I can't remember what the switch was for the Great Broadway Ride, if we even did one.

I do think there is a need for live actors in a ride like this. As far as structure goes, I recall this being a sticking point in the development of the original Great Broadway Ride. Some people wanted to group it by genre, and others by movie. I believe we ended up grouping it by genre, like the original ride.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom