TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Mike S

Can't wait to see what they do with it. The movies at the beginning and end are the easiest to fix so no wonder focus is going there first. I just hope sometime down the road we get a full refurbishment with maybe a replacement for Tarzan (I can dream). There really is no one more perfect to have as a sponsor, bravo Disney. I'm also excited to see those old Disney shows come on TV :)

the.dreamfinder

It's a nice bit of marketing that also manages to counter the argument for it all being old movies nobody has heard of - when presented like that they all fit perfectly, it's the classic movies era. Nobody's going to look at that poster and wonder why Titanic or Avatar aren't there.
If they eventually add new scenes, I would love to see George Melies' "Trip To The Moon" which would be perfect for a dark ride. After all, Georges Méliès was James Cameron before James Cameron was James Cameron and the ride currently lacks a proper prescence for one of its founding fathers and silent film.

Last edited:

lebeau

Another good point - this sponsorship is clearly targeting GMR at an older, more mature audience, instead of just kids. It's a thinking person's attraction.

Could it be the days of Disney not wanting to do anything that doesn't exclusively appeal to 6 year old kids might be coming to an end? Anna and Elsa must be annoyed they've been overlooked this time!

Don't read too much into it. It's a sponsorship. When has Disney ever turned down a sponsor?

Cmdr_Crimson

It will be nice to see this..I mean the majority of films that are in the ride (Footlight Parade, Singing in the Rain, Public Enemy, The Searchers, The Clint Eastwood westerns. Tarzan, Casablanca, And Wizard of Oz) being under the MGM/Warner Bros rights It would make sense that the company that owns the majority of Films would help out and I think that's good.

Goofyernmost

Another good point - this sponsorship is clearly targeting GMR at an older, more mature audience, instead of just kids. It's a thinking person's attraction.

Could it be the days of Disney not wanting to do anything that doesn't exclusively appeal to 6 year old kids might be coming to an end? Anna and Elsa must be annoyed they've been overlooked this time!
In my opinion, GMR has always been targeting an older, more mature audience. I don't see any change other then making it more clear (I don't know how it could be any clearer then it is now) that these are older classic movies not current ones. Everything in there is catered to my age group, even WoOz. Since it is still being shown yearly we tend to think it is a current movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom