Team Citra Brainstorming Thread - Project Two: The Golf War

DashHaber

Now that we've settled on the broad theme, let's start handing out positions!

This doesn't mean an end to broad brainstorming, if you think have a better idea than Atlantis or any of the ideas presented up in this thread to this point, please share it!

Hole Design
-Holes 1-6
-Holes 7-12-@NigelChanning09
-Holes 13-18
Story and Presentation
-Backstory, Intro and Conclusion
-Map and Concept Art
-Editor and Compiler/Final Presentation Creator

Red
-Unclaimed
Yellow-In Progress
Green- Finished

Please try to sign up by the end of today and finish your part by 1PM EST/10 AM PST June 5th to give time for the editor and compiler plenty of time to finish his/her part.
I'll take on Holes 1-6.

@NigelChanning09 , if you wouldn't mind sending me a private message about the broad ideas you're going with for holes 7-12, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to design holes 1-6 with a natural flow to what you're making.

Brer Panther

Now that we've settled on the broad theme, let's start handing out positions!

This doesn't mean an end to broad brainstorming, if you think have a better idea than Atlantis or any of the ideas presented up in this thread to this point, please share it!

Hole Design
-Holes 1-6-@DashHaber
-Holes 7-12-@NigelChanning09

-Holes 13-18
Story and Presentation
-Backstory, Intro and Conclusion
-Map and Concept Art
-Editor and Compiler/Final Presentation Creator

Red
-Unclaimed
Yellow-In Progress
Green- Finished

Please try to sign up by the end of today and finish your part by 1PM EST/10 AM PST June 5th to give time for the editor and compiler plenty of time to finish his/her part.
I can do Holes 13-18.

Sharon&Susan

We need an icon that can draw people over. What about a temple that can is mostly submerged within a lake? There'd be a cave or research building that serves as the entrance and takes us to the showbuilding.

NigelChanning

We need an icon that can draw people over. What about a temple that can is mostly submerged within a lake? There'd be a cave or research building that serves as the entrance and takes us to the showbuilding.
Marine Life Institute?
A6E0D16D-A049-412F-9689-C24BF714728E.jpeg

We are then directed to the Atlantis Research Department (someone might have a better name for this) where the head of the department is a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers a.k.a SEA. If you don’t know what that is @Sharon&Susan , it’s a running storyline within the disney parks including rides like Jungle Cruise , Mystic Manor, and Tower of Terror (Tokyo version). Whether to include SEA is entirely your choice.

JokersWild

In terms of story at least I don’t think that we need anything too in-depth or groundbreaking. It’s mini-golf; guests aren’t playing to see a story.

I’m trying to write a few pitches right now. I’ll have at least two for you in an hour. Obviously we don’t have to go with them; I’d just rather us all be on a the same page before we start designing stuff.

NigelChanning

In terms of story at least I don’t think that we need anything too in-depth or groundbreaking. It’s mini-golf; guests aren’t playing to see a story.

I’m trying to write a few pitches right now. I’ll have at least two for you in an hour. Obviously we don’t have to go with them; I’d just rather us all be on a the same page before we start designing stuff.
I at least think we need to have a story in mind even though it probably won’t matter to the course itself. It’s what makes Disney Disney. Blizzard Beach didn’t have to have a story but it did and it adds some interesting lore to the water park.

Sharon&Susan

Marine Life Institute?
View attachment 474420
We are then directed to the Atlantis Research Department (someone might have a better name for this) where the head of the department is a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers a.k.a SEA. If you don’t know what that is @Sharon&Susan , it’s a running storyline within the disney parks including rides like Jungle Cruise , Mystic Manor, and Tower of Terror (Tokyo version). Whether to include SEA is entirely your choice.
I'd be fine with using SEA if it can enhance the overall experience. If we do use SEA I wouldn't recommend to use the Marine Life Institute, as I think it clashes to have this modern aquarium along with the early 20th century SEA members.

Having an original setting like the Aquatic Adventurers Headquarters or something similar, would work well with SEA and we wouldn't have to explain why a Institute concerned with sea life is getting involved with an archeoligical explidition.

NigelChanning

I'd be fine with using SEA if it can enhance the overall experience. If we do use SEA I wouldn't recommend to use the Marine Life Institute, as I think it clashes to have this modern aquarium along with the early 20th century SEA members.

Having an original setting like the Aquatic Adventurers Headquarters or something similar, would work well with SEA and we wouldn't have to explain why a Institute concerned with sea life is getting involved with an archeoligical explidition.
That’s what I thought. I’d be way better if we chose on or the other. It’s up to you to decide how much of SEA we want to include however. There is a member named Mary Oceaneer, who specializes in the ocean and got stranded on Typhoon Lagoon (water park in WDW) so maybe she can be the mascot along with her parrot sidekick

JokersWild

I at least think we need to have a story in mind even though it probably won’t matter to the course itself. It’s what makes Disney Disney. Blizzard Beach didn’t have to have a story but it did and it adds some interesting lore to the water park.
Oh absolutely we should have something in mind and presented. I just don’t think that it should be this huge in-depth story, if you get what I’m saying.

Personally I’d rather not work with SEA. As much as I love SEA, I’d rather do something more original.

The ideas I have so far, based partially on what we’ve discussed already are:

.Atlantis - story is told visually and through notes at each hole. Loosely follows expedition notes of an explorer.
.Deep Sea Expedition - indoors. Guests golf around/ through underwater research facility.
.Kaiju (the weird one) - guests golf through undersea mining operation, coming face to face with the angry beast the miners have awoken. Could make for a really stunning final hole.

Sharon&Susan

That’s what I thought. I’d be way better if we chose on or the other. It’s up to you to decide how much of SEA we want to include however. There is a member named Mary Oceaneer, who specializes in the ocean and got stranded on Typhoon Lagoon (water park in WDW) so maybe she can be the mascot along with her parrot sidekick
There's also characters like Doctor J.L. Baterista who haven't been used yet or even have someone new (could be explained as the replacement member for Hightower) and have them be an expert at archeology to distance them from Oceaneer.

NigelChanning

Oh absolutely we should have something in mind and presented. I just don’t think that it should be this huge in-depth story, if you get what I’m saying.

Personally I’d rather not work with SEA. As much as I love SEA, I’d rather do something more original.

The ideas I have so far, based partially on what we’ve discussed already are:

.Atlantis - story is told visually and through notes at each hole. Loosely follows expedition notes of an explorer.
.Deep Sea Expedition - indoors. Guests golf around/ through underwater research facility.
.Kaiju (the weird one) - guests golf through undersea mining operation, coming face to face with the angry beast the miners have awoken. Could make for a really stunning final hole.
I really like all of them but Kaiju sounds the most unique and intriguing. I don’t know if we’re using SEA anymore (we may have to vote on it) but we could tie it to them if we wanted.

JokersWild

I really like all of them but Kaiju sounds the most unique and intriguing. I don’t know if we’re using SEA anymore (we may have to vote on it) but we could tie it to them if we wanted.
Totally. I’d rather not personally, but if you guys want to I have no real problem with it. I think I’m leaning towards kaiju as well if only because I want to see that 18th hole.

Sharon&Susan

Totally. I’d rather not personally, but if you guys want to I have no real problem with it. I think I’m leaning towards kaiju as well if only because I want to see that 18th hole.
I really like Kaiju as well, my only concern is that a monster attack might be at odds with the slow pace of mini golf.

JokersWild

I really like Kaiju as well, my only concern is that a monster attack might be at odds with the slow pace of mini golf.
My thought for it wouldn’t necessarily be a physical attack, but hints of a rampaging monster in the later holes, with the 18th hole having guests put their ball into the monster itself. I don’t think that we would have to physically show any action.

If we do do this theme, giving it a 50s b-movie aesthetic could be a lot of fun as well.

DashHaber

Personally, I feel like the Atlantis idea could the best route to go with this. Perhaps the plot for this mini-golf course might be following an undersea expedition by a crew of explorers (perhaps known as the Mythological Investigation and Location Organization, or MILO) as they venture forth under the waves and discover the legendary city.

JokersWild

Just let me pitch this plot real quick. Then we don’t have to discuss it any further if it’s not something we want to do:

Golfzilla - The Beast 18 Holes Below!
1959. Following World War II, the United States Army began numerous research expeditions in hopes of finding new materials to stop the imposing Soviet Forces. Mining deep into the ocean’s depths, the army instead found something far more frightening. An ancient creature buried deep within the earth, dormant for millennia. Golfzilla. Now the creature is awake and he’s hungry for balls - golf balls.

Holes start above ground, work into deep sea facility/ mine shaft. Creatures nest. Final hole is kaiju attacking golf course outside. Guests putt down hole that the creature is trying to eat, straight into its’ mouth.

NigelChanning

Personally, I feel like the Atlantis idea could the best route to go with this. Perhaps the plot for this mini-golf course might be following an undersea expedition by a crew of explorers (perhaps known as the Mythological Investigation and Location Organization, or MILO) as they venture forth under the waves and discover the legendary city.
We can combine MILO with Kaiju if we wanted to. We venture out into the deep sea to discover the lost city of Atlantis only to encounter a sea monster that has been guarding the city for centuries.

NigelChanning

Just let me pitch this plot real quick. Then we don’t have to discuss it any further if it’s not something we want to do:

Golfzilla - The Beast 18 Holes Below!
1959. Following World War II, the United States Army began numerous research expeditions in hopes of finding new materials to stop the imposing Soviet Forces. Mining deep into the ocean’s depths, the army instead found something far more frightening. An ancient creature buried deep within the earth, dormant for millennia. Golfzilla. Now the creature is awake and he’s hungry for balls - golf balls.

Holes start above ground, work into deep sea facility/ mine shaft. Creatures nest. Final hole is kaiju attacking golf course outside. Guests putt down hole that the creature is trying to eat, straight into its’ mouth.
Personally, Golfzilla sounds a bit cheesy. I’m not saying that cheesy is bad (it is Disney after all), but I don’t know if it’ll feel detached from the rest of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom