TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like the partnership... but I'm a tad worried the update will be more about the brand injection then it is about show quality.. which is is really what the attraction needed which is a a reimagining of those segements to refresh them and make them a bit more relevant to today's audiences.

Cautiously optimistic... having any sort of a 'disney vault' on TCM sounds fantastic too. No idea why in the era of 10,000 cable channels Disney hasn't done this themselves already.. but I'm hopeful!

TeriofTerror

"In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of 'Treasures From the Disney Vault'."
Cockles officially warmed.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I actually don't think the ride itself is in need of much for show scenes, so this is great news to me.
Based on my last few rides, what it really needs are CMs that care about the script they are given. The last ride was so bad I couldn't pick one word out of her bored mumble.

Kman101

I don't necessarily think many scenes truly need to change in the ride (Tarzan, I'm looking at you though). That's just all of us wanting that. It does need some upgrades in terms of animatronics (They could do a lot better now and THOSE to me are what seems the most "dated" about the ride) and work needs to be done, but the ride itself is fine. I'd suggest just keeping the more popular gangster script and dropping the cowboy one, but again, just a personal wish not a necessity. The ride has worked this long as it is, I don't think adding, say, Titanic would make it any less better or worse. Nothing wrong with celebrating the classic movies and I'm glad this tie-in will do that. And besides, the pre-show and end film clips are something almost everyone's been asking to be changed and now it will. Let's take baby steps here and hope maybe down the road they can refurbish the ride. And just because it doesn't say so in the article doesn't mean it can't happen. I just don't think they'd take the ride down for long considering everything else that's closed. This COULD lead to something.

I like that there's attention going to the ride, even if it doesn't mean the hope of scenes changing doesn't happen. I don't think that should really be seen as a negative, IMO. This is a very positive step for the attraction and I think the tie-in is perfect.

I think it's clear they want to keep the theme of 1920s-1940s Hollywood. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The best news, I agree, was about the classic movies/specials airing on TCM. But this is a smart sponsorship I've seen so many suggest and now it's happening.

And the poster looks fantastic. I like it.

the.dreamfinder

I like the partnership... but I'm a tad worried the update will be more about the brand injection then it is about show quality.. which is is really what the attraction needed which is a a reimagining of those segements to refresh them and make them a bit more relevant to today's audiences.

Cautiously optimistic... having any sort of a 'disney vault' on TCM sounds fantastic too. No idea why in the era of 10,000 cable channels Disney hasn't done this themselves already.. but I'm hopeful!
From the article
Jennifer Dorian, general manager of TCM, echoed Mr. Castro in describing the “multifaceted creative collaboration” called for under the new agreement as “truly a natural fit.” That is important in content marketing, she said, lest TCM viewers and Disney World guests deem the partnership inauthentic.

Disney World, Disneyland and El Capitan are examples of what is known as experiential marketing, which gives consumers a chance to experience brands in tangible form. TCM has been delving into experiential marketing with steps that include, in addition to the cruises and film festivals, guided tours with classic-movies themes in Los Angeles and New York; auctions of film memorabilia by Bonhams that are “presented by TCM”; and annual screenings of “Miracle on 34th Street” outside the Macy’s Herald Square store that is key to the movie’s plot.

Kman101

They don't need to throw in Titanic or Frozen to make the ride relevant. I get the whole "it needs to be relevant" but they are. Indiana Jones, Alien, Wizard of Oz ... they are relevant. It's just people wanting to see something new in the ride, which I understand.

Why does everything need to be Disneyfied or "modern"? This is how those movies REMAIN relevant. Sorry if a guest doesn't want to educate themselves on the movies in the ride.

aladdin2007

For years now I have been asking why TCM has not been the sponsor of the attraction, glad to see the news. I think with TCM involved you can expect to see a bit more TLC than it has had in the past. It will be kept classy. Love the network, and even with branding here and there will still integrated nicely I think. Long overdue! Will be fun to see Robert Osborne included as part of new video footage.

Kman101

And the ride is dated because the scenes themselves are old. If the scenes were truly "refreshed" and not changed out (a couple COULD be), it wouldn't be as glaring. The ride needs major TLC more than it needs scenes switched out at this point. But a switch out here and there of some scenes could/probably should happen at some point.

Mike S

They don't need to throw in Titanic or Frozen to make the ride relevant. I get the whole "it needs to be relevant" but they are. Indiana Jones, Alien, Wizard of Oz ... they are relevant. It's just people wanting to see something new in the ride, which I understand.

Why does everything need to be Disneyfied or "modern"? This is how those movies REMAIN relevant. Sorry if a guest doesn't want to educate themselves on the movies in the ride.
Take away Tarzan for Star Wars and you're pretty much done. Or Planet of the Apes, that would be a good choice too.

Kman101

Take away Tarzan for Star Wars and you're pretty much done. Or Planet of the Apes, that would be a good choice too.

Planet of the Apes is an excellent choice. Or Guardians of the Galaxy (for those who want MODERN and CONTEMPORARY)

I love the Alien scene but that screams for a Star Wars light saber battle. Man I want a Star Wars dark ride.

ProfSavage

Planet of the Apes is an excellent choice. Or Guardians of the Galaxy (for those who want MODERN and CONTEMPORARY)

I love the Alien scene but that screams for a Star Wars light saber battle. Man I want a Star Wars dark ride.

Genius. Take out Tarzan.

Add this:

-aFHRmnBWcgd4NQowvspyUc0icU_

Animaniac93-98

No idea why in the era of 10,000 cable channels Disney hasn't done this themselves already

This is the same company that released Westward Ho the Wagons! (a movie shot in CinemaScope) to DVD in 2011 with a pan and scan transfer, because it was cheaper to recycle an existing home video master than do a new print scan and restoration.

When it comes to their back cataloge, Disney is generally careless and clueless. This all comes from the attitude that anything that doesn't support current brand and marketing efforts, is a waste of company resources. The only reason the Walt Disney Treasures DVD line lasted as long as it did was D*ck Cook and Roy E. Disney were major supporters of it and had influence in the company. Once they were gone, so were the DVDs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom