Team Durango Brainstorming Thread - Project Three: Animation Domination

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Three: Animation Domination
1591411114041.png

Here we come to one of the most open ended and fun projects of the season. For this round, teams will design a dark ride based around an animated series from the era of their choice. (pre-2000s) This will be a stand-alone attraction to go into a park of your choosing and can be Disney, Universal, or even Six Flags if you choose to go the Looney Tunes route. The only requirement is that it must be based on an IP that started life as an animated series. IE no Aladdin, Batman, or anything of that nature.

Oh yea, and did I mention you have to go old school on this? For older members of the cast, working with animated properties from 1999 and before might seem like an advantage, for most of the younger cast the lack of obvious IPs like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb can potentially make things difficult. Either way, communication is going to be key this round as I'm sure there will be strong opinions on exactly what IP you want to go with. The attraction being created should be a stand-alone dark ride that can fit into a pre-existing land in a park of your choosing. An entrance plaza for the ride is fine, but please nothing beyond that. The scale of this should be a D ticket at the most ambitious. We'll get to a proper E ticket project later.

Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 12th at 11:59PM Eastern

Disneylover152

Ok so I know I haven't been active in the last two challenges (part of the reason is my WDW magic notifications have been acting up, and when I don't get an email about something, my mind drifts), but I would love to start off our competition.

Six Flags is severely lacking dark rides, with many parks having one or less dark rides. Therefore I propose a Looney Tunes dark ride for Six Flags. I think Looney Tunes is severely under-represented in Six Flags parks, serving as the park's kiddie rides. Well, why don't we add a highly themed family dark ride? I think taking a Looney Tunes themed approach would make our project different as well as unique. If we go with a Roger Rabbit style approach to the ride, with painted flats and simple animatronics, I think an original adventure where you are going on a Looney Tune adventure would be a really charming addition to an otherwise thrill park.

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok so I know I haven't been active in the last two challenges (part of the reason is my WDW magic notifications have been acting up, and when I don't get an email about something, my mind drifts), but I would love to start off our competition.

Six Flags is severely lacking dark rides, with many parks having one or less dark rides. Therefore I propose a Looney Tunes dark ride for Six Flags. I think Looney Tunes is severely under-represented in Six Flags parks, serving as the park's kiddie rides. Well, why don't we add a highly themed family dark ride? I think taking a Looney Tunes themed approach would make our project different as well as unique. If we go with a Roger Rabbit style approach to the ride, with painted flats and simple animatronics, I think an original adventure where you are going on a Looney Tune adventure would be a really charming addition to an otherwise thrill park.
If you go to the top right corner of this thread there should be a button that says watch and you can choose to have notifications with or without email - I hope that helps! It's happened to me as well.

PerGron

I’d like to throw out The Wild Thornberrys as a really solid choice. I feel like there’s a ton of things you could do with this property for a dark ride, be it a sightseeing safari, a wild Jeep chase, flying on a bird, or something totally different. Plus, Nigel Thornberry is an ICON

Disneylover152

My initial first idea is DuckTales, but to be honest, I'm 18 so I don't know much else from the pre-2000s era of animation, so I imagine DuckTales may not be viewed as creative enough, so I'd love to hear some ideas (as long as you can explain the gist of the show haha)!
Yeah, I'm 17, the only pre-200s animated original IP shows I've seen are Pink Panther and Scooby Do haha. That said I'd be happy to research anything the more knowledgable team decides.

Good thing half the members on this team are 2000 kids, lol. I'm 17 years and really do not know much about pre-2000 cartoon shows!

But what about the Jetsons? Imagine at Universal Studios, you have a classic dark ride located near MIB where you travel through the future when the Jetsons. Maybe you can board a UFO?

1591421600229.png

goofyyukyuk

Good thing half the members on this team are 2000 kids, lol. I'm 17 years and really do not know much about pre-2000 cartoon shows!

But what about the Jetsons? Imagine at Universal Studios, you have a classic dark ride located near MIB where you travel through the future when the Jetsons. Maybe you can board a UFO?

View attachment 474840
Cool idea! Okay, so I also know the Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Pink Panther, and Scooby Doo haha... but I don't know the more obscure stuff.

orlando678-

Hmm maybe we should settle on a studio we are most familiar/comfortable with. Back in the days there was usually some sort of division between Disney kids, Nick kids, CN kids etc. Personally I have no real preference but im most familiar with Disney or Nickelodeon.

PerGron

So my biggest issue with going with Ducktales or something similar is the same issue most of us had with Lord of the Rings. It’s so overdone and definitely will hurt us on the creativity part. The biggest difference with LotR and Ducktales is Ducktales is even more prominently featured in Imagineering competitions, especially recently, so personally I’d err on the side of caution and avoid Ducktales.

So since most of this team wasn’t alive in the pre-2000s (I myself was only alive for a year of it) I can definitely see where certain ideas would be more difficult, but honestly I think if we’re going to nail this project we may want to go digging a bit more than our comfort zone.

I’ve compiled a few concepts to look into and I’ve done it by program network so we’ll know where to use them. I’ve avoided the obvious inclusions like Ducktales and Animaniacs as those two especially are very popular in armchair imagineering. I’ve bolded some of my favorites, and by all means it’s not nearly comprehensive, but I thought some of these would be great choices

Disney
- Inspector Gadget
- Gummi Bears
- Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
- Gargoyles
- Darkwing Duck
- TaleSpin

Nickelodeon
- Ren & Stimpy
- Rugrats
- The Wild Thornberrys
- Hey Arnold
- SpongeBob Squarepants

Cartoon Network
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Ed, Edd n Eddy
- Powerpuff Girls

Hanna-Barberra
- The Flintstones
- The Jetsons
- Yogi Bear
- Scooby-Doo
- Johnny Quest
- Tom and Jerry

Other
- He Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Thundercats
- The Smurfs
- Captain Planet
- South Park

orlando678-

So my biggest issue with going with Ducktales or something similar is the same issue most of us had with Lord of the Rings. It’s so overdone and definitely will hurt us on the creativity part. The biggest difference with LotR and Ducktales is Ducktales is even more prominently featured in Imagineering competitions, especially recently, so personally I’d err on the side of caution and avoid Ducktales.

So since most of this team wasn’t alive in the pre-2000s (I myself was only alive for a year of it) I can definitely see where certain ideas would be more difficult, but honestly I think if we’re going to nail this project we may want to go digging a bit more than our comfort zone.

I’ve compiled a few concepts to look into and I’ve done it by program network so we’ll know where to use them. I’ve avoided the obvious inclusions like Ducktales and Animaniacs as those two especially are very popular in armchair imagineering. I’ve bolded some of my favorites, and by all means it’s not nearly comprehensive, but I thought some of these would be great choices

Disney
- Inspector Gadget
- Gummi Bears
- Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
- Gargoyles
- Darkwing Duck
- TaleSpin

Nickelodeon
- Ren & Stimpy
- Rugrats
- The Wild Thornberrys
- Hey Arnold
- SpongeBob Squarepants

Cartoon Network
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Ed, Edd n Eddy
- Powerpuff Girls

Hanna-Barberra
- The Flintstones
- The Jetsons
- Yogi Bear
- Scooby-Doo
- Johnny Quest
- Tom and Jerry

Other
- He Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Thundercats
- The Smurfs
- Captain Planet
- South Park
Im most familiar with spongebob, the hanna barberra franchises and the smurfs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom